PDA

View Full Version : learning in snippets

summer94
04-05-2013, 08:49 PM
So here's something interesting I'm noticing now that I'm in our 4th month of hs.

He learns best in snippets.

So I've done so much of the "learn this subject in depth" thing and he's not retaining it, like at all. He may remember a tiny portion, but overall, he just spaces out.

Now he does have working memory deficites, as do I. So I got to thinking. As I've gotten older I've learned my own personal learning style...and it's snippets. I learn best when I have just a few minutes, I'm talking like less than 5 of a subject I'm not interested in. So I thought I'd try an experiment.

We've been learning about carbon dioxide. Nothing was really sticking. So day, we did a little candle experiment, which he thought was about the coolest damn thing ever and promptly did it over and over lol. Over the next few days I would ask him a question with the answer being carbon dioxide, he got it! Then several days later I found another quick experiment with a marshmallow..same thing, he got it. Even several days later I asked him again for an answer, he sorta forgot, I gave him a hint, then he got it! This never happens! He NEVER remembers.

So is it weird to just spend like 5-10 on quick snippet learning on subjects he hates or is not terribly interested in? I mean, I know he won't get the "in depth" learning that we all seek, BUT he's getting SOMETHING and that's better than nothing right?

Like I can't sit with him and go over what is involved in a cell for instance. He just will NOT remember, no matter how many times we do it. Maybe I should break it waaay down to it's most basic and only go over the different part one by one.

I myself and known to be the person who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff. My friends are always asking me questions. I can give them just enough info to make them happy lol.

So I'm thinking of changing up his required reading program (for kids with comprehension issues). Right now, he's at 30 minutes 3 times a week..which honestly is a LOT for him. Maybe I should break that up to like 12 minutes every day, with the hopes of increasing the amount of time as his comprehension (if it does) goes up?

Is so horrible to not know a subject super in depth? He excels in math, so I am kind of focusing on that and he will moving on the next grade in that in a month.

hmmm

TriciaJ
04-05-2013, 09:51 PM
I think the 'well rounded student' is nothing but a bad theory. I think knowing a little about alot and being able to focus on what you really love and are good at is the only way to be. Less is more:} I think we should all do this from the beginning. What is everyone waiting for??

RachelC
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Like I can't sit with him and go over what is involved in a cell for instance. He just will NOT remember, no matter how many times we do it. Maybe I should break it waaay down to it's most basic and only go over the different part one by one.

I myself and known to be the person who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff. My friends are always asking me questions. I can give them just enough info to make them happy lol.

So I'm thinking of changing up his required reading program (for kids with comprehension issues). Right now, he's at 30 minutes 3 times a week..which honestly is a LOT for him. Maybe I should break that up to like 12 minutes every day, with the hopes of increasing the amount of time as his comprehension (if it does) goes up?

It sounds to me like breaking a topic down into tiny parts and focuses on each part individually IS learning something really in-depth. Seems like he would end up knowing more about the topic that way, as long as you connected all the parts. This also sounds more like how we really learn things, like out of school (like Tricia said). When I learned how to cook, I learned skills and tips slowly, really only mastering one at a time, before I became proficient. If I try to learn several techniques and temperatures and best ways to do this all during one time, it backfires.

Same can be said for learning that is not as hands-on, more like what he is probably doing/having trouble with. I recently entered a new field of study. At first, there was a ton of info to learn/memorize and test on. I did well on the tests, but really understood and retained little, because it was all too much, too much new stuff. As I started to work in the field and had the chance to focus on one topic at a time, I became and expert in several areas, one by one.

I don't think I have really thought about it that way before, but what you are saying totally makes sense to me, as far as the way ppl really learn and retain. Sounds like a great plan! Please keep us posted!

summer94
04-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I just realized my post was rambly! (is that even a word! lol). Sorry! My brain was going WAAAY faster than my hands could type, more so than usual!

Anyways, thanks for the vote of confidence. I have found myself relaxing a LOT in the last month. To the point I'm wondering if he's getting "enough". I really just feel he's going to be a late bloomer when it comes to learning like I was, but when it clicked, it really clicked and I learned a lot. I find that if I'm more casual with it, vs ok let's learn about this, he gets it more. I kinda feel like I'm tricking him almost. Today I saw a super cool experiment about air pressure, fast and easy, so I said "OMG DUUUDE! I saw this awesome experiment" Then he perked up a little and I just was matter of fact started talking about heat expansion and cold condensing. He totally understands in the realm of a "this is just a casual conversation". Nothing formal, no sheets, no pictures, no video. The experiment didn't work, even after 3 tries, I screamed "whhyyyy won't you wooorrrrkkk" with my fists in the air and he just laughed at me lol. So we watched the video of it instead. He'll probably want to try again tomorrow. But then he says "is this my science?" hahaha. In other words, "am I done with school, I really want to play minecraft".

It's like I have fights with my own brain. One part of my brain is all "keep him on track with all the kids!", then the other side is "lady, lay off of him, he learns like you, don't expect him to learn it all geez".

Stupid internal conflict!