PDA

View Full Version : List of skills to master for 2nd graders

Serenyd
07-09-2010, 11:46 AM
We're planning to home-school until we move to a place with a better school system. I have "experience" with home-schooling because I was home-schooled until college. What I'm looking for is a list of skills my son should have mastered by the end of second grade. I want to make sure he doesn't fall behind other kids at his grade level. Otherwise, I'd be willing to take a more "un-schooling" approach to learning. Any tips on making a smooth re-integration to public schooling after home-schooling for 2-3 years?

hockeymom
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
You can look up your state's requirements on their education website. Every state and province is different, and although there is a new federal guide, it doesn't sound like all states are going to follow it. The federal standards are discussed here: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/625-New-Standards-for-Education.

Good luck!

Serenyd
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks Hockeymom! I need all the help I can get at this point!

hockeymom
07-09-2010, 05:57 PM
There is also a book that lots of people here swear by to make sure they are "covering the bases". I haven't used it yet because our library and bookstore don't carry it, but it's called "What your _____ grader Needs to Know" (http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Second-Grader-Needs/dp/038531843X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278712254&sr=8-1). It looks really thorough and hopefully someone here can tell you more about it.

Another good book is Home Learning Year by Year (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Learning-Year-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0609805851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278712415&sr=1-1#reader_0609805851).

There seem to be a number of us here who have second graders so hopefully we can all help each other out! We are in our first year of homeschooling (pulled DS out of ps in March) so I don't have any real advice yet. I *think* we are also leaning toward unschooling quite a bit, although math and literacy (especially spelling and handwriting) will be more formal. I am fortunate to have a naturally curious kiddo so the "other" stuff seems to fall into place on its own (so far!).

I hope this helps!

hockeymom
07-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I am starting to put together our grade 2 "plan" and this is essentially what I have down so far:

Math: all grade 2 and most of grade 3 provincial standards, primarily using MEP and Math Mammoth, plus IXL (http://www.ixl.com/) and BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/) for review

LA: grade 2 standards using superteacherworksheets.com (http://superteacherworksheets.com/spelling-level-b.html) for spelling and handwriting exercises, plus of course lots of reading and practical writing. This year I will introduce copywork and dictation, work on identifying various types of texts (ie: fiction/non-fiction, fairy tales, myths, biographies, etc), introduce more complex punctuation uses and review parts of a sentence. DS does not like to write so I will be playing around with making it less stressful for him.

Science: use RSO Earth and Space as spine. Also use Magic School Bus topics and activities, liberal use of the kitchen, and anything nature inspired (keeping nature journal, continuing with bird identification, etc). We never lack for interest in science topics or resources in our house.

Art: DS is very drawn to fiber arts, so we will emphasize activities that feed from this interest (rug hooking, sewing, learning to knit, felting, quilting). For practical drawing we will continue using inspiration from Ed Emberley and the Learn to Draw series. We will also continue to experiment with creating art from natural sources, ie: making natural dyes from flowers, etc.

World Studies (geography and history): Totally interest-led. I realized recently that most of our schooling efforts and natural day to day conversations and work center around what I'm referring to as World Studies (since geography and history overlap so much). I have tons of resources all over the house for reference, and this is is an easy unschooled topic for us.

Monthly Unit: I hope to introduce a monthly study unit (which may not last an entire month) on things like health, fire safety, holidays, etc. I will probably use Scholastic.com as a resource to come up with timely ideas and remind myself to order books from the library on time (that is, before the actual holiday!)

PE: my son is 7 and like most 7 year olds he can't stop moving, so this one is easy. Daily outdoor exercise (wii fit if it's too cold or rainy or miserable out) plus classes and camps as available: hockey, swimming, soccer, tennis, basketball, maybe indoor lacrosse.

Logic (not sure where this fits in otherwise): using Primarily Logic weekly (http://www.amazon.com/Primarily-Logic-Judy-Leimbach/dp/1593631227/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278713966&sr=8-1)

Typing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/. It's free and DS LOVES this program!

Music: weekly guitar lessons

Field trips as often as possible!

I'm sure it will change as we get settled into our new routine come fall, but this is what we have so far. Now that it's written down and not just muddling around in my brain I'm actually much less stressed about it. It might look like a lot, but so much of it is discussed and worked on naturally in our home that I don't think it will be overwhelming at all. As awesome as this summer has been for us, I am looking forward a little bit to settling into a routine come end of August.

I hope this helps give some ideas! :)

wild_destiny
07-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Hockeymom, You are amazing! That is a great list of things to work on, yet you have listed it in such a way that it actually seems like something I would want to do if I were a 2nd grader. My daughter is starting 2nd grade this year, and we may borrow some of your ideas. The unschooling philosophy is starting to seem more and more appealing and reasonable. Thanks for sharing! :)

hockeymom
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Wow Deanna, thanks! I would love to hear what everyone else is using and how people set up their days. I think we're all in for a fun year! :)

Busygoddess
07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
While I prefer Home Learning Year by Year, What Your 2nd Grader Should Know might be better if you're only homeschooling for the one year. Also, if you know what district you'll be moving to, you can visit their website to see what they cover in 2nd grade, that way you can make sure he's prepared for that district.

Jadzia66
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
My daughter just finished 2nd grade this year and this is what was in her curriculum, not all of it appeared on the our end of year test given by our school district (I went with that test - Terra Nova - because it was free) but a lot of it did...

MATH -- started the year with a sort of review of adding and subtracting learned in first grade but quickly moved onto 2 and 3 digit adding and subtracting. No carrying or borrowing in the beginning but by the end of the year he will need to know how to do both. I taught Courtney how to carry numbers over first as it was easier then when she had that mastered I moved onto borrowing.

They need to learn place values (the number which is in the 1 column, the number in the 10 column and so forth)

Money, how to count it and what each coin equals (a dime is 10 cents, etc...)

Telling time on both a digital and analog clock

Basic bar graphs and how to read them

Measuring with a ruler in both inches and centimeters

Counting by 2's and by 10's

Filling in the missing numbers in a sequence (ex - Blank 2,4,6,blank, blank, 12) She had to learn how to fill in the numbers before and after the one given, which meant figuring out if the sequence of numbers was being written down normally or by 2's

Basic word problems

Fact Families up to 18 (I hate hate hate fact families, to me it's a waste of time but they need to know them)

PHONICS -- Again, a quick review of what was taught last year. This was our first year homeschooling so I needed to know what exactly had been covered in 1st grade.

How to mark vowels... learning the 1 and 2 vowel rules help with this

Learning blends and special sounds

The 3 types of sentences

Proper puncuation

What words are capitalized and what ones aren't

The differences between the words sit, sat, set ... the same for may & can and also to, too, two and they, they're & their

Contractions

Prefixes, root words, suffixes

Fixing improper sentences... they'll write a sentence wrong on purpose, like leaving out the correct puncuation or not capitalizing a word that should be and your child has to rewrite the sentence in the right way.

Days of the week and months of the year

READING -- not only are they required to read well but reading comprehension comes into play in a big way. Courtney didn't like all of the reading books that came with our curriculum so I only made her read from those for her morning reading session. Her afternoon reading session was a book of her choice. If the book is from a curriculum there are usually questions at the end of the little story that they have to verbally answer. If it was from a book of her choice, I would read the chapter the night before and write up about 4or 5 questions based on the chapter. I found that if she answered questions verbally she did a poor job but if they were written down then she did a better job because she would be forced to look back through what she read to find an answer she didn't know. I was tough on this one because I knew the Terra Nova had a lot of reading comprehension on it.

SPELLING -- Until our curriculum arrived (we started homeschooling mid fall) I was able to easily find 2nd grade spelling lists online. A new list is given on Monday. I had her write the words down 3 times each the first day. Also our curriculum does a say-spell-say technique... they say the spelling word out loud, spell it then say it again. During the week I did different things with the words, like have her write them in a sentence, purposely mix the letters up and have her descramble them, etc... the spelling test was on Friday. Don't give the words in the order in which they appear on the list though. During the middle of the year vocabulary words were also added, only 3 of them per spelling list.

THE REST -- History was very basic and covered important presidents and patriotic holidays, Columbus, Johnny Appleseed, Plymouth Rock, etc... it was all American History with beginning map skills and the very end of the year. Health was mostly how to take care of your body, cleanliness, oral hygiene, etc... and science was basic animals facts usually corresponding with the time of year (hibernation come winter time, migration, that type of thing...) She wasn't graded on these 3 subjects for 2nd gade.

My toddler just woke up from her nap so I'll look over this later and see if I missed anything...

schwartzkari
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
There is also a book that lots of people here swear by to make sure they are "covering the bases". I haven't used it yet because our library and bookstore don't carry it, but it's called "What your _____ grader Needs to Know" (http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Second-Grader-Needs/dp/038531843X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278712254&sr=8-1). It looks really thorough and hopefully someone here can tell you more about it.

Another good book is Home Learning Year by Year (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Learning-Year-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0609805851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278712415&sr=1-1#reader_0609805851).

There seem to be a number of us here who have second graders so hopefully we can all help each other out! We are in our first year of homeschooling (pulled DS out of ps in March) so I don't have any real advice yet. I *think* we are also leaning toward unschooling quite a bit, although math and literacy (especially spelling and handwriting) will be more formal. I am fortunate to have a naturally curious kiddo so the "other" stuff seems to fall into place on its own (so far!).

I hope this helps!

I LOVE Home Learning Year by Year, I base our curriculum around her suggestions in the book and then tailor it to my daughter's needs.

hjdong
07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
We talked about the Coomon Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/ a couple of times here. If you're only planning on homeschooling for a year or two, these may also be a good place to look, especially if you may move between states.

hockeymom
07-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Cherie: That is a very thorough summary of your second grade year! Thanks for taking the time to share it. I love your spelling ideas--that's an area we need to work on. Spelling wasn't emphasized in his grade 1 class (proper spelling was actually discouraged) so there's a lot to review and unlearn there. Grade 2 math will be mostly review that we'll start the year with, before moving on to multiplication which DS is eager to get to. He needs a little review of basic addition and subtraction math facts and a review of money but the rest of the concepts he has already mastered. I hope you don't mind if I refer to your list as we begin our new school year--it is so helpful knowing what other people found useful and necessary. Thanks! :)

InstinctiveMom
07-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Art: DS is very drawn to fiber arts, so we will emphasize activities that feed from this interest (rug hooking, sewing, learning to knit, felting, quilting). For practical drawing we will continue using inspiration from Ed Emberley and the Learn to Draw series. We will also continue to experiment with creating art from natural sources, ie: making natural dyes from flowers, etc.

Monthly Unit: I hope to introduce a monthly study unit (which may not last an entire month) on things like health, fire safety, holidays, etc. I will probably use Scholastic.com as a resource to come up with timely ideas and remind myself to order books from the library on time (that is, before the actual holiday!)

Logic (not sure where this fits in otherwise): using Primarily Logic weekly (http://www.amazon.com/Primarily-Logic-Judy-Leimbach/dp/1593631227/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278713966&sr=8-1)

Typing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/. It's free and DS LOVES this program!

I hope this helps give some ideas! :)

Indeed!!
I really like the monthly unit topics. We may try to incorporate something like that in our plans. I also like the typing site - thanks for that link :)
I haven't looked into the Logic - I will though.
Great ideas!!!
~h

Jadzia66
07-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I'm so glad that I could help! Refer away :-)