PDA

View Full Version : Life of Fred?

callie
07-10-2010, 09:47 PM
After looking at every math curriculum out there ;) my son has decided that he probably would like to use the Life of Fred books. Has anyone used the Beginning Algebra book? I am thinking maybe we should do the Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology first. Any opinions? How long does it take to work through a book?

Now I am thinking (while typing this) that we should do the Pre-Algebra and if he finishes quickly move to the Beginning Algebra. I want him to be challenged, but don't want it to be too hard. Does that make sense?

I hate trying to decide on curriculum! :confused:

pandahoneybee
07-11-2010, 08:15 AM
We have used the LOF for Fractions, and my son loved it! We would go through about 4 chapters a week in the fraction book. He seemed to help my visual learner;) We haven't tried the other ones yet but we are still a little behind in Math because of the gaps in it from the PS. Fractions and multiplication were his weaknesses but now we should be going into the pre-algebra one.

noddyknitter
07-11-2010, 08:23 AM
We also have Life of Fred fractions. My son is 10 and just finished 4th grade. We had to back off a bit because he was missing some foundation skills. After spending this summer getting back up to speed I want to have him go back again to it. He just was not getting the concepts. That being said, he really LOVES the books and with the right foundation I think they are really great. My husband is a "Math" guy and as soon as he saw them he felt like they were the right path. We are also using the singapore math books this year.

pandahoneybee
07-11-2010, 08:29 AM
funny we use Singapore math as well;) i love that it gives alot of hands on activities which helps my older one alot!

wild_destiny
07-11-2010, 11:10 AM
We are also looking at the Life of Fred for Algebra, but I have also considered Singapore Math. I do have a question, though, to anyone who has used it: Will Singapore Math work for a teacher who is weak in math? Thanks.

Jilly
07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I do have a question, though, to anyone who has used it: Will Singapore Math work for a teacher who is weak in math?

There are teacher's guides that you could use to teach Singapore.

I have also found this website helpful. http://www.lionmath.com/lionmath/

This one looks good to, but it costs to use. http://www.heymath.com/main/products/productUS.jsp

wild_destiny
07-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Jill. :)

woodsymama
07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I was considering this for my "right brainer" than I heard about Elementary Algebra by Jacobs, has anyone used this or know anything about it?
Melinda
PS Any other VS or good Workbooks, games etc for right brainers please let me know - Thanks!

callie
07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Can Life of Fred be used alone or will I need to get something like Singapore to go with it? I have an Algebra 1 textbook that I had planned on using for him, but it is just a boring textbook. I actually enjoy math so if I need to do reinforcement I am okay with that, I just don't want to have to buy a bunch of different things. TIA

dbmamaz
07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
When I started last year, I planned on doing algebra 1 with my 8th grader, using LOF and ALEKs. ALEKs was good, but LOF proved too challenging for my son, esp when we got to word problems. He also got banned from the computer, so ALEKs was out.

We moved back to pre-algebra/biology LOF, which my son loved and could do independently. However, he'd already done pre-algebra (or half of it) at public school. We tried going back to LOF Alegebra, and my son ended up panicking.

I'm planning on switching to Singapore for him. I might use the LOF book afterwards, as a review, but I guess my son needs a more straight-forward system. Sometimes the leaps w LOF were too much for him, and sometimes the extraneous story material actually stressed him out.

I think it really depends on your kid. For kids who hate math, LOF can make it fun. For kids who are very good at math, LOF can be a breeze. For kids who will need a bit more linear teaching and review, its not enough.

wild_destiny
07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Thank you for a good review, Cara. You have given me something to really think about if we decide to go with LOF. The leaps that you speak of make me nervous. I definitely don't want to use a system that keeps sending me to left field without showing me why that is a good path.

Fiddler
07-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Melinda, what level of math are you looking for? RightStart Math is great for VSL, but is only elementary math and intermediate geometry so far. After that they suggest moving to Videotext Algebra. We are considering Thinkwell instead of Videotext.