PDA

View Full Version : I got a Nook!

Wilma
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I have been dithering between the nook and kindle. My kids like the touch screen of the nook, but I wanted to take a look at it. I also wanted to make sure I didn't want the ones Borders will be selling.

I was very disappointed in Borders. They were very unhelpful with their ereaders. I can see see why their company is struggling. So I skipped over to B&N and was helped by a very enthusiastic salesman who gave me a lot of info and allayed my fears.. On Sunday, hubby and I went back to ask some follow-up questions. We were again helped by a very nice gentleman who missed his calling and should be an NPR announcer (I will go to that store and listen to him talk when I am having a stressful day, but I digress.) Long story short, we got a Nook with wi-fi only, as well as a cover. The downside, it is my anniversary present (17 years!). My anniversary isn't until Saturday. DH then told me to make sure it was fully charged before I used it. But he wants to give me a box in pristine shape, so it has to stay in the hermetically sealed package from the store. One of those annoying quirks of his I have to put up with because I love him.

SherryZoned
07-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Congrats!! I have a Sony PRS 300 E-reader... no matter I absolutely love E-readers! That is very cool

inmom
07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Congrats on the anniversary! Too funny about your hubby and the present!

BPier12
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I have been dithering between the nook and kindle. My kids like the touch screen of the nook, but I wanted to take a look at it. I also wanted to make sure I didn't want the ones Borders will be selling.

Ann, what were the deciding factors for you between the Kindle and Nook? I've been looking at both and can't decide which one to get if I decide to shell out the money for one. I'm leaning towards the Kindle.

mommykicksbutt
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
FYI, although e-readers offer flexibility of having many books in a compact device (I love gadgets!) they do slow down your reading speed....

http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknewser/on/do_ereaders_slow_down_reading_166717.asp

http://singularityhub.com/2010/07/06/new-study-you-read-slower-on-kindle-ipad-than-with-print/

SherryZoned
07-06-2010, 06:21 PM
OMG I read that and i don't believe it at all!

I actuallly read faster because I don't have to worry about turning the page and can prop my book up so much easier with out the darn pages flipping around!

Wilma
07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Ann, what were the deciding factors for you between the Kindle and Nook? I've been looking at both and can't decide which one to get if I decide to shell out the money for one. I'm leaning towards the Kindle.

1. The touch screen. While I wanted an ereader, I am also getting this to try it out for the girls. We are doing more and more of a Robinson type school and they will need ereaders since many of the books are OOP. I asked them which they prefer and they all said they prefer a touch screen.

2. All updates will be handled electronically. IOW, as the salesman told us,"there will not be a nook2." which I assume was a reference to the Kindle 2.

3. An actual store. While they are both comparable, it is nice to know there is a store to go to with questions on how to use it or if there are any problems. I found the sales people at both the B&N I went to to be very helpful and willing to walk me through the operation of the nook.

4. Price. Unless you are wanting the additional 3G option, which we decided not to go with that because there are so many wi-fi hotspots out there (even in OK;)) the nook was $40 cheaper, although we did pay tax on it. The wi-fi/3G version was $10 more than the Kindle.

5. I read several reviews which stated the nook had a slight edge since B&N got the freezing up thing resolved. Apparently that was a problem when they first came out.

HTH!

BPier12
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
1. The touch screen. While I wanted an ereader, I am also getting this to try it out for the girls. We are doing more and more of a Robinson type school and they will need ereaders since many of the books are OOP. I asked them which they prefer and they all said they prefer a touch screen.

2. All updates will be handled electronically. IOW, as the salesman told us,"there will not be a nook2." which I assume was a reference to the Kindle 2.

3. An actual store. While they are both comparable, it is nice to know there is a store to go to with questions on how to use it or if there are any problems. I found the sales people at both the B&N I went to to be very helpful and willing to walk me through the operation of the nook.

4. Price. Unless you are wanting the additional 3G option, which we decided not to go with that because there are so many wi-fi hotspots out there (even in OK;)) the nook was $40 cheaper, although we did pay tax on it. The wi-fi/3G version was $10 more than the Kindle.

5. I read several reviews which stated the nook had a slight edge since B&N got the freezing up thing resolved. Apparently that was a problem when they first came out.

HTH!

That does help! Thanks, Ann and Happy Anniversary!!! :D

Riceball_Mommy
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM

HTH!

First of all Happy Anniversary, and also that really does make me want a Nook more. I saw the ads when they first came out in my email and I've been pretty interested in it. I especially like the updates being done electronically. It's nice to know in 6 months there won't be the pressure to buy a new one because it's fixed all the problems with the first one.

SunshineKris
07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I researched both the Nook and Kindle, read tons of reviews. I was so torn. I love Nook's ability to share books with friends. that would have been great for my reader friend and me. Everything else seemed to me a case of 6 of one, half dozen of the other. But I got the Kindle in the end (just weeks before the price cut, darn it!). For me, living overseas was a factor (Kindle beat Nook for that) and Kindle had my hometown newspaper. Nook didn't. That was a huge thing for me, too important to overlook. As upgrades happen over time, I may look at Nook again (or something else that comes out) and give the kids the Kindle. Or sell it or give it away to someone deserving. But right now I am loving hte Kindle. Enjoy your Nook! And happy anniversary!!

Melyssa
07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I have the Kindle DX and love it. I am pretty hooked on the e-reader thing now but I was a hard sell about it before. I even had a Sony Reader when they first came out and NEVER used it. I sold it to a friend. But I was determined to really try with the Kindle since it was so expensive (gift from hubby for Mother's Day) and love it now. I actually read faster I think. I don't believe it slows people down. At any rate it hasn't held me back. I actually read a couple more books than average via the Kindle than I do with real books. I carry it with me everywhere and love that I can access the internet on it if I need to. I don't like touch screen anything so for me the Kindle is a no brainer.