PDA

View Full Version : Update on our Fall 2013 Semester at Hogwarts

Teri
04-28-2013, 12:15 AM
I thought I would update on our upcoming Fall co-op classes, since I had mentioned we are planning on a Semester at Hogwarts.
Here are the classes we have planned:

All Ages:
Herpetology
Herpetology is a branch of zoology studying reptiles and amphibians. Herpetology is from Greek words herpeton – “Creeping animal” and logia – “knowledge” .
Reptiles and amphibians often appear throughout history and mythology with lots of myths and legends attached to them. We will look into the truth about these misunderstood creatures and explore the wonderful and exciting mythologies that have been created around them.

Frog Choir
"Ah, music! A magic beyond all we do here!" --Albus Dumbledore
We are a singing group made up of Hogwarts students. We will perform on Halloween and at the Yule Ball at the end of the semester. The Hogwarts orchestra will not be offered this term, so we welcome any instrumentalists to the group. (I will have a keyboard available as well.)

Ballroom Dancing
Ballroom dance is a great way to develop social skills. Confidence, poise, and good manners learned early in life will stay with us forever and will distinguish Hogwarts student in any social, business or academic situation. This class will give the students a wonderful way to socially interact with one another while learning social dancing, table manners and other aspects of social etiquette in fun way.

Quidditch
Quidditch is the sport played by wizards all around the world. In muggle terms, it's part soccer, basketball, baseball, and dodgeball. Matches are played between 2 teams of 7 players riding broomsticks, using 4 balls and 6 elevated hoop-shaped goals. The class will learn how to play Quidditch, and everyone will train for the different player positions. Time permitting, scrimmages will be played at the end of each practice/training session. (For the sake of safety, broomsticks will take the form of pool noodles or something equally soft.)

First Years (4-6 years old)
Magical Movement
Come discover the magic of movement and music. We will dance and move like dragons, bugs, butterflies, leaves, witches and wizards. We will play, move and dance to a variety of “magical” music including; classical, jazz, big band, show tunes, music from other cultures and even some popular muggle music. We will also create magical movement crafts to dance and make music with.

Potions
A little bit of science and a wee bit of magic! Come join the potions class where we will mix and blend different substances to make a variety of different potions. We will experiment with various textures, discover new colors, and concoct new potions. Plan to make potions like Gak, slime, cloud dough and more!

Care of Magical Creatures 1
In care of magical creatures we will be learning about different types of creatures real and imaginary.
There will be crafts, songs and stories. This is mainly focused for those aged 4-7. A snack is provided with the 2nd portion of the class. Please note you can sign up for just one or both of the classes.

Care of Magical Creatures 2
In care of magical creatures we will be learning about different types of creatures real and imaginary.

Second Year (age 6-9 PreReaders)
Muggle Studies: Prehistoric Texas
Dinosaurs and Ancient Peoples of a Changing World: We will explore Prairies and Marshlands; the Plateaus and Canyonlands; the South Texas Plains; and the Mountains and Basins regions.

Hogwarts Crafts
We will be doing a different hands on magical craft activity each week, focusing on our own creative magic! Projects will include hand crafted activities for charms, potions, protective spells, runes, transfiguration, wand making, and more! Hands on crafty fun for tapping into your own creative magic!

Owlery
Proclamation number 42273 states that all students are required to learn about, and have a basic understanding of owls before they will be allowed to personally keep their own owl on Hogwarts grounds. There is much more to the owls than delivering letters, and in this class, we will explore the habits of owls in the wild, including what they eat, how they obtain their food, their habitats, and several different types of owls. Students will also have the opportunity to explore owl vomit in class, and may bring home its contents if they desire (this consists of small bones).

Weird Wizardly Dilemmas & Their Solutions
In this class suggested for the age 6-8 age group, we will look at not only weird problems, but also weird solutions. Almost any problem can be solved with math, science and creativity. Creativity is important in the engineering design process: Ask, Imagine, Plan, Create, Improve, Repeat. Students will work to perfect the formula of different wizardly potions, change the color of carnations and build towers out of marshmallows and spaghetti to try to hold water balloons. Students will examine some weird Muggle machines like mechanical pencils, egg beaters and rolling pins. Using their knowledge of these Muggle machines, students will predict, test and observe different sail designs, then create and improve their own windmill to solve a problem to save small creatures beloved of the Muggles.

Teri
04-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Second Years (age 8-10 or Readers)
Portraiture for Second Years
Wandering the halls of Hogwarts, you are greeted by hundreds of animated Portraits: magical memorials of the well-known and the unknown. In Portraiture, we will examine the unique styles of eight Great Wizards of the Art World, from Da Vinci to Warhol, and conjure up amazing masterpieces of our own. The projects in this session will be easier, with fewer instructions and less fine-motor detail; the students will explore art media and learn basic art techniques.

Herbology
In this class, we will start out learning the structure of plants and basic botany. Later, we will learn how to identify various herbs that grow in our area, including edible and poison herbs. We will also explore the basics of using plants for general health and healing.

Muggle Studies: Texas Frontier
We will explore Texas History during the exciting frontier era,
covering topics such as Native Texans, The Republic of Texas, Boom Town,
Texas Forts, larger than life Texans, and the Battle of the Alamo. Art,
literature and hands on activities will be incorporated.

Third Year (9-11)
Portraiture for Third Years
Wandering the halls of Hogwarts, you are greeted by hundreds of animated Portraits: magical memorials of the well-known and the unknown. In Portraiture, we will examine the unique styles of eight Great Wizards of the Art World, from Da Vinci to Warhol, and conjure up amazing masterpieces of our own. The projects in this session will be similar to those in Portraiture for Second Years; the students will explore art media and learn basic art techniques.

Herbology
Students will learn to identify, care for, and utilize plants. They will learn about their 'magical' properties and how they are used in healing, medicine, and cooking. Class will also learn about poisonous plants and carnivorous plants. Students will have hands-on opportunities to plant seeds and transfer seedlings.

Weasley’s Knitting class
Knitting and More!
Learn to dye, knit, purl, and play. Patience and hand eye coordination will be necessary to complete our class projects.

Castles: Heraldry
While Alnwick Castle is home to the main Hogwarts location, there are many other castles in the world (mostly in Europe). In this class, we will learn about the different castles and where they are, while gaining a basic understanding of castles in general. We will also explore heraldry and the importance of having a family "badge" during medieval times.

Fourth Year (10-14+)
Charms: Latin
Latin is the language of Wizards. The fact remains that Latin and the classics have a very, very long history. That words hold magic is an ancient idea, one demonstrated in the importance given to words in formulaic prayers at ancient Roman ceremonies, in the power held in knowing the true name of a city, or in the use of defixiones or curse tablets. Words still hold a special kind of magic and power. We will use the world of Harry Potter as a springboard to learn Latin and more about the Classical world, where the power of words and language and books spread like fire. Incendio!

Portraiture for Fourth Years
Wandering the halls of Hogwarts, you are greeted by hundreds of animated Portraits: magical memorials of the well-known and the unknown. In Portraiture, we will examine the unique styles of eight Great Wizards of the Art World, from Da Vinci to Warhol, and conjure up amazing masterpieces of our own. The projects in this session will focus on composition and refining art technique.

LUMOS
"The Wand-Lighting Charm is simple, but requires concentration. Take care not to accidentally set your wand alight as damage of this kind can be permanent. If in any doubt about your abilities you would do better to buy yourself a magic lantern."
—Miranda Goshawk (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Miranda_Goshawk)

The Wand-Lighting Charm (Lumos) is acharm (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Charm), alight-creation spell (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Light-creation_spells), used to illuminate the tip of the caster's wand; this light is fairly warm.

In Lumos, we will be exploring the eTextiles and the use of circuits to light up our creations. We will start with an introduction to circuits and then the young wizards will plan a project to pursue for the remainder of the semester. Some experience with hand sewing or knowledge of circuits would be helpful, but it is not required.

Honeydukes Sweet Shoppe
In this class, students will become apprentices in the magical art of candy making. We will be making deliciously dangerous confectionary delights, as well as becoming experts on the magical scientific principles behind perfect and precise execution of these sublimely sweet sugary spells!

Potions: Chemistry

Apothecary
In this class we will learn about the traditional healing properties, kitchen uses, and
basic cultivation of some wonderful plants. I will be focusing on plants that many
people are already familiar with and may mistakenly consider to be a nuisance.
One such example is dandelion which has numerous wonderful uses: greens in
salad, roasted and ground root as a coffee substitute, and the flowers in baked
goods, tea and wine or mead (we won’t be making the last two).
Each participant will create an Herb Keepers Journal, a Plant Collectors press, and a
Personal Herb Garden over the course of the semester.

Teri
04-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Transfiguration

This class will explore transformation in the fullest sense. This class will give each student the opportunity to use multimedia research, writing, sketching, acting, costume design, make-up/special effects design, and a lot of creative magic to become a historical figure. At the end of this course, the student will have mastered the art of human transformation and officially become a metamorphagus.

"Transfiguration (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Transfiguration) is some of the most complex and dangerousmagic (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Magic) you will learn atHogwarts (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hogwarts_School_of_Witchcraft_and_Wizardry). Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned." ~Professor McGonagall

Care of Magical Creatures: Student led Project
In Care of Magical Creatures (for kids) class, we will learn about how to take care of mythological creatures, with fun crafts and cool legends and folklore. We will also do some projects and games, but (duh), most importantly have a great time! Topics ranging from dragons and unicorns, to basilisks, griffins, manticores, and sea serpents.
(student taught)

In addition to the classes, there will be a sorting hat at the beginning of the semester and Hogwarts themed field trips (like visiting the Art Museum to see an exhibit of Ancient Muggle Art). We are also trying to go see a local university quidditch team. There will be special Halloween and Holiday Hogwarts events planned. :D

farrarwilliams
04-28-2013, 12:33 AM
This is so cool. I wonder if my co-op would enjoy this... The kids plan our topics so I feel like they could be persuaded...

Teri
04-28-2013, 12:49 AM
I have to warn you. I came up with this theme last summer and the co-op coordinator and I bounced ideas around for months. When we finally approached the rest of co-op with it, it was a VERY divisive theme. We are secular/inclusive co-op, so I wasn't expecting that reaction. We have always offered 2 or 3 themes and had a vote and we were going to do it this time also.
We had parents that didn't want to expose their kids to such dark things at a young age or their kids didn't know Harry Potter and wouldn't get it and they were VERY vocal about it. Ultimately, we took every idea that they threw out there to replace Hogwarts and had the vote. There were like six choices (instead of the 2 or 3) and Hogwarts got just over 50%, which meant we didn't have to have a run-off. The half that voted for it has been incredibly excited all along about it. Even the most vocal nay-sayers are now excited, but it was very draining and I was completely unprepared for that kind of reaction.
My feeling is that the "theme" is to get people excited, kids and adults. Hogwarts will do that. As you can see, there are still "regular" classes, they are just wrapped around Hogwarts. We had a lot of people that could not understand how the classes would be offered...like everything would be about Harry Potter (the theme is Hogwarts, which is a school, not HP), they suggested things like Lord of the Rings (which is not a school and not the same thing!), or famous children's literature as an alternative theme.
I think they get it now though. :p But, go in prepared if you suggest it.

alegre
04-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Wow, this is amazing. A huge amount of work must have gone into planning all those different course options! Have fun!!

Batgirl
04-28-2013, 02:25 AM
This is amazing!

Jeni
04-28-2013, 03:24 AM
So cool. I wish our co-op had something awesome like that.

popsicle1010
04-28-2013, 04:00 AM
Nice work!!!

Starkspack
04-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Very impressive and creative! Thanks for sharing!

Teri
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Truthfully, I would say that a huge amount of planning goes into ALL of our semesters. As soon as a semester ends, we are deciding the "theme" for two semesters out. As soon as a semester starts, we are planning the classes and field trips for the next semester. It gives us a lot of time to brainstorm. By planning that far out, we do have to make changes along the way, right up until the semester starts (teachers move, kids go back to school, families decide to drop out of co-op). Since we are so far in the planning stages though, it is usually not too hard to find someone to step in with and alternative or to teach the class that was scheduled.
We have a really imaginative bunch of parents!

WindSong
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
This sounds amazing, Teri! The classes you chose are so creative. I can see the parents and kids really getting into this. I would love to do something like this with our co-op. Does one parent teach each class or several? How often do you meet?

Nappers
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
This is amazing and sounds like so much fun!

farrarwilliams
04-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I have to warn you. I came up with this theme last summer and the co-op coordinator and I bounced ideas around for months. When we finally approached the rest of co-op with it, it was a VERY divisive theme. We are secular/inclusive co-op, so I wasn't expecting that reaction. We have always offered 2 or 3 themes and had a vote and we were going to do it this time also.
We had parents that didn't want to expose their kids to such dark things at a young age or their kids didn't know Harry Potter and wouldn't get it and they were VERY vocal about it. Ultimately, we took every idea that they threw out there to replace Hogwarts and had the vote. There were like six choices (instead of the 2 or 3) and Hogwarts got just over 50%, which meant we didn't have to have a run-off. The half that voted for it has been incredibly excited all along about it. Even the most vocal nay-sayers are now excited, but it was very draining and I was completely unprepared for that kind of reaction.
My feeling is that the "theme" is to get people excited, kids and adults. Hogwarts will do that. As you can see, there are still "regular" classes, they are just wrapped around Hogwarts. We had a lot of people that could not understand how the classes would be offered...like everything would be about Harry Potter (the theme is Hogwarts, which is a school, not HP), they suggested things like Lord of the Rings (which is not a school and not the same thing!), or famous children's literature as an alternative theme.
I think they get it now though. :p But, go in prepared if you suggest it.

Children's literature is surprisingly divisive. What's funny to me is how many parents are very touchy about the "darkness" in Harry Potter... but then let their kids read lots of other books or listen to the audiobooks when they're just as dark, there just haven't been as many big cultural conversations about them.

I think all the kids in my co-op have read or been read at least the first book. We only have ten kids. Usually the kids suggest our themes and we all vote on them and then we just focus on that theme for a couple of months. But we could have "Hogwarts" be one of our themes and each week could be a different mini-Hogwarts class.

Teri
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Ten kids is much more manageable, as far as getting a feel for families. We have close to 100 kids at the moment. If it was the few families we had a couple of years ago, I think it might have been different.
Our co-op meets weekly during the fall and spring semesters. Right now, we have 8 classes for each semester, but sprinkled in are our field trips, so the semester lasts 12 weeks, with 8 actual class days.
We have no requirement that everyone teach. We require that everyone participate and help, but that could mean assisting in a class, playground monitor, lunch clean-up, after co-op clean-up, etc.
We have found that teachers that WANT to teach are much more effective. ;)

MrsLOLcat
04-28-2013, 01:12 PM
OK, see, if we had a local co-op that would offer stuff like THAT, I would be totally in. TOTALLY. Those naysayers need to shut their traps and realize how lucky they are to have such a wonderful group of people running their co-op! Wow!

opheliag
04-28-2013, 07:06 PM
My son is now disappointed that we don't live anywhere near you. That looks amazing!