PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Michael Clay Thompson

Bec77
05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
I am going to start homeschooling my daughter for 6th Grade and I have a few questions about Michael Clay Thompson:

She seems to be at the Voyage level (Level 3), which includes Caesar's Eng 2. Should she start with Caesar's Eng 1 or is it ok to jump right in and start with 2? Would it screw up the program if she was at Level 3 for everything but then using Caesar's Eng 1 (Level 2)?

I would consider her at or above grade level in Language Arts. But she has never done this program, so I don't know where to start, at least with Vocab. I also don't know if she would do better in Level 2 or 3 for poetry. I know the books all go together though, so it seems that I should stay in the same level for everything, correct?

dbmamaz
05-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Voyage is the only level I ever did completely. I think the words (or at least the roots) from CE1 were included in CE2 as review? Idk, my son didnt do so well with the vocab, I think - i probably should made him study/practice more. But i dont think skipping CE1 was the problem. Oh, and we did it in 9th grade!

there is a great continuity in staying all on the same level - there are tie-ins among all the books

Bec77
05-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow, 9th Grade! Maybe I should start with an easier level! It definitely looks like the program works best if all the books are in the same level. I'll have to go through the online samples again to see where she is really at.

dbmamaz
05-10-2013, 11:23 PM
iir, its aimed at 6th grade gifted kids. My teen is 2E and came out of public school 7th grade unable to write a paragraph. We used Paragraph Town and it made a big difference. We definitely used the hardest writing assignment in the writing books, because everything else was too easy for him (they give you 5 options, one of which usually is not even a writing assignment).

The Paragraph Town book was narrated by a cartoon duck . .but my 8th grader did not find it too childish. He actually was generally strong in english - reading at a 3rd grade level by the end of K, but was in special ed due to emotional problems grades 5-7, and has a lot of organization and abstract thinking deficits.

Its hard to say - a lot of ppl suggest starting with level 1 or 2 because they are more fun - level 3 gets dry after a while. and level 4 is straight up textbook. Have you read the sample pages on the website?

reefgazer1963
05-15-2013, 04:50 PM
hi:

my name is Karen, and we are new homeschoolers next year for my 10 year old daughter (who will be going into 6th grade and is currently a public school 5th grader). she is gifted and advanced verbally, can write "decently", but has zero experience with grammar or poems, so I didn't know where to start, level-wise. I actually called royal fireworks press and the woman on the other end of the line helped me decide on a level. she told me to use the time up until 6th grade to catch up on grammar and basic poems, and then pop into level 2 with in 6th grade. so we bought the level 1 grammar and poem books and have worked on that since January. it's been a good strategy, because now I feel comfortable having her at level 2 for 6th grade.

so, my advice would be to call RFP and talk to them; they are very helpful. Also, my daughter is academically advanced, but I can see CEI being used for most 7th-9th graders with good results. it is a pretty advanced curriculum, and I do think calling level 2 (even for gifted kids) a 4th grade level is really unrealistic.

iir, its aimed at 6th grade gifted kids. My teen is 2E and came out of public school 7th grade unable to write a paragraph. We used Paragraph Town and it made a big difference. We definitely used the hardest writing assignment in the writing books, because everything else was too easy for him (they give you 5 options, one of which usually is not even a writing assignment).

The Paragraph Town book was narrated by a cartoon duck . .but my 8th grader did not find it too childish. He actually was generally strong in english - reading at a 3rd grade level by the end of K, but was in special ed due to emotional problems grades 5-7, and has a lot of organization and abstract thinking deficits.

Its hard to say - a lot of ppl suggest starting with level 1 or 2 because they are more fun - level 3 gets dry after a while. and level 4 is straight up textbook. Have you read the sample pages on the website?

Bec77
05-15-2013, 09:45 PM
I actually called and spoke to a very helpful man. He told me I should start my daughter in level 3 or 4 for 6th Grade. She has been doing grammar for years, she is a good writer, and she is an excellent speller. I told him that she has a bit of trouble with reading comprehension, but she is what I would consider advanced. He said if I really wanted to punish her (jokingly) I could start her in level 4, but level 3 would be a more comfortable year for her. He said she won't have it easy and level 3 is still challenging. I asked him if level 4 was considered high school and he said yes. So I said I better start with level 3 then. If it's too hard, I can always buy level 2 and then use level 3 the following year. But I would hate to purchase a level that's too easy and then have to buy the next level up.

kohlby
05-17-2013, 10:51 PM
My oldest will be doing level 3 next year, so I'm not sure how it compares to level 2 yet. I do know that level 1 is MUCH lower than level 2. So I would not recommend doing level 1 for many 6th graders. However, level 2 could work for some - I'm more likely to agree with level 3 based on your child's background though. I'd do all in level 3 due to how the books tie together. My oldest did level 2 in 4th grade, and though he is advanced, his main talents are actually in math/science.

dbmamaz
05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
its funny, i kept putting off doing level 1 w my youngest, because he was so behind, but i am now wondering if he's too advanced for it at this point? more to the point, i'm just not sure he'd like it

kohlby
05-21-2013, 09:14 AM
i kept putting off doing level 1 w my youngest, because he was so behind, but i am now wondering if he's too advanced for it at this point?
Most 9 year olds would not be too old as far as liking it. A 9 year old who has had little grammar may find it the perfect level. Level 1 is very gentle. That doesn't mean it's too easy though. My son does ALL of the writing assignments in every level and I added in extra writing as well since he finished up level 1 with a lot of the school year left. We were able to pace Level 2 better since it was heavier on the writing. I've heard level 3 step it up even more, so I'm hoping I don't have to add any extra that time. For us, level 1 was the first time we had done anything formal for LA. Even with other subjects, only math was formal. So I was a bit nervous when my oldest started level 1 in 3rd grade due to the switch from very informal/relaxed to structured. But it ended up working out great! I'm glad I started level 1 with him - if we had started in level 2, it would have been too much shock going from a more unschooling approach to formal. But he was also a very wiggly 3rd grade boy at that point! Maturity, not just intellect, is important when choosing a level.

dbmamaz
05-21-2013, 09:42 AM
my 9 yo was late to talk, late to read, late to write. We're working through Logic of English, which does introduce some grammar, and we did madlibs before that. I am tempted . . . for next year, whenever we finish LoE.