PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from CO!

CyndiLJ
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
We are new to homeschooling this year, jumping in with both feet with 5 kids...our situation is unique in that we have 5 children, all adopted, none working fully at grade level as some are above and some are below, 2 of them are brand new English Language Learners, one is a 3 year ELLer and has serious auditory processing issues, 1 is reading at 10th grade level... and our youngest skipped a year of math.

We also are odd in that we ARE Christian, of the far more liberal persuasion, and I can not stand 99% of the Christian curriculum and totally don't fit in the typical homeschooling circles because we are deemed "not Christian enough" :-) So, while God is definitely part of our life, we are totally secular in our approach to homeschooling and we have yet to connect well with homeschoolers here who are like us...I know there have to be some out there who think evolution is valuable to teach and don't think Scripture passages on every page make a curriculum "great"!

So basically, we are weird in every way! We are definitely eclectic using workbooks, notebooking, unit studies, you name it. Looking forward to making friends here!

Cindy

camaro
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey, Cindy, welcome to this wonderful site! Judging by your description you ought to fit right in here. :)

MamaB2C
07-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Hiya! I grew up in CO, my brother and niece just moved back there, and I am also an adoptive mom. See, stuff in common already :)

Topsy
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the site...I feel a kindred spirit with you (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/278-Far-From-Average) already, Cindy!! ;) Be sure and join the CO group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=64), if you haven't already. You are in for the adventure of a lifetime, and I'm thrilled that we at SHS are able to be part of your support team. ((go team!!!)) I hope you will hang out with us here often and feel free to ask any questions that may come up along the way. Kudos for jumping in to the homeschooling pool!!

Melyssa
07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Welcome Cindy! I lived in CO for 12 years. We just moved away last fall.

Cyndi
07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
The two Cindys/Cyndis from the conservative wilds of the Western Slope of Colorado have found each other!!!!! Thanks to this site, we have emailed, talked by phone, and met each other in person this evening, and I am one happy camper!

Cindy is a wonderful wealth of information and a really great person who "speaks my language." I'm so looking forward to getting to know her better and maybe getting our kids together at some point.

Just thought I'd let the administrators of this site know that a small secular homeschool miracle has happened.

Melyssa
07-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Wow Cindy and Cyndi, that is very AWESOME! I am so happy to hear it! As this site grows hopefully we'll hear more success stories like yours!

pandahoneybee
07-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Welcome Cindy! I think that you will find that having a great support system like this forum will help you out;) I know that it has helped me and we are on our 3+ year already! Can't wait to get to know you better!

SherryZoned
07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Welcome!~ I think we are all odd. I am not christian at all but hey that is ok. We all want the same thing, to give our children a good education! Welcome to the group and let me tell you I have been thinking about moving to Colorado to get out of Texas!

cottagechick
07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
WElcome from another Cindy. :) I'm new here too....I'm a 'post-christian', so I don't really fit anywhere either. 'Tis the lot of homeschoolers methinks, no matter where you find yourself. Good for you for taking the plunge! I had 6 at home for a few years. It was quite a ride!

Cyndi
07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
SherryZ ~ if you want some diversity and an opportunity to mingle with folks who are a little more open about life in general, consider the eastern side of the Rockies (the Front Range). The Western Slope is a very tough place to raise kids if you're not very conservative (tea baggers) and fundamentalist Christian. Not impossible, but certainly not as fulfulling.

SherryZoned
07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Good to know! Thanks for that tip.. I would prefer a more open diverse place to raise the children.

Shoe
07-16-2010, 12:07 PM
We are new to homeschooling this year, jumping in with both feet with 5 kids...our situation is unique in that we have 5 children, all adopted, none working fully at grade level as some are above and some are below, 2 of them are brand new English Language Learners, one is a 3 year ELLer and has serious auditory processing issues, 1 is reading at 10th grade level... and our youngest skipped a year of math. Wow, sounds like you've got your hands full and are in for a really busy ride-but I'm sure it will be rewarding. Welcome to the site and hopefully you'll find it a great place for support and information.

We also are odd in that we ARE Christian, of the far more liberal persuasion, and I can not stand 99% of the Christian curriculum and totally don't fit in the typical homeschooling circles because we are deemed "not Christian enough" :-) So, while God is definitely part of our life, we are totally secular in our approach to homeschooling and we have yet to connect well with homeschoolers here who are like us...I know there have to be some out there who think evolution is valuable to teach and don't think Scripture passages on every page make a curriculum "great"!

So basically, we are weird in every way! We are definitely eclectic using workbooks, notebooking, unit studies, you name it. Looking forward to making friends here!

Cindy I don't find it that odd-maybe because I'm also a Christian, but homeschooling for secular reasons, see the importance of teaching evolution and am fairly eclectic. I look forward to getting to know you better. Besides, weird is often more interesting than "normal" in my experience.

StartingOver
07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Welcome!~ I think we are all odd. I

Isn't that why we all fit so well, we are odd but tolerant of other oddballs. hehe

wild_destiny
07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Well said, Jana, "we are odd but tolerant of other oddballs." Well said!