PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Introducing myself :-)

TarotMama
07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, I'm Trenda. I began homeschooling my sensitive, empathic son this past February, because he was staying sick all of the time. The school environment was very stressful for him, and he was nervous and tense even when he was at home. He is much more relaxed and content now that we are homeschooling. We are following the public school calendar, though, since his older sister is in public school. She's a social butterfly and thrives in the public school environment. My son will be in third grade this fall. I'm so happy to have found this site. The only homeschool group in our area is Christian and they require a statement of faith to join. That's just not for us.

Thank you for creating such a wonderful place for secular homeschoolers!

Trenda
Northeast Mississippi

pandahoneybee
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the group! I think that you will find us a very helpful group;0) I understand about the school system and kids getting sick from going, my oldest (who was in 5th grade) was sick alot that last year. It has been a great learning experience for all in our family and I won't change a thing. Make sure to check out our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) for some great links;)

ginnyjf
07-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Welcome Trenda! I'm preparing to homeschool my 8-year-old son for many of the same reasons you mentioned. He missed 18 days of school last year because of chronic stomachaches and digestive issues. We made several visits to his pediatrician to rule out any physical causes, tried changing his diet, etc. but it turned out that every symptom was stress-related. Since he's been out of school, the stomach issues have disappeared. We're both calmer and happier. You'll find this group very welcoming and knowledgeable!

Marmalade
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome Trenda!

StartingOver
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Welcome Trenda !

Topsy
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM
So glad to have you join us!! I am so happy for you and your son as you embark on the much less stressful journey into homeschooling. Big kudos to you for being tuned into his needs and figuring out what was best for him. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself! We have a Mississippi group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=52) too, if you would like to join!

rosesandcreme
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome! I love the way you describe your son - much the same way I describe my older one. :)

Baberry
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome Trenda. Your son sounds like an amazing little boy.

Shoe
07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi, I'm Trenda. I began homeschooling my sensitive, empathic son this past February, because he was staying sick all of the time. The school environment was very stressful for him, and he was nervous and tense even when he was at home. He is much more relaxed and content now that we are homeschooling. We are following the public school calendar, though, since his older sister is in public school. She's a social butterfly and thrives in the public school environment. My son will be in third grade this fall. I'm so happy to have found this site. The only homeschool group in our area is Christian and they require a statement of faith to join. That's just not for us.

Thank you for creating such a wonderful place for secular homeschoolers!

Trenda
Northeast Mississippi

We homeschooled our son last year, while our daughter was still in public school. This coming year, we plan to homeschool both of them, as my daughter was also suffering from a lot of stress, anxiety and bullying last year. Welcome to the site and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Jennifer R. James
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Hello, Trenda. I am in NW Mississippi. We have the same issue with all local homeschool groups requiring a statement of faith. We are using a religious cirriculum(with editing) now while I decide what to do for the next school year. I would love to be in touch! MS is a heck of a place to be a lone progressive.