PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start with Shurley English?

trulycrabby
05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Hello! We are extremely new to homeschooling; DS9 attended an excellent public school last year, but did not thrive in the environment, so here we are! He was in third grade last year, but struggled with grammar. I have chosen Shurley English, but read that it is good to start at the first level if the child previously had trouble learning grammar. Is this true? I don't mind doing so, just want to choose the correct level so he and I are not confused.

I could purchase several levels, ideally 1-3, but new homeschoolers are warned not to overspend on curriculum that might not be needed or useful. I "might" have already overspent on curriculum, so I'm beginning to get cautious. :o

At this point, I"m thinking I should choose level 3, look at the book, then purchase additional levels if needed.

Any words of advice? Thanks in advance for any help!

trulycrabby
05-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Oops, I meant to put this thread in the curriculum section.

Also, I read more reviews and realized Shurley English has some religious content in it, and I really really really would not have purchased it knowing this. Unless the religious content is minuscule, this set will be returned.

trulycrabby
05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Update; the text and teacher's edition arrived yesterday; and all my reservations about Shurley English have disappeared. Only one chapter at the very end of the book had anything even remotely religious; and the text itself seems to be very, very good. I'm actually a little encouraged: DS9 finished third grade in public school, and although he struggled with grammar, it looks like I can use Level 3 as a review this summer and go directly into Level 4 in a month or two.