Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Can I say thanks?

    Well I will anyway, THANK YOU!

    My parents and I rarely talk, about 5 times a year when they send stuff to our kids. I call so that the kids can thank them properly for the gifts. Other than that, no contact. So my son turned 5 just over a week ago and they had sent a card with some cash and he was talking to them and it became my turn. We chatted for a bit and our decision to homeschool came up. Fortunately I was able to use every bit of knowledge I have learned from here on them. Everything from the socialization issue to keeping high school transcripts, they couldn't shake me.....and ugh did they try!

    One thing that has me so baffled. They saw how I got pushed through high school and graduate when I really shouldn't have. But now public school is the best option for their grandkids. I still don't get it.
    Angela
    The Pagan Mom Blog

    Mom to Alex (5), Claire (8), and Molly (10).

  2. Ratings Request Leaderboard
  3. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paganmomblog View Post
    Well I will anyway, THANK YOU!

    My parents and I rarely talk, about 5 times a year when they send stuff to our kids. I call so that the kids can thank them properly for the gifts. Other than that, no contact. So my son turned 5 just over a week ago and they had sent a card with some cash and he was talking to them and it became my turn. We chatted for a bit and our decision to homeschool came up. Fortunately I was able to use every bit of knowledge I have learned from here on them. Everything from the socialization issue to keeping high school transcripts, they couldn't shake me.....and ugh did they try!

    One thing that has me so baffled. They saw how I got pushed through high school and graduate when I really shouldn't have. But now public school is the best option for their grandkids. I still don't get it.
    My mother never got it either, and it was a thorn between us. All I could say to her after a while, is that they are my children and it is my choice. It was a big elephant in the room for years.

    A couple of years before she passed, she wanted me to homeschool my niece that she was raising. I said no, and she went on to tell me that my children had turned out so well. They were respectful, and honest, and open, and interacted well with each other, younger children, & their elders. That she wished she had followed my lead and homeschooled my niece.

    It was helpful to know that she didn't think I screwed them up totally. But after years of hearing how must I was going to damage my children, it was a little late. Luckily my father was alway for homeschooling, but he is in Alaska so there was no local supprot.

    I hear you, loud and clear !! hugs.
    Jana - Better Early than Late. Secular Homeschoolers! Combined family with 7 adult children and...

    StartingOver again with our younger ones:


    Quince - aka Word Smith ( 10 ) -
    Emma - aka Perfectionist ( 8 ) A History of Us, Book Shark History and Literature, Human Odssey, Saxon 6/5 ( Quince ) Saxon 7/6 ( Emma ), Madrigal's Spanish, , Latin Prep 1, First Form Latin ( Secular enough for me ), Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage, Analytical Grammar, IEW SWI A, and tons of literature.






  4. #3
    Senior Member Enlightened ercswf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    218
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I'm sorry you have to deal with that. So far I only have one person in my whole family against homeschooling. Other then that I have not only my parents but hubbies parents and all of our grandparents support. (and when it comes to socialization I have a neighbor that asked if they have ever tried to get out of our driveways because kids are in a swarm around our house most)

    I'm sure that over time she will get used to the idea, and if not it's not like you have to spend that much time with them. (my mother lives next door to me so it would be really bad if she objected)

  5. #4

    Default

    Is homeschooling just one of many issues or THE issue that keeps you out of contact with your folks?
    Brandi
    Alabama Gulf Coaster,
    Learning and loving life with DS 6 and hubby of 21 years

    DS is in public school, but we enrich and expand at home

  6. #5

    Default

    Thanks! Someday I am just going to learn not to bother telling them anything about our lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaB2C View Post
    Is homeschooling just one of many issues or THE issue that keeps you out of contact with your folks?
    No, they just found out about homeschooling. They never call me and I only call when the kids get stuff for their birthdays. The issues are basically this, my mother hates me. She has told me since I can remember that she wishes she had an abortion. She has always told me it's my fault she is a failure. And her favorite thing to tell me is that I have s__t for brains. My father, whom I love dearly, is a moron for staying with her because she is a horrible woman to him. Last time my kids even saw them she spent all of her time screaming at him that he was a f_____g moron. Once my eldest, at the age of 4, asked me why Grandma was so mean. Hence why there is very little contact.
    Angela
    The Pagan Mom Blog

    Mom to Alex (5), Claire (8), and Molly (10).

  7. #6

    Default

    Oh man! You are stronger (and way nicer) than I am, girl, for even accepting gifts or making the thank you calls. I would have personectomied her from my life completely.

    I wouldn't even bother trying to tell her anything of importance from now on, unless you want the practice of defending your choices (which is a valid reason to start arguments in my opinion). Thank you for the gifts, we're doing great, buh bye now!
    Brandi
    Alabama Gulf Coaster,
    Learning and loving life with DS 6 and hubby of 21 years

    DS is in public school, but we enrich and expand at home

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaB2C View Post
    Oh man! You are stronger (and way nicer) than I am, girl, for even accepting gifts or making the thank you calls. I would have personectomied her from my life completely.

    I wouldn't even bother trying to tell her anything of importance from now on, unless you want the practice of defending your choices (which is a valid reason to start arguments in my opinion). Thank you for the gifts, we're doing great, buh bye now!
    Yea, I admit I am a pretty big idiot when it comes to my parents. Keep hoping one day that she might love me. There is nothing in the world worse than knowing your mother doesn't love you. For now I do not close the communication because one of her many faults was jealousy. She hated my close relationship with her mother and did whatever she could to destroy it (and failed). So I don't do that. My kids don't know the dirty secrets of our past. They just know we don't get along but they are welcome to talk to her anytime they want. I refuse to be accused of keeping them from her. As of now they don't have any real interest and I am not ashamed to say I feel relieved by that.
    Angela
    The Pagan Mom Blog

    Mom to Alex (5), Claire (8), and Molly (10).

  9. #8
    schwartzkari
    Guest

    Default

    Good for you for standing up for yourself and your children! I have a good relationship with my own mother but I can definitely relate to you when it comes to my relationship with my grandmother (mom's mom.) She's been negative towards me since the day I was born. I moved here to Texas 10 years ago with my family and barely talked to my grandmother. She moved here last year and now lives only 15 minutes away from my apartment. I still don't talk to her. She is emotionally abusive and completely stuck in the past. I don't blame you one bit for not communicating with your mother. I only talk to my grandmother when she sends birthday money for my kids OR we have a family get together (which is rare.).

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwartzkari View Post
    Good for you for standing up for yourself and your children! I have a good relationship with my own mother but I can definitely relate to you when it comes to my relationship with my grandmother (mom's mom.) She's been negative towards me since the day I was born. I moved here to Texas 10 years ago with my family and barely talked to my grandmother. She moved here last year and now lives only 15 minutes away from my apartment. I still don't talk to her. She is emotionally abusive and completely stuck in the past. I don't blame you one bit for not communicating with your mother. I only talk to my grandmother when she sends birthday money for my kids OR we have a family get together (which is rare.).

    Big hugs for you! And shame on your grandmother.
    Angela
    The Pagan Mom Blog

    Mom to Alex (5), Claire (8), and Molly (10).

  11. #10

    Default

    Yea, I admit I am a pretty big idiot when it comes to my parents. Keep hoping one day that she might love me.
    You're not an idiot, you are a person who wants to be loved and accepted. That makes you human! And, I've read your blog. You are a person I find easy to respect

    I dunno if it's any consolidation, but your description of your mother's abuse (constant jealousy and belittling) sounds like she has a personality disorder. Have you looked into them at all?
    Brandi
    Alabama Gulf Coaster,
    Learning and loving life with DS 6 and hubby of 21 years

    DS is in public school, but we enrich and expand at home

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us

SecularHomeschool.com was created to provide information, resources, and a place to share and connect with secular homeschoolers across the world. Secularhomeschool.com aims to be your one-stop shop for all things homeschool! We will be highlighting information about wonderful secular homeschool resources, and keeping you up to date with what is going on in the world of secular homeschooling. But that is only the beginning. SHS is your playground. A place to share the things that are important to you. A place to create and join groups that share your interests. A place to give and get advice. There are no limits to what you can do at Secular Homeschool, so join today and help build the community you have always wanted.

SecularHomeschool.com is a community and information source where secular homeschoolers ARE the majority. It is the home for non-religious homeschoolers, eclectic homeschoolers, freethinking homeschoolers AND anyone interested in homeschooling irrespective of religion. This site is an INCLUSIVE community that recognizes that homeschoolers choose secular homeschool materials and resources for a variety of reasons and to accomplish a variety of personal and educational goals. Although SecularHomeschool.com, and its members, have worked hard to compile a comprehensive directory of secular curricula, it does not attest that all materials advertised on our site, in our newsletters, or on our social media profiles are 100% secular. Rather, SecularHomeschool.com respects the aptitude of each individual homeschool parent to fully research any curriculum before acquiring it, to ensure that it holistically meets the educational, personal, and philosophical goals of each homeschooler.

Join us
Can I say thanks?