PDA

View Full Version : Gnocchi day/ Ñoquis del 29

bibiche
05-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Too late for this month, but we'll see you back here next month on the 29th. ;)

Who knew? Today DS gave a copy of his cookbook (a collection of his favorite recipes) to his art teacher. She leafed through it and said, "A recipe for gnocchi! Perfect! I can make them for my husband since it is the 29th." Huh? She explained that in Argentina (her husband is Argentine), everyone eats gnocchi on the 29th of every month. I had never heard of this and wondered if her husband was pulling her leg, but a quick google search revealed that, indeed, the Southern Cone eats gnocchi (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%91oquis_del_29) on the 29th (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042700695.html).

DS was thrilled to have an excuse to eat gnocchi and we made it when we got home. Here is his recipe:

1 pound baking potatoes, preferably old
2 egg yolks
salt, pepper, and nutmeg
3/4 C flour (more or less may be necessary)

Bake the potatoes and then rice them (you could boil them, but then you'd need to dry them out, so baking is easier).
Add the egg yolks, s&p, and nutmeg and mix it all up. Gradually add the flour. You want enough to add just enough to make a manageable dough. Give it a knead. Cut off a chunk and roll it on a lightly floured marble, board or counter top into a rope shape a little thicker than your [eight year old] thumb. With a bench scraper or a knife, cut the rope into 1/2 to one inch pieces. Roll these along the tines of a fork to give the gnocchi their distinctive shape and then put them on a floured tray in a single layer. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Cook the gnocchi in batches in some well-salted boiling water. After they rise to the surface, cook them for a couple minutes (don't let the water come to a boil again or the gnocchi might break apart) and remove with a strainer or slotted spoon.

Toss with some butter and freshly grated parmesan and black pepper, or with some pesto, or however you like them.

Oh, and we didn't read about this until after we'd eaten, but apparently you are supposed to put money under your plate to ensure good fortune in the coming month. Gnocchi Day! I love it.

Stella M
05-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Love it! Love gnocchi :)

I've written it on my calendar for June...

RachelC
05-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

dbmamaz
05-30-2013, 09:38 AM
oh, cool! i havent made them in at least a year, probably two. I managed to make them gluten free! Oh, and I nuked the potatotes (brown potatoes, not red or gold) and cut in half and pushed through a sieve, and that was fine. The flours i used tasted funny, so I'll have to work on that, but the texture was great! i had found a great video on youtube to show how to roll the dough shapes, too. I froze most of them raw, like frozen pasta, so we could take them out and boil them up or throw in a quick soup

RachelC
05-30-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't have a ricer and was thinking of just mashing, but I could push them through a sieve. Thanks for the idea, Cara.

bibiche
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
oh, cool! i havent made them in at least a year, probably two. I managed to make them gluten free! Oh, and I nuked the potatotes (brown potatoes, not red or gold) and cut in half and pushed through a sieve, and that was fine. The flours i used tasted funny, so I'll have to work on that, but the texture was great! Whole Foods sells something called Gluten-Free Pantry all purpose flour. I have a gluten free friend who swears by it. You could add a good pinch of baking powder to lighten up the dough.

I don't have a ricer and was thinking of just mashing, but I could push them through a sieve. Thanks for the idea, Cara.
Mashing is fine - at worst you will have a few lumps in your gnocchi. I didn't feel like pulling out my Mouli the other night so I just mashed mine and then smashed any stray lumps with a fork.

So sad that the 29th only comes once a month. ;)

dbmamaz
05-31-2013, 11:14 AM
I cant use any pre-made flour mixes, because i have allergies to two items usually in the mixes.

bibiche
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
I cant use any pre-made flour mixes, because i have allergies to two items usually in the mixes. Sorry to hear that. The ingredients in the one I mentioned are white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, guar gum, salt.

dbmamaz
05-31-2013, 01:12 PM
tapioca. nope. i make my own mixes. I use 15 flours regularly. its all good, I just need to use a different mix of my flours.

ThePanix
05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Husband hates gnocchis. :( The 29th would be a wretched day for him. Still, I serve it up a couple times a month just to watch him turn green with disgust. :_lol:

dbmamaz
05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
actually my hubby hated them, too, as did younger kid. we'll see if i can get them to eat it next time

bibiche
06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
It's gnocchi day again! Start your ovens!

MrsLOLcat
06-29-2013, 03:53 PM
LOL! I missed this post last month... I'm going to remember this!

dbmamaz
06-29-2013, 05:52 PM
wait, i did! i made them!! from scratch, gluten free . .. we're serving w pesto . . . total coincidence, tho

bibiche
08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
It's the end of the month. Guess what DS is making us for dinner.

Cooking lessons: minimal investment, high return. :)

sdvelochick
08-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Haha I was thinking the same thing for my husband. I made parsnip gnocchis once figuring it was something different and he moaned and moaned lol. Granted Ds isn't a huge fan either.

Husband hates gnocchis. :( The 29th would be a wretched day for him. Still, I serve it up a couple times a month just to watch him turn green with disgust. :_lol: