PDA

View Full Version : Math - again

QueenBee
05-07-2013, 07:58 AM
I know the 'which math' question has been asked, but I'm specifically wondering about Teaching Textbooks versus Thinkwell for algebra (wrote about on my blog today (http://lostpersonshomeschool.blogspot.com/2013/05/math-advice-needed.html)). Anyone use either? Or both?? I like the look of Thinkwell, have tried the sample lesson, etc., but would still like to "hear" some firsthand reports...

Thanks! =D

rueyn
05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
I think sometimes the best way to figure out the answer to this question is to try a sampling with your child, and see what he/she works best with :)

WindSong
05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
My ds has used Thinkwell for the past three years. He is just finishing up Math 8 and will start Thinkwell Algebra 1 in the fall. He loves it so much that he tells me he never wants to switch to anything else.

Here's my take. If my ds uses an online curriculum, he needs to see the teacher talking to him. He doesn't want to hear a voice in the background like with TT. He also enjoys Professor Burger's sense of humor. He really does a great job of engaging the student. He uses real world examples in every lesson. Each lesson includes 9 practice problems. If my ds needs more practice, he can print out a worksheet with more practice problems. If you buy Thinkwell through the co-op, it is half the cost of TT. They offer it regularly at 50% off.

Something else to consider is how strong your dd is in math. My ds used TT6 in fifth grade and breezed through it with no challenge whatsoever. When he started Thinkwell 6 it wasn't as easy for him. It took him awhile to adjust to a program that was challenging. He was no longer getting A's all the time. I don't have any experience with the upper levels of TT. Maybe they are more challenging than the lower grades. I would have your dd take the placement test for both TT and Thinkwell. Then watch the samples from that course. It may be a very clear choice for her.

My ds never took pre-algebra either. He used Thinkwell Math 6, 7, and 8. The pre-algebra is worked into these three years so by the time they finish Math 8, they have also completed pre-algebra and are ready for Algebra 1. So it saves them a year that they can use in high school for Calculus. The pre-algebra that Thinkwell offers is for students who need a review of pre-algebra. It sounds like OM handled pre-algebra the same way, by working it into the levels of middle school math.

Teri
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
My kids used Teaching Textbooks for about 1-2 years each. Then they burned out on it. We did have to jump ahead a grade for them to be at the right level. They enjoyed it while for a while, then they were just over it.
None of mine needed to see the person talking. The voice showing what to do was sufficient for them (they also like to do Khan Academy).
All of mine switched over to Life of Fred after TT. Joseph went from midway through 5th grade to LOF Fractions and hasn't stopped since.

ksb427
05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
We like Thinkwell for pretty much the same reasons as WindSong. We chose it because I wanted him stay with the same curriculum until graduation. Overall he's been pretty happy with it and doing well. He's going to start his third year (Algebra) 2013-2014.

QueenBee
05-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks so much, guys!! These replies are really helping. I'm leaning towards Thinkwell. Showed it to my DD who thought it was "cool." ;) She is visual, so I think the videos will be good. We used TT for lower grades (3-6) and she did not like it, but I don't know that she "likes" any math program we've done - MUS, MM, Calvert, OM, the list goes on.... I want to stick with something. OM ends after grade 8 so I feel like it's a good time to make the switch. I'm going to give her the placement tests this weekend... she'll love that. :) At least they are short!

Thanks again!!

Elphie
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I am actually trying to decide between these two math programs as well (for Algebra 2). I'll probably have DS look at both and decide which one he likes best. He wants to stay with LoF for Algebra 2 but I just don't think it is working for him any more...he needs more explanation.

QueenBee
05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I am actually trying to decide between these two math programs as well (for Algebra 2). I'll probably have DS look at both and decide which one he likes best. He wants to stay with LoF for Algebra 2 but I just don't think it is working for him any more...he needs more explanation.

That's what I'm running into with LOF - I think it's great, but I know my DD will need more explanation and practice.

Elphie
05-09-2013, 03:30 PM
LoF is great for me, but I find myself having to explain things more and more to DS as we go along. That isn't how LoF is supposed to work...he just isn't motivated enough to try and figure it out. I think it's great for someone who has that motivation though...my middle son will probably be fine with it.

RubyRain
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
My son has been using Teaching Textbooks since grade 4 and it works well for him. He's a very auditory learner though which is why it was so important for him to "hear" the lectures. He's doing Pre-algebra this year and I'm sure we will stick with it thru high school. We do use Life of Fred as a supplement too.

I think whatever you use it's important to use it from grade 7 or 8 thru the end so that you know all the subjects are covered consistently. If you switch back and forth, some subjects may not get covered or in different order so learning can be harder than needed.

dragonfly
05-09-2013, 05:17 PM
One thing I especially like about Thinkwell is that the video lessons were recorded in real time, so any errors the professor makes stay in, and become a bit of an object lesson in how they're great because you'll do it right the next time. Also, it teaches the value of checking your answer. I think it's cool to see that even someone with a doctorate in math can make mistakes.

QueenBee
05-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I think whatever you use it's important to use it from grade 7 or 8 thru the end so that you know all the subjects are covered consistently. If you switch back and forth, some subjects may not get covered or in different order so learning can be harder than needed.

Yes, good point. That's why I'm trying to figure it out now (going into 8th) b/c I don't want to keep switching every year or two.... sigh. :)