PDA

View Full Version : Last year of math?

dbmamaz
04-27-2013, 09:29 PM
So, we are coming up on Orion's last year of homeschooling. My plan is to put him in community college and have him get a two year degree. I figure I can give him support (scheduling, organization, encouragement, whip-cracking) to get him through, then he has a degree and can get a job and earn money while he matures and figures out what he wants to do with his life.

The programs I am looking at vary as far as expected math, from 'college' algebra (which is actually more like algebra 2), precalc or calc - and all, i think, give some flexibility if you need to be somewhere else.

We started homeschooling in 8th grade and that year was a wash for math.

9th grade we started with upper level singapore. It was very slow going. I used the extra workbook a lot if he didnt understand something 100%. We finished the first and second years of (New Syllabus Mathematics), and then used Life of Fred Beginning Algebra as review.

He was still finishing up the LOF this fall. He has just finished up book 3A of Discovering Mathematics (note, this is 3rd year of upper level, not grade 3, as someone accused me of elsewhere :confused: ) and we've started 3B, which starts with basic trig functions. We are using Khan lecture and then doing problems from the book.

So . . when we finish this? which seems short to me? then what?

I'm not convinced i want to start the next level, which includes calc. I'm wondering if I want to do more review? i thought of doing review for the community college entry test, but that test only covers through algebra 2.

I THINK it makes more sense to do more review . . . but LOF algebra 2 and geometry? I think thats too much? Khan academy? SAT review books?

any ideas? I might post this 'over there' if i dont get much response

farrarwilliams
04-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Well, why not start with that practice CC entrance math exam? That might tell you more about exactly where to focus your efforts on what to review. Or, if he totally aces it, it might tell you what to push on with instead?

dbmamaz
04-27-2013, 10:20 PM
we're already a full year past that test if not 2, but yeah, i'll check the practice tests out.

btw, i asked hubby the mathematician for advice, but he just got in an argument about the quality of american colleges vs canadian colleges, and the limitations of Orion's abilities . . . not helpful, grumpy old sick dude (we both have a wicked cold)

WhatEverWorks
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
There are other branches of math to explore, such as Discrete Math and Mathematical Models. Calculus has, in my experience, limited value in high school unless its a prereq for another high school class, it would look good on college applications or you just enjoy math. College level moves so fast, they'll cover everything you already know in the first few weeks.

dbmamaz
04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
but he doesnt really retain things so well. so moving in to new and different areas is not necessarily best for him. he's not INTERESTED in math, i just want to make sure he's really well prepared for his future, which is totally uncharted as of yet

WhatEverWorks
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Well, it sounds like you've answered your question - if moving to new areas is not best for him, then stick with review. However, I stand by my recommendation for Math Models, as that is a fairly standard community college math class.

farrarwilliams
04-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I think the math one is most likely to need if you don't go into science and engineering is statistics. Have you done much with that? That's what I did with my last year of high school math, actually. I had done everything up to calculus but I didn't want to do calculus. I still had to take a fourth year of math though - there were just a very few people in the same boat as me - kids who had done algebra early but didn't want to pursue calculus - so they had a statistics class - like intro to college level statistics.

Stella M
04-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Dd15 will be finishing up her main math at the end of this year.

The year after will be review/general maths and a class in statistics. She's looking to go into social sciences, so statistics is where it would be good for her to put some time and energy.

If she ends up needing calculus in her life, she'll have to go learn it herself.

opheliag
04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Just being an echo here: but have you thought about statistics? My husband was a computer science major with lots of math and just told me the other day that he wished he had taken a statistics course because that is what he needs in business. Perhaps keep reviewing his algebra and other maths and start statistics with him.

dbmamaz
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
I think the math one is most likely to need if you don't go into science and engineering is statistics. Have you done much with that? .
So, i really cant figure out what this means.

Singapore covers some stat in their upper level books. but as i look more, i'm thinking SAT practice book, dec SAT, and then maybe stat or something, idk.

of course, his vocab probably needs some brushing up for the SAT too .. .

maybe SAT in jan or march . . .

dbmamaz
04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
i'm starting to think the singapore upper levels really DONT cover everything the american system covers. i'm starting to get really frustrated trying to coordinate his current book, which seems to be the only book covering trig functions, with the khan academy videos - the book covers different material than the videos. really. like the book covers obtuse angles but the video covers inverse functions (LOF covers both) It feels like this book is just rushing through, memorizing formulas and doing problems, not explaining much. i'm really frustrated. I feel like he needs review of algebra 2, geometry and trig . . . how do I do that in one year?

CatInTheSun
04-28-2013, 11:14 PM
i'm starting to think the singapore upper levels really DONT cover everything the american system covers. i'm starting to get really frustrated trying to coordinate his current book, which seems to be the only book covering trig functions, with the khan academy videos - the book covers different material than the videos. really. like the book covers obtuse angles but the video covers inverse functions (LOF covers both) It feels like this book is just rushing through, memorizing formulas and doing problems, not explaining much. i'm really frustrated. I feel like he needs review of algebra 2, geometry and trig . . . how do I do that in one year?

If I were trying to REVIEW those three in one year I would do them simultaneously, such as on different days of the week, maybe ALG 2 and GEO 2 days a week and Trig 1 day a week? THey complement but they really are almost different subjects, and that way you can keep them current in the mind leading up to the SAT.

If you could do the review in half a class (since it is review) you could even layer a brief statistics class 5 days a week. It doesn't have to be intense. Just exposing average and standard deviation would help prime the pumps if he ends up going that way later. There are a lot of ways to approach it in a very applications based, hands on way, too. Maybe tie it into any science you might be doing, since data usually involves statistics. Or do it as a unit or single term....options....

popsicle1010
04-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Please disregard this question if it is a gossipy, but I was wondering where 'there' is:

"any ideas? I might post this 'over there' if i dont get much response"

:)

dbmamaz
04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
lol the well trained mind forum. i was there a lot for a while but havent gone as much the last month or so. there are a lot more religious people (needless to say) and just a ton of drama in general . .. people are always one-upping each other and accusing each other of being trolls, and the athiest group is seriously anti-religion and just mean, and yet still defensive about catholicism because many of them are recent ex-catholics . . . but there are a lot of ppl with a lot of experience.

popsicle1010
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you!

The main thing I know about the WTM forum is that a lot of the member descriptions seem to be related to bees (for a reason I don't understand) which feels appropriate because reading too many posts on that forum gives me hives! lol

dbmamaz
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
the forum is called the hive mind? i never knew why. but they are big on euphemisms. like tea . . . books . . . oh, or is it tEa and bOOks

farrarwilliams
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
They do get more traffic than here so I think a lot of that is related to spam. If you actually type the real words, the mods will come in eventually and ask people kindly not to because it increases their work. But the bee thing is creepy. I was glad they changed the title system to not mean anything past "Just Visiting."

Did you decide what to do, Cara? I'll be someone out there (or possibly over there) has correlated the upper SM levels with the typical US sequence.

dbmamaz
04-29-2013, 04:51 PM
well, for one thing, I decided to try to just calm down and go through 3B as written and not stress over it. Today went well. He does understand this stuff more than I think he does (tho he makes a lot of dumb errors . .. like forgetting to square the sides of the triangles for pythagorean theorem, or forgetting that calculating the sin of an angle is not the same as calculating the angle.

I think part of my stress was that I had emotional issues w math starting in pre-calc . . . that was when I started throwing my grades on purpose instead of embracing my ability - because even in the gifted classes, people were jealous of me, and i wanted friends . . . and i ended up not confident about precalc and calc .. . and then bombed second year math in college . . . and dh is SO unhelpful.

Anyways, after 3B i'll do SAT prep for a while, have him take the SAT, and then maybe just do fun math . . . like those Vi Hart videos on Khan. I think that should be enough imo. and then hopefully he can take pre-calc at community college. His PSAT math scores were pretty poor, so I think a lot of SAT review will help.

Cynthia Williford
05-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Have you seen Math Without Borders (http://mathwithoutborders.com/?) It's a series of courses on DVD taught by David Chandler. Algebra 1, 2 and Precalculus all use books by Paul Forester. I had already bought Thinkwell when this program was recommended to me. If your son likes video lectures, he might like this program. You can view sample lectures at the website. I hear you about the math anxiety. I still hyperventilate when I think about rotating solids around an axis. My dh is a mathematician and he's no help either because he simply can't understand why math is hard for people to understand. :rolleyes:

dbmamaz
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
but we've already done algebra 1 and 2 and are now doing trig - i dont need a new math curriculum. i've heard about them tho, but havent looked in to it.