PDA

View Full Version : for military and/or genealogy geeks

murphs_mom
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
This weekend Ancestry is offering free access to their military records:

Family Foundations (http://www.ancestry.com/cs/us/family-military?o_xid=55581&o_lid=55581&o_sch=Email)

Might be a fun learning opportunity if the kids want to sit down and look up grandparents or greatgrands in the military records. A good way to remember those who served and tie it in to a history lesson. ;)

jess97
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
LOVE Ancestry!

dbmamaz
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
totally found my (maternal) grandfather, first try - but you have to sign up for a 14 day free trial to see the full record, and i just dont have time to pursue it right now. I've really been wanting to do a genealogy . . . i watched a bunch of genealogy shows and got inspired. Except, of course, they say its almost impossible for jews to trace family to the old country, and my maternal grandfather was born in Russia (in 1892), while my other 3 grandparents were the first generations born in the US, so the likelihood of finding records past that s slim.

Riceball_Mommy
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd really love to research more of my family too, but I'd have to cancel right after the trial. I can't do the monthly subscription right now.

murphs_mom
05-24-2013, 06:31 PM
I've done DH's and my trees over the last 9yr and it is addictive. Won't admit how many times I was up til 5am cause I got onto a trail for some long lost relation. For xmas 2yr ago, he gave me a 3mo subscription to the world records at Ancestry...it was a $60 special. I used the HELL out of that subscription. :cool: So I hear ya on the cost. One way to defray it is to check with your local library. Ours has free Ancestry basic access. While it's not great, it's better than nothing. Another resource, and it's somewhat free, is the LDS site www.familysearch.org. They've got quite a few records that Ancestry doesn't. Additionally, if you can visit one of their locations (map is at the site) you can look stuff up for free (including Ancestry's database). You only have to pay if you want a copy of the document(s). Rootsweb and genealogy.com are also good for connecting with live relations who know stuff about dead relations. For those lucky enough to have roots in MO or WV, those states have their marriage, birth, and death records available online in a searchable database for FREE. One can use the general info found with Ancestry's free access to delve deeper at one of the sites.

When dd is a bit older and we delve into history more, I plan on using her family trees to add some personal connection to the material. I'm hopeful that it will help her retain and grasp stuff more easily...history just ain't her bag right now. I know it took me a while to grasp that there was a world before I was born and that there'd be one long after I'm gone. She's just as myopic. :p

HobbitinaHobbitHole
05-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Familysearch.org has a lot of information and it is free. SteveMorse.org has a ton of information and forms that link up with pay and free sites.

dbmamaz, I know you said you don't have time (I won't either, starting this fall) but if you do feel like dabbling, JewishGen.org has a lot of information on Jewish genealology. It is hard to get enough information to be sure you have the right person back in Russia/Poland et al, and you have to know the town. There is some good info, though.

JinxieFox
05-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Familysearch.org even has images of WWII enlistment cards, so no need to pay to see them on Ancestry or sign up for their free trial.

Sometimes I take advantage of Ancestry.ca weekend freebies, but I rely mainly on Family Search for everything. Between them, the USGenWeb Project, and Google, I find almost everything for free. Found the story of one ancestor's trial during a time of war via Google Books. :)

I have spent the money to obtain Civil War pensions from the National Archives twice. Expensive, but well worth it!

Oddly enough, my autosomal DNA results are due today...

reefgazer1963
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
this is awesome! I found all my relatives, except for my husband.