Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Project Based Learning

    Hello,

    Can anyone please help me to get resources and ideas for project based learning for a gifted child of 2nd grade? Specially science as a core. Any book, project ideas, project subjects, any website to look at, anything will be helpful for me.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. Ratings Request Leaderboard
  3. #2

    Default

    Are you looking for a science-based sort of project that can incorporate most of the other subjects?
    I think generally, you would start with a project/interest the kid has in mind, and go from there.
    For example, if your 2nd grader had a passion for honey making, your project could be setting up a business at the local farmers market... and you would incorporate math, science, and possibly literature and social studies into that.

    Start with the interest, Im sure people can find relevant resources to help you with it.
    Homeschooling DS13, DS6.

    Atheist.

    My spelling was fine, then my brain left me.

  4. #3

    Default

    Like AM mentions - you start with the interest and go from there. There are no special resources to use with your child.

    If you are interested in learning more about homeschooling with project-based learning, I recommend Lori Pickert's website (About | Project Based Homeschooling) and her book, Project
    -Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
    . This will give you a good overview of how to implement it at home.
    A mama who teaches college writing, as well as help her 11-year-old in
    choosing his own life adventure. Using Global Village School to support our desire to develop a sense of social justice and global awareness.

  5. #4

    Default

    There are different takes on what project based learning can or should look like. To some people, project based learning is very child-led. To others, it's more top down. To others, it's somewhere in between. There are a lot of related takes on it like problem based learning. Reggio Emilia is a philosophy for young people that includes project learning that's child inspired but teacher led.

    There actually are special resources for it - check out Prufrock Press and Royal Fireworks Press for a couple of different places that you can buy premade units specifically for gifted kids. Moving Beyond the Pages is more unit studies, but it's also premade units, also geared toward gifted learners.

    I second reading Lori Pickert's book though. It's very good and may open up your mind to some less planned ways to approach project based learning. She has a much more unschoolish take on what project based learning should look like.

    You can also find something in between the extremes of unschooling and preplanned projects/units - you can take an interest of your child's and follow it with a project that you loosely plan yourselves - possibly something you mostly plan or something you explore together.

    In that spirit, you can just use any resources, but I find that books like the Build It Yourself series or books that have lots of different science experiments like 101 Great Science Experiments (and those are just two examples - there are tons of books like them from different publishers) are good resources for "winging it" so to speak.
    Want to read about my homeschool?
    http://farrarwilliams.wordpress.com
    Children's Books, Homeschooling and Random Musings...

    Want help homeschooling or sending kids to college?
    http://simplify4you.com/

  6. #5
    Senior Member Enlightened Artmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    160

    Default

    I have a 2nd grader and since we don't follow a curriculum we often have one subject inspire lessons/practice in another.

    There are lots of springboards you can start from. Often times museum web sites have educational resources and lesson plans available online. Other organizations too - for example the NY State Maple Association has a set of lessons about making maple syrup (Resources). A bit of binging on Youtube has inspired a few projects for us. I recommend Gross Science (https://www.youtube.com/user/grossscienceshow) and ASAP Science (https://www.youtube.com/user/AsapSCIENCE) - Just be sure to preview ASAP episodes first to make sure they are appropriate content for your comfort level (As you might expect the most watched list includes a lot about sex)

  7. #6

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom View Post
    Are you looking for a science-based sort of project that can incorporate most of the other subjects?
    I think generally, you would start with a project/interest the kid has in mind, and go from there.
    For example, if your 2nd grader had a passion for honey making, your project could be setting up a business at the local farmers market... and you would incorporate math, science, and possibly literature and social studies into that.

    Start with the interest, Im sure people can find relevant resources to help you with it.
    Thank you for your reply. Currently, I am in between of everything and overwhelmed. DS is always asking so many questions from history to Science. So, I am just noting down his questions and trying to go over them mainly from books and video lessons. Now, I feel like it would be great to go unit/project wise than running here and there, so that he can connect them all together. He is extremely interested in science and math for now. So, I am trying to get ideas to build up units or projects. I also need help regarding resources available according to his age.

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariam View Post
    Like AM mentions - you start with the interest and go from there. There are no special resources to use with your child.

    If you are interested in learning more about homeschooling with project-based learning, I recommend Lori Pickert's website (About | Project Based Homeschooling) and her book, Project
    -Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
    . This will give you a good overview of how to implement it at home.
    Thank you. I have ordered this book.

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrarwilliams View Post
    There are different takes on what project based learning can or should look like. To some people, project based learning is very child-led. To others, it's more top down. To others, it's somewhere in between. There are a lot of related takes on it like problem based learning. Reggio Emilia is a philosophy for young people that includes project learning that's child inspired but teacher led.

    There actually are special resources for it - check out Prufrock Press and Royal Fireworks Press for a couple of different places that you can buy premade units specifically for gifted kids. Moving Beyond the Pages is more unit studies, but it's also premade units, also geared toward gifted learners.

    I second reading Lori Pickert's book though. It's very good and may open up your mind to some less planned ways to approach project based learning. She has a much more unschoolish take on what project based learning should look like.

    You can also find something in between the extremes of unschooling and preplanned projects/units - you can take an interest of your child's and follow it with a project that you loosely plan yourselves - possibly something you mostly plan or something you explore together.

    In that spirit, you can just use any resources, but I find that books like the Build It Yourself series or books that have lots of different science experiments like 101 Great Science Experiments (and those are just two examples - there are tons of books like them from different publishers) are good resources for "winging it" so to speak.
    Thank you so much for the reply. I would really appreciate if you would suggest me how can I relate different units so that I can help DS to build up a strong basis for long term. Would you mind if I come back again for any suggestion on age appropriate books and any other resources available for any topic? Would you suggest any other sites like Teachers Pay Teachers?

    Thanks again!!

  11. #10

    Default

    There are lots of resources that could be helpful. So many that it is hard just to list them out, without knowing more specifically what you are looking for.

    We started science early too. DS is interested in engineering & physics, so we watched Bill Nye videos, created experiments and projects, read books about the different topics. There are so many great resources.

    On my blog, I list some resources that we used for different projects. I don't know if it will help. I don't talk about what we did, but I do have lists of information that we used.
    A mama who teaches college writing, as well as help her 11-year-old in
    choosing his own life adventure. Using Global Village School to support our desire to develop a sense of social justice and global awareness.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us

SecularHomeschool.com was created to provide information, resources, and a place to share and connect with secular homeschoolers across the world. Secularhomeschool.com aims to be your one-stop shop for all things homeschool! We will be highlighting information about wonderful secular homeschool resources, and keeping you up to date with what is going on in the world of secular homeschooling. But that is only the beginning. SHS is your playground. A place to share the things that are important to you. A place to create and join groups that share your interests. A place to give and get advice. There are no limits to what you can do at Secular Homeschool, so join today and help build the community you have always wanted.

SecularHomeschool.com is a community and information source where secular homeschoolers ARE the majority. It is the home for non-religious homeschoolers, eclectic homeschoolers, freethinking homeschoolers AND anyone interested in homeschooling irrespective of religion. This site is an INCLUSIVE community that recognizes that homeschoolers choose secular homeschool materials and resources for a variety of reasons and to accomplish a variety of personal and educational goals. Although SecularHomeschool.com, and its members, have worked hard to compile a comprehensive directory of secular curricula, it does not attest that all materials advertised on our site, in our newsletters, or on our social media profiles are 100% secular. Rather, SecularHomeschool.com respects the aptitude of each individual homeschool parent to fully research any curriculum before acquiring it, to ensure that it holistically meets the educational, personal, and philosophical goals of each homeschooler.

Join us
Project Based Learning