PDA

View Full Version : hi

fulltimedreams
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
my wife and i have a 3 yr old boy and will someday hit the road full time in an rv. right now we're in the research stage-gathering up as much info as possible.

so if there is anyone in florida in brevard county that wants to hook up and share resources or is experienced in roadschooling/homeschooling, i'd love to hear from you.

thanks,

Ralph:cool:

StartingOver
07-09-2010, 07:42 AM
my wife and i have a 3 yr old boy and will someday hit the road full time in an rv. right now we're in the research stage-gathering up as much info as possible.

so if there is anyone in florida in brevard county that wants to hook up and share resources or is experienced in roadschooling/homeschooling, i'd love to hear from you.

thanks,

Ralph:cool:

Ralph, we roadschooled for just over 3 years. My husband worked on the North Slope of Alaska and would return to work every 8 weeks for just 2 weeks. We also did a few flea markets on the way, hitting garage sales for our merchandise. This was an easy way to make extra money. We really had a blast, and enjoyed traveling. I hope to do something similair soon, just not full time. Month long trips with the kids.

I know your son is young, but have a list of the major laws and mandatory ages of homeschooling in each state on hand.

One of the biggest issues I ran into was that basically you have to follow the laws of the state you are in. So my biggest suggestion to you would be to keep a portfolio of work that your children do, to prove to any "officials" along the way, that you are truly homeschooling. No one gave us a hard time, but I did have a couple of people want to see our " curriculum", and "proof" that we were using it. LOL

It really annoyed me at first that what ever state we were in, could question us. But there isn't any residency law for homeschooling. Of course we were mostly on the West Coast which is much more homeschool friendly for the most part. I think if I had been questioned in a really restrictive state I would have explained that we are "moving on" tomorrow, and never mentioned homeschooling.

Topsy
07-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the site, Ralph!! I can just feel the excitement in your post about the upcoming homeschooling adventure you are ready to embark on! Thanks for sharing it with us here at SHS. I hope we can be a source of info, support, and encouragement to you on your journey...

pandahoneybee
07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the group! I believe that there is another family that we have that are doing the roadschooling. MexRex (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/738-Homeschooling-three-kids-on-the-road-and-everywhere?highlight=road)checks in from time to time.
Just start checking into the laws in your state of residency, and you should be fine. We are lucky here in NC that it isn't as strict as some other states.

Welcome again;)

Shoe
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey Ralph, nice to see another dad interested in homeschooling. I don't have any experience with or knowledge of roadschooling, sorry, but I look forward to hearing about your travels and experiences.

hockeymom
07-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Here's a link to the blog of an unschooling/roadschooling family:

http://theorganicsister.com/who-we-are/

Hope it helps lead you wherever you want to go...

:)