Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hello from CA!

  1. #1

    Default Hello from CA!

    Hello! My name is Katie- I'm a mom to four, ages 6 months to 8. We are looking to homeschool full time in the fall- though my 8 year old is getting out of her public school next week to finish off the school year. This is all so new to us- and of course we are a bit overwhelmed. Looking forward to learning here and getting to know some like minded people!

  2. Ratings Request Leaderboard
  3. #2

    Default

    Welcome and Hello Katie,

    I am new to the site as well as homeschooling. My daughter is finishing up first grade in public school and then we are starting this adventure. Everyone here is full of knowledge and welcoming. What made you want to homeschool if you don't mind me asking? For us, my daughter is becoming bored and not being challenged enough. She started saying how she didn't want to attend school and I don't want her to lose her passion for knowledge this young.

    By the way, I'm Ashley

  4. #3

    Default

    Hi Katie,
    I am new to all this site as well. WELCOME. We are also originally from Southern California... as a matter of fact we go back Monday for visit
    Elizabeth

    Homeschooling my 2 eleven year old boys (third year)

    Life coaching my 1 twenty-one year old man-child

  5. #4
    Senior Member Arrived TFZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,609
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Welcome to the forum We are finishing up our kindergarten-ish year over the next few weeks. It's been great. Glad to have you with us! I've learned a ton here.
    I'm a work-at-home mom to three, homeschool enthusiast, and avid planner fueled by lattes and Florida sunshine. My oldest is 6 and is a fircond grader (that's somewhere between first and second, naturally), my preschooler just told me she wants to learn how to read, and my toddler is a force of nature.

    I gather all kinds of secular homeschool resources and share them at TheHomeschoolResourceRoom.com.

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsCajun View Post
    Welcome and Hello Katie,

    I am new to the site as well as homeschooling. My daughter is finishing up first grade in public school and then we are starting this adventure. Everyone here is full of knowledge and welcoming. What made you want to homeschool if you don't mind me asking? For us, my daughter is becoming bored and not being challenged enough. She started saying how she didn't want to attend school and I don't want her to lose her passion for knowledge this young.

    By the way, I'm Ashley
    Hi Ashley!Nice to "meet" you

    Why are we choosing to homeschool? Well a few reasons but the one that really made us move forward was that my 8 year old has been having a hard time this year in second grade. We first thought it was just her chronic illness making her have a hard time- (which is definitely part of it for sure) but then I realized that she went from LOVING to learn last year, to literally hating it. She hasn't read a book for fun in months, she hasn't done math for fun either (which used to be her FAVORITE subject!!). She is having anxiety and quit softball (which she used to love). She HATES school, and she used to love it. Basically- she's in a kind of depression. She's finishing the year through the district's home study school (to tie things up easily) and then most likely in the fall I will homeschool her and her 6 year old brother. He is in kinder and is very bright- we feel like his time is wasted in public school. Plus he also kind of hates it too. Like you- we don't want our kids to lose the passion for leanring- and my 8 year old already has

  7. #6
    Site Admin Arrived Topsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,728
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Thrilled to have you at SHS, Katie. I totally and completely understand that overwhelmed feeling. It's completely natural to be nervous about taking your kiddos' education into your own hands. The thing that began making it easier for me, especially over time, was realizing that a homeschool parent is more a "facilitator" than a teacher. When you help your kids understand HOW to get knowledge, instead of just imparting knowledge TO them, you are actually preparing them for a full lifetime of learning. In fact, the most fun part of the whole homeschool experience was "relearning" everything right alongside my kids. It brought freshness to the experience when I would think of it that way. You and your kids are embarking on a new learning adventure - - together. And what's cooler than that?!


  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kthigh View Post
    Hi Ashley!Nice to "meet" you

    Why are we choosing to homeschool? Well a few reasons but the one that really made us move forward was that my 8 year old has been having a hard time this year in second grade. We first thought it was just her chronic illness making her have a hard time- (which is definitely part of it for sure) but then I realized that she went from LOVING to learn last year, to literally hating it. She hasn't read a book for fun in months, she hasn't done math for fun either (which used to be her FAVORITE subject!!). She is having anxiety and quit softball (which she used to love). She HATES school, and she used to love it. Basically- she's in a kind of depression. She's finishing the year through the district's home study school (to tie things up easily) and then most likely in the fall I will homeschool her and her 6 year old brother. He is in kinder and is very bright- we feel like his time is wasted in public school. Plus he also kind of hates it too. Like you- we don't want our kids to lose the passion for leanring- and my 8 year old already has

    Nice to meet you as well!
    I am sorry to hear about your daughter having such a rough time, it's difficult when we can't just fix it for them. I truly hope everything turns around in time and her love of learning returns. It sounds like homeschooling is the best option. I understand the depression and anxiety as I have severe ptsd from the Army but when a child starts feeling that way, it breaks my heart.

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topsy View Post
    Thrilled to have you at SHS, Katie. I totally and completely understand that overwhelmed feeling. It's completely natural to be nervous about taking your kiddos' education into your own hands. The thing that began making it easier for me, especially over time, was realizing that a homeschool parent is more a "facilitator" than a teacher. When you help your kids understand HOW to get knowledge, instead of just imparting knowledge TO them, you are actually preparing them for a full lifetime of learning. In fact, the most fun part of the whole homeschool experience was "relearning" everything right alongside my kids. It brought freshness to the experience when I would think of it that way. You and your kids are embarking on a new learning adventure - - together. And what's cooler than that?!
    Hi Topsy! Thank you so much- I am actually really excited to learn along side them- SO excited! And nervous...haha

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us

SecularHomeschool.com was created to provide information, resources, and a place to share and connect with secular homeschoolers across the world. Secularhomeschool.com aims to be your one-stop shop for all things homeschool! We will be highlighting information about wonderful secular homeschool resources, and keeping you up to date with what is going on in the world of secular homeschooling. But that is only the beginning. SHS is your playground. A place to share the things that are important to you. A place to create and join groups that share your interests. A place to give and get advice. There are no limits to what you can do at Secular Homeschool, so join today and help build the community you have always wanted.

SecularHomeschool.com is a community and information source where secular homeschoolers ARE the majority. It is the home for non-religious homeschoolers, eclectic homeschoolers, freethinking homeschoolers AND anyone interested in homeschooling irrespective of religion. This site is an INCLUSIVE community that recognizes that homeschoolers choose secular homeschool materials and resources for a variety of reasons and to accomplish a variety of personal and educational goals. Although SecularHomeschool.com, and its members, have worked hard to compile a comprehensive directory of secular curricula, it does not attest that all materials advertised on our site, in our newsletters, or on our social media profiles are 100% secular. Rather, SecularHomeschool.com respects the aptitude of each individual homeschool parent to fully research any curriculum before acquiring it, to ensure that it holistically meets the educational, personal, and philosophical goals of each homeschooler.

Join us
Hello from CA!