PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Hiccups

callie
07-09-2010, 04:25 PM
My DH has had the hiccups since last Thursday. He has tried all the remedies, but he just can't get rid of them. Yesterday he went to the doctor (not his regular dr) and all she did was give him a rx for his heartburn. I guess she was treating the after effects of the hiccups because his heartburn is worse, but she didn't actually do or say anything about the hiccups. I am hoping that one of y'all will have know what causes the hiccups to stick around for longer than a week and how to get rid of them. He will be going to see his regular dr on Thursday, but that is another week of hiccups. TIA

SherryZoned
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
OK this is what I have tried for hiccups and worked. Drink from the opposite side of the cup bent over. Eat a teaspoon of brown sugar and my favorite for heartburn is a pinch of baking soda in water or juice! Tastes like crap but works every single time for me!

paganmomblog
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I will drink a small glass of water while yanking my ear down. It has worked every time for me. However, I have never had the hiccups for more than 10 minutes.

hockeymom
07-09-2010, 06:41 PM
OK this is what I have tried for hiccups and worked. Drink from the opposite side of the cup bent over.

We do the same thing! I call it "drinking backward". For our son, we actually hang him upside down and have him drink--it looks ridiculous (or maybe torturous!) and he always ends up laughing, but it has never failed.

Then again, that's for normal hiccups. I'm sorry to hear about the extended bout--I wish I had better advice. Let us know!

ginnyjf
07-10-2010, 01:59 PM
It could be reflux, but he should probably get a chest x-ray and an upper endoscopy to rule out any other problems like gastritis that could be irritating the diaphragm. I'm guessing the usual remedies aren't working, but for hiccups, we swear by eating a spoonful of granulated sugar.

callie
07-10-2010, 03:14 PM
It could be reflux, but he should probably get a chest x-ray and an upper endoscopy to rule out any other problems like gastritis that could be irritating the diaphragm. I'm guessing the usual remedies aren't working, but for hiccups, we swear by eating a spoonful of granulated sugar.

We were hoping that the dr would have done the tests the other day. He went to the Urgent Treatment Center here in town because they have the equipment on site, but all she did was an EKG. The appt he has scheduled for Thursday is at the VA hospital and they love their tests, so he will probably have everything done then. It is just aggravating to go to a dr and for them to not really do anything.

He can get the hiccups to stop temporarily by eating peanut butter or a spoonful of sugar. But he said he can't walk around work with peanut butter and sugar all day. lol Personally I would like to see the looks on his customer's faces if he was doing "hits" of sugar on the sales floor. :D

Jadzia66
07-10-2010, 03:17 PM
We also do the teaspoon of sugar rememdy then follow it with a glass of water. My oldest has reflux and she does get the hiccups quite often so it does appear the 2 are connected somehow. I hope his regular doctor can help him!

wild_destiny
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Callie, did your husband ever get his hiccups problem solved? I hope it has had a good ending.

callie
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes, he did! Sorry, I probably should have followed up, right? It was weird, they slowly went away. Like one day it he only had them a couple of times, and then the next day they were less. Of course they ended the day before he saw his dr. That's how it always works. :)

wild_destiny
07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
That is spooky, even though it's just hiccups. Glad it resolved itself! (Thanks for the update!)