PDA

View Full Version : Are your children permitted to eat junk food?

Misha
04-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you allow your child(ren) to eat junk food?

1) No
2) On occasion
3) Yes, my child(ren) eat what they want, with limitations
4) Yes, my child(ren) eat what they want, with no limitations
5) Other

murphs_mom
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Define junk food. :p

We've met a broad range of folks around here. There are your traditional 'junkies' who consider the cuisine found at Dollar General to be standard fare, the folks who shop at Wallyworld and do the best they can to avoid garbage-filled stuffs (that would be us), and then there are those that I refer to as "the granola mommies" who give their kids nothing that isn't organic, made at home, and has fewer than 5 ingredients (a couple of friends are like this).

We do our best to avoid trans fats, HFCS, hydrogenated anything, dyes (especially red & yellow), bleached/enriched flours, etc. DD does not like soda (YAY!) so it's a non-issue, but she's got my chocolate addiction and we don't withhold those things. We just ask her to limit it to one or two a day and she's very good about it. In a restaurant, she will frequently skip the fries that come with kid meals and asks for a salad or veggies instead. All her choice. The only real food mandates I have are just 1 hot dog a week (she'd eat them every meal if we let her), she has to have her prunes daily (loves them & needs them - regulatory issues), and she must try a tiny (1/4 tsp) bite of all new foods before deciding "I don't like that". Like most things in her world, we try to teach her the facts, explain the good and bad, hope that she makes good decisions, and we only step in if we see that something really awful is about to happen.

snowpeople5
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
I had to smile when I read this bc two days ago my kids had McD for lunch and Donkin Donuts for dinner.

But that's not our norm.

So, to answer your question, yes, they are allowed to eat what they want. That being said, here is my philosophy on food thing.

My oldest had a very clean diet for a longest time. For his 2nd b-day my IL's decided to introduce him to McD. I rolled my eyes but didn't stop them. By the time my 2nd was eating solids, my oldest was already having some (very few) "junk" items. My youngest has had the most amount of junk at this age. So, they didn't know junk food, their first foods were very very healthy and I think (and hope) that is what they are used to and keep going back to.

When we at the grocery store, I usually let them buy what they want. Chips, cookies, pretzels, whatever. However, they will also usually get some yogurt and some fruit and some veggies - they pick various items. My two oldest also like to get sushi a lot.

I've been reading some kiddy books to them about nutrition. I use "everyday food" and "sometimes food".

So, I don't say "no", but I keep reiterating what foods are good and what we can live without. I am hoping that by not saying "no" I am not creating a "forbidden fruit" situation and they will learn to moderate things. We'll see :)

One time at the store, my oldest asked me if chocolate chips had any protein in it - the lady next to us couldn't stop laughing.

hockeymom
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
DS is super nutrition aware and makes excellent choices; he's a great eater, likes a wide variety of foods and flavors and doesn't shy away from new foods (quite the opposite, he's very adventurous). He is the kid at the grocery store who begs for broccoli and mushrooms and checks labels to make sure there isn't too much sodium/fats/calories/etc--and of course no transfats. He drinks only water or 1% milk (his choice), and the occasional juice or smoothie (he also likes a locally made root beer, and has that maybe 2 or 3 times a year).

At sweet heavy times like the holidays, he prefers small amounts of something like licorice or fig bars than anything else. He doesn't like chocolate and rarely asks for dessert-y treats, except for ice cream which he does love. Thus, we really have no need to place limits, it's all self imposed. We are lucky, I know.

JinxieFox
04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I think everyone will have their own idea of what constitutes "junk food". For us:

Fast food - once a month is enough, thank you very much.

Chips, cookies, candy, and the like - we indulge with impunity on Friday nights during D&D, and allow my son to do the same. After all, it would be hypocritical of us to say, "You're a child. Only the adults get chips tonight." Though he knows his limitations, as do we. Don't go crazy. Don't give yourself a tummy ache. But treats are always after dinner.

He's also allowed a handful of chips or a few cookies a couple of times during the week. I personally have a routine of sitting down every day at 4 p.m. to watch "Deal or No Deal" (oh, how I'll miss British television), and having a drink and a snack. He's allowed a little snack too, and he is pretty good about alternating between junk food and healthy choices each day. If he chose an apple yesterday, he'll choose cookies today, then probably go for a string cheese tomorrow. :)

quabbin
04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
We have some limits. DS seems to have an intolerance to Yellow #5 (tartrazine), so we try not to let him have food coloring. However, he does like sugar foods. I try to keep them labeled as such so that he's clear on why we choose foods like that only sometimes.
He's also a huge fan of fruit. He doesn't mind a lot of veggies, and in fact will go back to eating them after dessert if he's still hungry.

MrsLOLcat
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I put "On occasion." We just don't keep a lot of junk food around here. I'm happy to let the kids have some if it's not right before mealtime. All they have to do is say, "Hey, Mom, can I have...?" or "Hey, Mom, I'm getting...." What irritates me is the sneaking because, oh yes, we have sneaking of food, too. It's not just electronics. And because I'm not very restrictive with food/snacks, I simply don't get it. And I wouldn't even get upset about the sneaking if I didn't find wrappers tucked in corners making the ants and cats go nuts... or, like last week, a half-eaten Ring Pop adhered to a shelf in DS' closet. *sigh*

As for junk food MEALS like fast food, we have those more often than I care to think about. After swim meets, on really busy days like yesterday, etc., we do go hit up the easy restaurants. They are both good about making good food choices, though, and will often opt for salad or steamed veggies at restaurants rather than fries or other fried food.

mpippin
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Yes, no restrictions. I have trusted this method with my children and it has worked. They are not junk food junkies. We don't keep junk in the house, but they are always welcome to walk to the store down the street and get a pack of sweets. We don't do fast food, but we go out to eat.

Restricting things can lead to intense desire for those things. I was put on a calorie counting diet as a child. I would then sneak food when my mother wasn't looking. I have an unhealthy relationship with food now, and I am way overweight, and I am working on this. With my kids, I place no demands and no restrictions. Eat when you're hungry, eat what you want, and if you want to eat all of your Halloween candy on October 31st, by all means, help yourself.

Funny thing... When there are no food rules, the kids govern themselves. Tuna had an apple and apple juice for breakfast, scrambled eggs with cheese for lunch, another apple for snack, walked to get gummies, had some gummies (which she shared), and ate black bean soup for dinner. Some days, she has sweets. Some days, she doesn't. Some days, Bay is ravenous and eats all day, some days, she hardly eats at all. They follow their internal signals. And it works.

Now, if only I could do the same....Working on that one!

Stella M
04-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Chocolate is a health food, right ?

farrarwilliams
04-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Occasionally I meet the children who have never had candy ever. I pity them, to be honest.

We eat junk food. I tried to let the kids regulate it themselves and it really didn't work. That has worked for us for some things, but when ds had Halloween candy when he was little, he once ate until he barfed. And I thought, great, he learned a lesson! But no. Not at all. We cleaned him up and he went right back to the candy. Ick. We have dessert of some kind most days. That's it unless there's something special going on. We have Five Guys or Pizza occasionally as well.

Lazy Jane
04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
We eat junk food during emergencies.

But then what is your definition of junk food? We have "treats" sometimes. Is ice cream junk food? That's a debate. My daughter has never eaten McDonald's or had a twinkie. I don't consider Coca Cola a food at all. Junk Food for us is the bag of cheetoes that get eaten about every other month, or Taco Bell/In and Out Burger when we are hungry and I can't or won't go make a meal. Or a lolly pop. Or when we are hanging out with my daughter's dad (meat and sugar is his diet). Basically we eat really healthy, organic, whole food, minimal processing, and living foods like raw milks, yogurt, garden produce, kombucha, when we eat dessert it is healthy, my daughter prefers dark 72% cacao chocolate to that fake stuff they use in candy bars...so when the option of "junk food" comes along, I can relax because I know that we had good eating habits and a little sin here and there don't hurt. And really its how much you eat that makes it junky. I DON'T think ice cream is junk food if it is made of whole healthy ingredients unless it replaces meals or is eaten every day.

Plus, she doesn't ask much. She knows what I think of that stuff. She's also sensitive, so I am sure to point out when too much sugar or poor nutrition is affecting her negatively. So she too is conscious of it. There is usually a healthyish version of any junk food.

Crabby Lioness
04-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm an Epicurean, I believe in moderation in all things.

Every food has it's time and place in our house. Chips and pretzels are for when we eat sandwiches for lunch. Soda is for holidays, sickness, or picnics. Picnics include all meals eaten outside the home, except for once a month when we eat out at a restaurant. Cookies, cakes, pies, and snack foods, preferably homemade, are for tea time, which is as close to 4:00 pm as we can get it. A bite of candy is on the menu every single night, right before bedtime, and brush your teeth immediately afterwards.

Our dentist wants to canonize us. :o

inmom
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I voted yes--no limitations. But that's only because at their age (15 & 16) they've internalized the notion of moderation when it comes to junk food. Now when they were younger, I would have answered yes, with limitations.

But my ds will most likely reach for cottage cheese or a piece of fruit when he's hungry, and my daughter just doesn't snack much anyway.

melissa
04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I voted yes, with limitations. Ds can have candy any time of day, AFTER he eats real food. He eats chips regularly, but WITH a sandwich or at least some cheese. We rarely eat out(fast food or not) because it is just so expensive. I agree with Farrar, kids who NEVER get candy? That is just sad.

Mum
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
DS is such a thin, picky eater that I get excited to see him consuming calories of any kind.

murphs_mom
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
We eat junk food during emergencies.

This is a bit O/T, but your comment gave me a flashback & giggle. I have a friend who used to live in Louisiana when we were in our early 20's. She was working her first teaching job after college, money was tight, and she had this so-so little apartment in a complex that was 3 stories high and horseshoe shaped. She came home from work completely worn out, it was hot as heck, and she decided to take a nap. She fell asleep deeper than planned...at roughly 8pm, someone started banging on her front door and they were screaming, "FIRE!". Girl is a slow waker, so it didn't register at first. When someone came through a few minutes later and did the same thing, she got up this time and went to the front door. When she opened the door, she was hit with this furnace blast of heat. It was so hot, her metal apartment door had warped. The guy who lived directly across from her apartment had fallen asleep on the couch while smoking, his couch caught fire, and then the whole apartment was going up in smoke & flame. The fire took out several apartments before the FD could get it all under control. When she saw the flames and the smoke, she realized (finally) what was going on...girl grabbed the first three things she could think of: her purse & her signed letters from Hattie McDaniels & Olivia de Havilland. Mind you, this was in the days long before cell phones. All she could do was head out of the apartment with her stuff and watch from a curb across the street. She sat on that curb barefoot, clutching her purse and two framed letters while she watched to see if the rest of her possessions were going to burn. Girl finally realized that there was a payphone at the top of the block so she called her parents in KY collect. When her mom answered the phone, my friend just lost it and started sobbing to her mom, "It's burning! It's all burning! There's fire everywhere!" Needless to say, her mom was totally freaked out too, but being a mom, she calmly asked, "Are you okay? What's going on?" My friend told her mom that she was okay, but that she couldn't stop shaking or sobbing, and then told her about the fire. Her mom told her, "I want you to hang up the phone, walk up the street to the market and buy yourself something to drink and eat, and then sit down on that curb and eat/drink them. Call me back when you're done, okay?" My friend stumbled up the street, walked barefoot into the corner market (the cashier didn't say a word about how she looked), she bought her drink and food, and then walked back to the payphone to call me in MO. When I answered the phone, I knew something was wrong cause she sounded raspy, a little weird, and very stressed. I asked her, "What's wrong?" She told me about the fire and the call to her mom. When I asked her if the drink and food had helped, she told me, "I don't know yet, I'm still working on both of them." We kept talking and, after I could tell she was getting more calm, I asked her if she was feeling any better...if her mom's suggestions had helped. She answered, "I'm not shaking or crying anymore, but my heart still feels like it's going to jump out of my chest. And now I feel like I want to throw up." I asked, "What did you get to eat & drink?" It hadn't occurred to me to ask before that point. Her answer? A can of beer and a box of Little Debbie Nutty Buddies. She drank the beer AND ate the whole box of Little Deb's in about 10 min. That, kids, is emergency junk food. :p

PetVet
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
i chose 'yes, with limitations' - limitations being A) we don't keep junk food in the house and B) we live 5m/8Km from nearest store. when he's old enough he'll be able to ride his bike into town whenever he likes, but the route is too busy for that right now. we mostly shop the farmers market, but do go to a grocery store once or twice weekly and he is welcome to pick out a few treats for himself then. as well, we always get something 'junky' for sat night - hockey night in canada! ;) he's a much healthier eater than i was as a child and i think that's because he wasn't exposed to junk until he started public school - when i compare his choices with those of his friends who come to the house for meals/snacks, his preferences include less sugar, less fat, less meat, less dairy, and less processed 'crap' in general.

dbmamaz
04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
we have food issues - no wheat, dairy or food dye for the kids, and i cant do canola oil, which makes it all very limiting. we basically never eat out at all . . . when I make burgers for dinner (turkey, cuz its easier for us to digest) i serve potato chips and soda with it, but dh and Raven wont drink soda. I limit sweets because Orion's meds made him gain a TON of weight and we want to keep that under control.

I bake our sweets, and obviously with my knee being out of commision for 14 mo, there's been a lot less of that. I did make some home made pb cups the other day . . . Raven wont eat the chocolate, but i made him one plain one and ate the chocolate off another for him. Orion is restricted to having one after lunch and one after dinner, because otherwise he would eat them all at once and not leave any for anyone else.

I always have marshmallows around for urgent sweet cravings, and Orion often has chocolate syrup which he'll put in his cereal . . . .

i try to let them have freedom within thier limitations . . . but even before the food allergies, fast food was a very rare thing.

this does make it hard to do activities - most kids activities are scheduled during dinner because 'its the only free time they have' and obviously everyone else just buys fast food and eats it in the car on the way there. I wont do that.

KittyP
04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, but we have a hard enough time getting kiddo to eat healthy, so we limit it to when we're at other people's houses and homemade 'junk' (usually with a heaping dose of hidden nutrition ;)) Kiddo and Hubby have raging sweet teeth so there's usually lots of sweets around the house for them. When we're visiting we usually let him have whatever gets offered to him unless it's really just too much.

dbmamaz
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
yeah, maybe i'm out of touch with what is junk . . . Orion just made a fresh loaf of gluten free sandwich bread in the bread machine. Raven was crying over his work, and I offered him a slice of fresh bread with margarine and honey if he finished what he was doing - he was SO excited! lol

farrarwilliams
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
It's true that no food gets devoured in this house the way a package of raspberries or blackberries does.

And when we do "junk" food, it's often the "all natural" sort - no Cheetoes, but Pirate's Booty... that sort of thing.

Sionnon
04-25-2013, 03:16 PM
I voted yes with limitations. I try to just not buy junk food, but if they are out and there is junk food I don't say no.

If we had it in the house it would be consumed in excess.

jessica14
04-25-2013, 04:47 PM
I voted yes with limitations. I try to just not buy junk food, but if they are out and there is junk food I don't say no.

If we had it in the house it would be consumed in excess.

Yes, this is us exactly. I was actually just having a conversation with someone earlier today about a fellow homeschool mom and nutritionist. I have been going to her for weight loss issues, but she is so strict in her veganism-no sugar-organic-no GMO's-no gluten thing that I don't think she realizes that not everyone or their families are going to go by that. Her kids went to Disney and ate canned bean chili because they are not allowed any sugar at all or anything processed. I always said that to each his own, but I just found that really sad. They had a great time and the kids are young enough (three under 7) to go along with it, but I do think that they will eventually want to try something someday. I'm not sure that chewing fennel seeds would give me the same satisfaction as a plain ole Oreo.

And the emergency thing-lots of junk food for hurricanes! I remember my Mom buying a ton of chips, cookies, and candy for a hurricane when I was little. As soon as danger passed last year, we grabbed a pizza. We had a bunch of yummy stuff for Sandy as well.

Lianne13
04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
If junk food equates to non-food items then mostly no. On a daily basis we do not eat anything that is processed and came in a package, i.e everything here is made from scratch. Our kids will eat some non-food items when on trips or visiting family who don't seem to understand that a fruit snacks or bag of goldfish are not actually food. They are getting good now though at politely turning down kid filler/fake foods and asking for nuts, cheese or fresh fruit instead. If they want pizza, french fries, chocolate or ice cream we just make it, old school...and they learn to appreciate real food.

Stella M
04-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Can I have the recipe for homemade chocolate please ? LOL

We also make most of our 'junk' food at home. Homemade pizza is the best!

Mmm...now I want to go and make homemade caramel sauce for a milkshake. And bake me some fries :)

Dangerous thread!

Misha
04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
we have food issues - no wheat, dairy or food dye for the kids, and i cant do canola oil, which makes it all very limiting. we basically never eat out at all . . . when I make burgers for dinner (turkey, cuz its easier for us to digest) i serve potato chips and soda with it, but dh and Raven wont drink soda. I limit sweets because Orion's meds made him gain a TON of weight and we want to keep that under control.

I bake our sweets, and obviously with my knee being out of commision for 14 mo, there's been a lot less of that. I did make some home made pb cups the other day . . . Raven wont eat the chocolate, but i made him one plain one and ate the chocolate off another for him. Orion is restricted to having one after lunch and one after dinner, because otherwise he would eat them all at once and not leave any for anyone else.

I always have marshmallows around for urgent sweet cravings, and Orion often has chocolate syrup which he'll put in his cereal . . . .

i try to let them have freedom within thier limitations . . . but even before the food allergies, fast food was a very rare thing.

this does make it hard to do activities - most kids activities are scheduled during dinner because 'its the only free time they have' and obviously everyone else just buys fast food and eats it in the car on the way there. I wont do that.

It's very similar for us. Given the severity of the food allergies, I make our "junk" also. A lot of baking, I try to make fun stuff so they'll be happy and not feel left out.

Misha
04-25-2013, 07:41 PM
It's true that no food gets devoured in this house the way a package of raspberries or blackberries does.

And when we do "junk" food, it's often the "all natural" sort - no Cheetoes, but Pirate's Booty... that sort of thing.

Oh my, I had a bit of an addiction to the veggie booty for a while. And I loved the dairy-free cheeto type things from the same company.

Pawz4me
04-25-2013, 07:43 PM
We're pretty easy going when it comes to food. I suffered through an eating disorder for years and almost wasn't able to conceive because of it. The lesson I took from that is that it's terribly unhealthy to be obsessed about food, regardless of whether it's "good" food or "junk." So in our house nothing is bad and nothing is off limits (although I rarely/never buy candy simply because we don't particularly like it). On the whole the boys are fairly balanced eaters. Yeah, they eat chips. But they're just as likely to grab grapes, apples, bananas or yogurt as they are chips. Moderation in all things is our motto.

KristinK
04-25-2013, 09:22 PM
The more I read and learn about food, the more strict I have become. There are so many things that can be solved with proper nutrition, that I just can't ignore it. I AM one of those make-everything-at-home/no-packaged-foods people. The kids don't drink juice, we drink kefir water (which I DO flavour with organic juice, but it's no longer pure juice...) or smoothies. We only buy raw dairy (well, except butter, which I just can't afford) and grass-fed meats. I add fat to everything (but no veg oils). I have alot of food rules.

That said, we bake daily. I buy high quality ingredients and we make our favorites. Either we make chocolate with coconut oil and raw cacao and maple syrup, or I buy organic chocolate bars/chips for treats...we eat chocolate daily, and yes Stella, chocolate counts as a health food ;)

We eat alot of popcorn coated in butter (I believe in animal fats and use them liberally), but every couple of weeks I'll buy a high quality bag of potato chips. I no longer support any company that I KNOW has opposed the GMO labelling bills. So that cuts out alot of crap.

I count ice cream as healthy not junk...but we make our own with raw milk and maple syrup and organic chocolate. it is SO freaking satisfying that I am no longer tempted by the Dairy Queen down the street that used to call me weekly all summer long.

we haven't bought food from somewhere like McD's in well over a year now..but we get take-out from a local lebanese restaurant every other week or so...and pizza maybe once/month (but never from somewhere like Dominos or PIzza Hut, which are so fake seeming)...

there are SO many levels to "junk food" that it's hard to say. Compared to some, I'm ridiculously strict. But I still let my kids go out for H'ween and eat alot of it, etc.

I don't believe that all kids can self-modulate. I could not. I remember frequently eating myself ill on junk food. I was overweight, out of shape, and I never learned. I'd buy bagloads of penny candy at the corner store every day on the way to school, and I was unable to moderate at all. I still can't handle chocolate in the house, so I only stock the good stuff ;)

farrarwilliams
04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't think homemade pizza qualifies as junk food. :D

It's tough. I don't do as much as I'd like. I bake, but I'd like to bake more. And we mostly eat well, but not anywhere near as good as many people. We do have things like store bought crackers a lot. On the other hand, we eat so much better than many families. My kids think McDonalds is disgusting and that Panera is their idea of a good fast food chain. So I feel like I've done something right, even if we're not as good as I'd like us to be.

KristinK
04-25-2013, 09:48 PM
baby steps. my dd7 lived on Cheerios and Breton crackers for years. She had a mouthful of cavities by the time she was 5. now, thankfully, after focusing the past year on using grains properly, learning to make my own crackers (sourdough, soaked wheat, or grain-free), her last checkup had no new cavities....

there's always something we "could be doing better"...sometimes that's daunting, but othertimes you can just think "hey, instead of buying those GMO ridden Reese's cups that I love so much, let's google a recipe!" and lo and behold, there are many :D babysteps :D

Accidental Homeschooler
04-26-2013, 12:41 AM
I just finished reading Amazon.com: Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease (9781594631009): Robert H. Lustig: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Chance-Beating-Against-Processed/dp/159463100X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366950608&sr=1-1&keywords=fat+chance+robert+lustig) and it was so scary, really, reading about metabolic syndrome. I didn't really worry about it because my kids aren't overweight and while I could stand to take off ten, my weight is not at a really unhealthy level. But I didn't know that something like forty percent of people who are not overweight develop it also. So even though I answered yes with limitations I am going to try to do better, especially with getting rid of more sugar. But anyway, it is a good book and I wish I could say "No".

Gummers
04-26-2013, 03:24 AM
I answered yes with limitations. We eat out and order in a lot which usually means junkish food... even "healthy" food at a nice restaurant isn't usually all that healthy. But we don't keep cookies, chips, ice cream, crackers, fruit snacks, or things like that in the house except for special occasions.

valerieanne
04-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Yes, with limitations.

We are gluten free for medical reasons. We sit down to three healthy meals a day, and usually have a dessert after supper. On our "town" day, aside from the GF limitations, anything goes. Our favourite town meal is vietnamese egg rolls, and we know all the GF candy brands by heart!

jenblackwell2
04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Fun topic. I always try to find a balance and that seems to be the consensus. Many friends are amazed at how my 4 year old will say without hesitation that Cauliflower is her favorite food. We don't have much junk around the house, so that helps. But I have to be honest occasionally I really enjoy junk, so how can I deny my kiddos while stuffing my face with McNuggets...

Another rule I have is after a special event like Halloween or most recently Easter, they get one week of very limited restriction on the candy, then we are back to just a piece or two a day. When it is gone we wait until the next canditastic holiday or event. :)

Brittaya
04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I guess I'm one of the "granola mommies". We discovered last fall that our 2 year old is allergic to corn and corn byproducts which means there's a 5 page long list of food ingredients we can no longer eat. This has led to me doing a ton of research on food and what we put into our bodies and things like GMOs. As a result we don't eat much of anything processed anymore. Lots of hemp milk and chia seeds around here. We also have to make our own baking powder, yeast, vanilla extract, etc the list goes on and on, everything is "corntaminated". Grocery store trips take hours and I usually leave with very few items.. Junk food is always home made and usually I use coconut oil and maple syrup in place of the usual suspects.

CatInTheSun
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think it is reasonable to expect kids to learn to develop natural restraint around foods whose existence is entirely unnatural. We evolved to crave sugar and high calorie foods, but that was when they were bound with nutrients. Then being the smart self-destructive monkeys we are, we figured out how to strip the sugar and fat away and package them without the "real food". This confuses the primitive brain and our guts. It is't about willpower or eating until we get sick once and "learning". IMO its about teaching kids a basic healthy approach towards food.

I have had migraines since childhood, so there are no additives, MSG, or the like in our house to start. I also don't allow anything containing high fructose corn syrup, or hydrogenated oils in our house (so basically no processed or snack foods). Mind you, if we are at someone else's home, I don't balk if the kids eat some chips or what have you -- when in Rome... I am more concerned with our daily diet than the occasional thing.

Mind you, I don't make a big deal about it, it's just not in our home. I make homemade pizza, I just use 75% whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal. I make shells and cheese from scratch with 1 Tb of butter and color with tumeric instead of Mac'n cheese from a box.

My kids still have full bags of Halloween candy, because they just aren't into candy, and I've told them today is the last day to finish off their Valentine's candy (a small box of Conversation hearts, which they actually like) which they have had free access to on their placemats. So I don't think that limiting means automatic deprivation and later binging. My kids like the occasional cookie and candy and Cheetos. So do I. But they understand those are TREATS, not part os their regular diet, and shouldn't displace the nutritious calories they eat.

TO be honest, the last 10 weeks has been more torturous for ME because I LOVE conversation hearts and I just wish they would EAT THEM so I don't have to look at them at the table. every. day. and. not. eat. them. myself! LOL I am NOT so good about walking away from the treats. And lets not get started at the bag of their leftover Easter candies. Geesh. I'm afraid the Easter Bunny cracked and repossed a lot of their jellybeans this month. :(

leakyowl
05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
It's funny--I don't limit junk food for my two boys, but they almost always ask for an apple or goldfish (goldfish are our junk food most of the time). My eldest (my step-son) we do have to limit pretty severely because of his eating habits at his mom's house. But, G helps me write the grocery list, plans our weekly menu with me, and has 3 lists on the fridge (breakfasts, lunches, snacks--which he's filled out with options of his own design). There are very few times that I'm so grateful for autism, but his diet is one of them. Because of it, his mouth starts to hurt if he eats something too sweet, fizzy drinks make him nauseous, and it doesn't occur to him to eat candy for breakfast. However, I have to make sure not to buy chips that much--if he doesn't eat them all, I will! I'm the worst snacker in the house.

zcat
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
We eat most of our meals prepared from home and try not to buy a lot of convenience foods. I don't spend our limited budget on a lot of sugary drinks or chips. Snacks are usually fruit, crackers, cheese or yogurt- which dd likes. We mostly drink water, juice, milk or tea. I make a dessert item maybe once per week. Dd can choose 1 treat item when we go grocery shopping, even if it is junk food. It isn't a rule that people can't have junk food in our home, but there is just naturally a limited amount in our home each week.

twobirdslearn
05-30-2013, 02:02 PM
I voted yes with limitations. We mostly eat whole foods and now that we get deliveries from our farm co-op I go to the market much less. We do keep ice cream in the freezer but I prefer to make homemade desserts and treats. I love to bake and cook so we don't eat out a lot. If we do fast food it's usually Subway. But they do eat sweets, especially around holidays and I do let them pick out a package of cookies or other treat occassionally when we are at the market.

Fortunately their favorite snacks are fruit, yogurt, and stick cheese so I don't mind them having "junk" once in a while.

iris0110
05-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes with limitations. We are mostly gluten free vegan because I am gluten free and dairy free. The boys are not as constrained but since I cook they are a bit stuck. We don't eat out much because it is expensive and I can't order anything anyway. My youngest is also dairy free (he is casein intolerant) and my oldest cannot have dye. So I make all of our food and we primarily eat veggies, lentils, beans, nuts, and seeds. The boys can have candy as long as it is dye free for my oldest and dairy free for my youngest. I make goodies sometimes too but they are healthy goodies. Every once in a while we eat out and they can order what they want so long as it fits into their dietary restrictions. On very rare occasions we are really bad and have ice cream, most of us regret it later.