PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take Rainbow Resource to ship? Alternatives?

mamaraby
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I know shipping time is dependent upon what you choose and how far you are from where they are, but I wondered if you could give me a general idea of how long it takes Rainbow Resource to ship and if it takes longer this time of year.

Also...is there a secular alternative where I can do a one-stop shop kind of thing?

Busygoddess
07-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I've never found a secular alternative to RR, with that large of a selection or prices that low. I order from RR every year. My order always ships within a week. There have been a few times when one or two items we back ordered & didn't ship with the rest, but even those came pretty quickly.

Sarbare0704
07-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I requested a catalog from them a couple weeks ago and I am (not so) patiently waiting for it to get here to see all about this rainbow resource! I cannot wait!

wild_destiny
07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Be warned, Sara, that R.R. catalog is a heavy thing in its own right. :)

mamaraby
07-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I knew it was a shot in the dark to find an alternative to RR, but I had to try. I've found a few things cheaper somewhere else, but by the time I add up all the shipping costs from ordering piecemeal it seems RR always comes out on top. I'm trying to time my curriculum order with funds available and our anticipated "start" date which may not all line up with all the curveballs this year has thrown at me. I think I have a decent idea now at least. Thanks again!

jennywilliams
07-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I order what I can on Amazon, but have also ordered from RR once.

mamaraby
07-11-2010, 01:28 PM
That is true, Amazon does have a number of them...I just wish more qualified for Super Saver Shipping.

Marmalade
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Be warned, Sara, that R.R. catalog is a heavy thing in its own right. :)
Mine showed up last night! I know you all have said how big it was but I was still surprise by the size. I'm currently on page 178 with only about 1200 pages left to go.

Busygoddess
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Whenever my catalog comes, my hubby makes some oke about me locking myself in a room for a week to read it, or how we should go pick up some frozen pizzas for dinner fo rhte next few days, or something else along those lines.
I love my RR catalog. I look through it several times a year, plus regularly visit their website. I'm constantly changing my wishlist on the site. My catalog has many dog-eared pages & things marked with multiple hi-liters.

Sarbare0704
07-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Dang it! I still haven't gotten mine :( I got a timberdoodles one yesterday and was kinda disappointed. it pretty much all seemed to be quite Christan. Everyday when Lucy goes to check the mail I hope she will tell me she needs help because it is too big! LOL

StartingOver
07-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I know shipping time is dependent upon what you choose and how far you are from where they are, but I wondered if you could give me a general idea of how long it takes Rainbow Resource to ship and if it takes longer this time of year.

Also...is there a secular alternative where I can do a one-stop shop kind of thing?

Everyone takes longer this time of year. Everyone is gearing up for August and September. I do the bulk of my shopping in February or March, just for that reason !

I always order two RR catalogs, so hubby can have his own.

mamaraby
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh my goodness are they ever Christian. We got a copy of the Timberdoodles catalog at our state association's homeschooling conference in May. About the only thing I saw in there that I wanted was their nifty book light.

Earthami
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to let you know I placed an order with them on Friday and they shipped it out on Tuesday, and everything I ordered was in stock.

So even with it being heavy buying time I had really quick turn around.

I looked around to see if I could find an alternative, my DH is really reluctant to spend money with them, but there was nothing else that compared to their prices.

Ami

Mamajake
07-21-2010, 03:07 PM
For a catalog company that is so explicitly Christian, I find Rainbow Resource manages to not be too "in your face" about it. I'm sure others have the experience of turning up on all the homeschool mailing lists and getting the ads for Christian vacation spots and the "how to be a good obedient wife" training seminars. ;) I find that as long as I skip the catalog section on Character, they manage to find a way to clearly mark the religious material.

As a friend once said, the only thing that would make reading the Rainbow Resource catalog more wonderful is if you could bring it in the tub. ;)

kcanders
07-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I love the rainbow Resource catalog. I found almost everything I wanted to get there and it qualified for free shipping. While looking through their faq, I was very surprised to find they are located in a small town about 20 miles from where I grew up. I may have to have my mom pick up orders for me or plan them for my trips back home.

I ordered from them a couple months ago and my order shipped out in just a couple days.