PDA

View Full Version : Need a name for a day

MichelleC
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm having trouble deciding what to call this day... in a previous thread Stella suggested we have a fine arts day in our schedule, which is working wonderfully, but my nine year old and husband keep getting confused by the "fine arts" name.

What we do on this day... poetry tea time, bravewriter style writing lessons, nature study and/or biology science lesson. There may be a related field trip if I'm particularly efficient.

What would you call this? I was about to write "writing and nature study day" on the board, but it sounded dull.

Teri
04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I think incorporating Thoreau's name would capture all of those things....writer, poet, naturalist. Thoreau Thursday. :p

gypsylovecircus
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
I Love the idea fro Thoreau Thursday. That beats my Project Day!! suggestion. Each week we have a project day that may focus on hiking and geocaching, finishing up art projects or just delving into books.

dragonfly
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Or if you didn't want to do it on Thursday, you could have Walden Wednesday. :)

dragonfly
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Abstract Aesthetics?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I love the idea of "Thoreau Thursday" too! (Go, Teri!) There are so many things you could incorporate--nature journals, nature-themed poetry and art projects, philosophy, biographies of naturalists, fiction about the outdoors (Farrar just did a blog post (http://farrarwilliams.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/read-alouds-to-go-with-nature-study/) with lots of read aloud ideas). I'm really excited about doing something like this now that the weather is getting better. If others are interested, maybe we could start a thread or a group to post ideas for activities and books.

We could start a new movement! (Hum "Alice's Restaurant" as you think about that! :p)