PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Evaluations-a Tell-All please.

Marmalade
07-06-2010, 11:44 AM
What can you tell me (us...the other newbies) about Portfolio Evaluations? I've heard "They visit with you/your child and look over there portfolios" but not much in the way of detail.

So-tell me your stories of evaluations....

What should I expect?

(I'd like to put it out there that I'm one of the most introverted people on the planet. I am extremely Socially Awkward and only in the past 10 years have I been able to ask a clerk at a store for something that I'd need behind the counter. I get goose bumps when I talk to a stranger...and I'd just as soon walk around lost and in tears than to stop and ask someone where I am. So-you might understand how incredibly SCARED I am about meeting a stranger and asking them to evaluate us!!!)

MamaB2C
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
What state are you in? Others in your area may have been through it. Have you checked for your state specifically on Google in case someone has a blog or anything?

My state doesn't require such things, but having adopted a child and gone through being "evaluated" on my suitability as a parent, I can understand your nervousness somewhat (though I have no problem speaking to strangers as you do). In any case, in my experience, people who do these kinds of evaluations are on your side, and want to help.

Marmalade
07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm in Florida. I need to update that little thing on the side to say that!

MamaB2C
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Here's a Yahoo group that might give you a good idea what to expect
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL_Homeschool_Evaluations/

ClaireB
07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
What area of FL are you in? I'm in the Orlando area, and just had my first eval done. The woman I met with was very nice and she just looked at the reading lists and work samples, and then asked me if I had any issues i wanted to discuss with her. I have a lot of anxiety about dealing with strangers also, but it wasn't so bad...lol. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions!

jab300
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Know anyone who is a certified teacher? Any certified teacher can perform the eval for you and having someone you know would probably make you feel more relaxed. Good luck and try not to worry. :)

Marmalade
07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Know anyone who is a certified teacher? Any certified teacher can perform the eval for you and having someone you know would probably make you feel more relaxed. Good luck and try not to worry. :)

Unfortunately I don't. My cousin-in-law will be soon...but not prior to August!

ClaireB-that eases my mind a little. I feel like my "log" isn't up to par...half of my year is dated and orderly (school at home) and half is very "summary like" (unschool) but i have lists of every single bit of educational material they used this year and of course samples.
Thanks for sharing!

Shoe
07-15-2010, 11:55 PM
What can you tell me (us...the other newbies) about Portfolio Evaluations? I've heard "They visit with you/your child and look over there portfolios" but not much in the way of detail.

So-tell me your stories of evaluations....

What should I expect?

(I'd like to put it out there that I'm one of the most introverted people on the planet. I am extremely Socially Awkward and only in the past 10 years have I been able to ask a clerk at a store for something that I'd need behind the counter. I get goose bumps when I talk to a stranger...and I'd just as soon walk around lost and in tears than to stop and ask someone where I am. So-you might understand how incredibly SCARED I am about meeting a stranger and asking them to evaluate us!!!)

I'm in NH not FL but had to go through a portfolio evaluation by a certified teacher this year...and I was terrified by the thought as well (I am quite a hermit given the choice and don't like being evaluated-and the thought of portfolio evaluation seemed more of an evaluation of me than my son). But it went really quite well. She went through the entire portfolio and looked at what he had done and how much he had accomplished... but she was quite sympathetic to homeschooling and wrote a very nice evaluation stating that my son had made sufficient progress (the state standard) and used examples from the portfolio to support it. In the end I was actually feeling good about it, since it seemed to validate my teaching as well as his progress.

Good luck. I felt your pain.