PDA

View Full Version : History

Shona8377
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Looking for a world history curriculum, and/or books, for an 11 year old boy. We have been studying American history up to this point reading Joy Hakim's books (which are wonderful and we will still read them). He reads to about a 7th-8th grade reading level. Anyone's experiences, suggestions.

~Shona

dbmamaz
05-19-2013, 10:42 PM
we used Usborne's world history encyclopedia and A Little History of the World. Little History is all European tho, and written like 50 years ago?

hockeymom
05-20-2013, 06:24 AM
We will be using History Odyssey (level 2, Ancients) this year, after taking 2 years to study American history. We haven't started yet, but I have it in hand and it looks great for us. More scripted than I'm accustomed to (I've always made up my own), but it's designed to ease students into being more independent, which is what DS is asking for. In their FAQ online, they make a point of not apologizing about being totally secular--a win for me! :)

Actually, I'm very impressed with the scope of the program and the fact that it covers some areas that are usually overlooked, like Africa and India. It does require quite a bit of writing, but can be adjusted to what you need.

Starkspack
05-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Hockeymom - thanks for bringing History Odyssey to my attention, it looks really great! I'm going to put it on my list....

Bec77
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
We are going to do TRISMS History's Masterminds. My daughter is 10. We haven't started it yet, so I can't really tell you anything about it!

Shona8377
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I really love all the suggestions, they're great. Going to bookmark all of them on my laptop.

Little History-- European, it's older but has received really great reviews
Usborne encyclopedia
History Odyssey-- ancient history, it looks like it includes stories, which is really fun
TRISMS History's Masterminds-- this looks very good! It looks intriguing and well-rounded, includes literature which I really am into.

We've used Sonlight's literature suggestions, historical fiction novels incorporated into our U.S. History curriculum, especially when he was younger, have found some real gems there.
I really like using an overview text, and some literature and geography into the studies, it works really well.

hockeymom
05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Just to clarify...HO Level 2 uses the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia in addition to literature. It is middle school level, can be used for high school level credits as well, as opposed to level 1 for elementary.

dbmamaz
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
oh, and the 'world history for us all' website

farrarwilliams
05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I still like Builders of the Old World... but it's only Western history. You have to skip the section on "the rest of the world" at the end.

SolsticeDreamer
05-23-2013, 07:22 PM
We have used The Human Odyssey Vol. 1 and 2 around 5th to 7th grade. My girls have either really liked the book to not complained about the book - which is all good. With one student we outlined and journaled as we worked our way through the book; I have also used the student guides published by K12.

reefgazer1963
05-25-2013, 06:00 AM
my daughter is almost 11 and going into 6th grade. we purchased a world history curriculum from the classical historian. we haven't used it yet, but I have looked through it extensively and it is going to be exciting! it's not your typical history curriculum. instead of reading and doing worksheets or projects, it asks the student to extensively research and read on a topic from a few different sources and then answer a question relating to the reading in essay format and with supporting statements from the readings. it looks fun for both of us. a caveat: the early lessons on prehistory have some religious content that was decidedly Christian. but I was able to easily substitute alternate readings for those objectionable readings and still maintain the focus of the program. the remainder of the lessons did not look objectionable.