PDA

View Full Version : Purchacing globe and microscope

jsaffold
05-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Hello!
I am in the market for buying a microscope and globe for my soon to be 6th grader. it is something we have decided to invest in beacause our daughter will be using them ALOT.
Any suggestion and recomendations are greatly appreciated!
THANKS, Julie

dbmamaz
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
This is a very small forum. Please do not spam us with the same post three times.

RubyRain
05-16-2013, 01:16 PM
We use a globe weekly because my husband travels around the world and we track where is going. We had a "regular" sized one for years that got toted around the house but finally fell apart so I invested in a floor globe. I love it. Here is the one I have-I think I pd about $150?:
Amazon.com: Replogle Globes Illuminated Austin Globe, Antique Ocean, 16-Inch Diameter: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Replogle-Globes-Illuminated-Antique-Diameter/dp/B000L7JZVC/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1368724383&sr=8-19&keywords=floor+globes)

I like that it's bigger and easier to see things and since it's in our living space, the kids refer to it often. Since it's on 4 legs it's sturdy and doesn't get knocked over. Even neighbor kids look places up on it and many are very curious about it ;)

The Brock Magiscope is a really nice all purpose microscope that can even go outside. It's around $170? at rainbowresource.com

jsaffold
05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
I did not mean to "SPAM" you, not everyone follows all threads and forums

jsaffold
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much for the great info, I appreiciate you taking the time to reply!
Julie

farrarwilliams
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Most of us who read the forum often though read with "new posts" so it does seem annoying, though I know that's not your intention. Mostly, I think having so many sub forums is really annoying. You know something's off when a lot of newbie posts begin, "I don't know if this the right section but..." But the site owners like it that way for some reason.

dragonfly
05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm sure it wasn't your intention to cause any problems, but posting the same message more than once on the same board/forum is usually considered impolite netiquette. As Farrar said, many go to "new posts," where they will see all three threads. To which one should someone reply?

Also, when you have the same post more than once, it will tend to split the responses. A single thread may start a lively conversation, and encourage more and more posts, and will probably be more helpful in answering your question than several threads. For example, I might want to respond to or expand upon more than one response, which is tricky and confusing if the responses are in different threads.

I wish I could be helpful in answering your original question, but I had the same problem last year! I ended up using the microscope included in the Keystone Biology Lab kit, because it was a good price as a package deal. I can't remember off-hand the brand, but I wouldn't say it's a phenomenal item, and worthy of any kind of specific recommendation. It did the job, nothing more, nothing less. For a globe, we just got a lighted one from Staples. It's pretty, and occasionally helpful in certain classes, but we don't really use it much.

jsaffold
05-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Thank you all for the great recomendations for globe and microscope hunting!

I appreciate you:o

Julie

Teri
05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
a globe is one of the first things we bought when we started homeschooling in first grade. We got the Leapfrog globe, but apparently it is no longer available. LOL When my kids were younger, the interactive features encouraged them to explore the globe. Now, they use it without those features. We paid $75 and my son got it for Christmas ;)
Amazon.com: LeapFrog® Explorer Smart Globe: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-40002-LeapFrog%C2%AE-Explorer-Smart/dp/B00005BYPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369751628&sr=8-2&keywords=leapfrog+globe)
For the microscope, we got the AmScope 40x-1000x and it has been more than adequate for RSO biology 2. It is very solid and durable feeling. The kids love it. AmScope 40x-1000x Advanced Home School Student Widefield Biological Compound Microscope with Sturdy Metal Framework and All Optical Glass Lenses: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNFSYG/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

kohlby
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
We bought a microscope through Home Science Tools. We have yet to use it though since we bought it for next year. I wanted to go with a company that would stand behind what we bought. If you go to their website, you'll find lots of info on all their different microscopes. As for a globe, I can't remember where we bought ours, but it's a pretty basic globes. Globes are harder to go wrong with.

ScienceGeek
05-30-2013, 02:08 AM
I bought a microscope from ACCU-SCOPE 3088 Student Compound Microscope (http://www.greatscopes.com/premium.htm) if you email them they will give you a homeschool discount. We have used our microscope ALOT. A mechanical stage is a must - so you can move the slide around in small increments. I have the LED one which is nice because it doesn't have to be plugged in. There's a nice unit study on Microscopes by Kym Wright which we did over the summer one year. It was a lot of fun, making slides of all kinds of stuff you find in the house and outside. Microscope Adventure (http://learn-and-do.com/microscope_adventure.htm)

We had a $20 globe from officemax that lasted about 10 years and we just bought a newer smaller version for $12 because the old one was falling off its axis.

ScienceGeek
05-30-2013, 02:11 AM
And I agree these forums are so hard to follow. I'v been on here a year and still don't have the hang of all the different forums. I just kind of randomly pick one to read when I get on and rarely find my way back to the ones I had read previously.

jdubbleb
06-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Apologies for the late response. We are happy with our AMSCOPE, paid about $75 on EBAY, brand new with free shipping. We rarely use it, as we have yet to enter the world of full-fledged biology, but my oldest son is really sciency. It's one of the top rated on Amazon, but much pricier there and everywhere else.

It's a great scope for the price, easy to focus, LED lighting, plug in, sturdy and heavy enough. So far we have viewed onion cells, cheek cells, flowers and plants to identify various parts. What we really need is a stereo microscope for him to view all of his 50 million and one insects and plants. The link is below :-)

40X-1000X Home School Student Compound Microscope + 25 Biology Slide Collection (http://store.amscope.com/m148c-ps25.html)