PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the College By Twelve segment on the Today Show?

GA_gypsy
04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
It was about the Harding family of 10 who live in Montgomery, AL. The have all started college at 12 and the oldest is now the youngest doctor ever at age 22. They never gave anymore detail than that. I found their basic website which sold an ebook about their advice but that apparently does not exist right now. Does anyone know where I could find more info? Does this sound like a typical unschooling family? I am just curious as to what that "secret" is other than they "follow their passions."

The last time I checked the Today Show website it was still there. Thanks!

Stella M
04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
No, it isn't typical for unschoolers to start university at 12.

I suspect the 'secret' is that they have profoundly gifted children.

dbmamaz
04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
i had seen it linked on fb, but didnt look . . wasnt particularly interested. here's the link, tho Meet the family who sent six kids to college by age 12 - TODAY.com (http://www.today.com/news/meet-family-who-sent-six-kids-college-age-12-1C9316706)

kadylaha
04-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I haven't seen this, but I would venture to guess that what these folks do is not unschooling. It may be very accelerated homeschool, but before I considered emulating them I would think very hard about whether it is appropriate to expect that much of a child.

farrarwilliams
04-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I feel like this was discussed on the other board awhile back about the ebook and there was something that made me roll my eyes about their method - as in, like Stella said, they just had gifted kids but they seemed to think they had some great answer, but now I totally can't remember what it was exactly...

jdubbleb
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Hmm, from their interview, I got that they were schooling based on the children's passions. As we all know, we are much more apt to lean towards learning about the things for which we have interest, thus it seems like a no brainer to enroll children in university if they've conducted in depth exploration at home.

The project that my oldest will be working on this summer is based on a college level entomology course. Of course I didn't realize it until we had discussed his project, I just searched for the syllabus to get an idea of what he'd be studying in college and low and behold, it was the same project!! Just saying that I'm sure most of our children are working on a college level without us or them knowing it, not because they are forced to, but because they WANT to, that's the difference.

jenblackwell2
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
This is interesting, but I would lean toward this being less "they found the secret" and more "they have a unique family". I do feel a little bad for any children in that large family not aiming for college level courses by age 12. It may not really be pressed, but it could certainly feel that way.

dbmamaz
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
the parents insist that they are all 'average' but i suspect they are not. they found the secret that works for them . . . we are all different, all kids grow and learn differently.

crunchynerd
04-23-2013, 02:34 PM
No, it isn't typical for unschoolers to start university at 12.

I suspect the 'secret' is that they have profoundly gifted children.
and/or, they drive them like dogs. My question is, why? Secondarily, at what cost?
One can never put back the time to build treeforts.