PDA

View Full Version : Favorite uses of ham?

farrarwilliams
03-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Other than just eating it, of course. Sandwiches... Ham and bean soup... Ham and cheese scones...

Please tell me I'm not the only person who will be eating leftover Easter ham all week. :)

Deli76
03-31-2013, 06:29 PM
ham and cheese scones? never heard of it. we will make ham salad, and eat lots of egg salad. but those are the only uses i know of.

wife&mommy
03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
My kids like it in mac n cheese, almost like a casserole. I've added peas before as well and they love it. I've made homemade navy beans with chunks of ham and the bone and then frozen those for later. Best beans ever! Other favorites are breakfast casserole, scalloped potatoes and ham, and you can't forget quiche! My kids like broccoli, potato & ham quiche so that is usually the one I do. :)

farrarwilliams
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Ooh, quiche. I might do that.

farrarwilliams
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Ham and cheese scones (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ham-cheese-scones-10000000351076/), by the way. I've also made ham and cheese biscuits, which if obviously similar.

dbmamaz
03-31-2013, 07:49 PM
soup - this is a rough description: boiled the ham bone in water with bay leaf and onion and a few carrots, then cut off the meat and boiled it more, added the potatos and celery and a little chicken bullion, and boiled some more, sauted the onion in the butter (well, i used oil) and added the flour and only 1 cup of milk because i had so much liquid, then removed the bones and added the milk stuff to the soup. Everyone loved the soup, which i served with rolls. A great use of an old bone, no cheese, everyone liked it, thanks!

actually i dont thicken it any more or add milk, i just use broth and water for the liquid and add a head of kale

Fried Rice
Cook Rice early in the day: (maybe less its a lot)
3 cups rice
4 c water
*boil together, lower to simmer, turn off after 20 minutes. Cool to room temp or in fridge

Prep:
In small bowl:

2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 T vegetable oil
2 T sesame oil

* beat well

In med bowl:
Dice 1 large or 2 small carrots
Dice head cabbage

In small bowl:
Dice about 1.5 c meat (we used ham)
Dice 4 scallions

Nuke to tepid 1 c peas

1. Preheat wok, add 1 Tb vegetable oil and get hot. Add eggs, cook lightly and remove
2. Add additional 2 Tb oil, throw in med bowl of veggies and cook 3-5 minutes. Add meat and scallions and cook 2-3 minutes. Add peas and begin to add rice, cup at a time. Heat well.
3. Sprinkle w soy sauce and black pepper.
4. Add eggs, heat well and serve.

farrarwilliams
03-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Ooh, nice. That's totally different from my ham soup recipe, Cara! And I've done ham fried rice before - I forgot that one.

MrsLOLcat
03-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Ham-stuffed baked potatoes - I can post a recipe if it sounds like something your family would eat.

wife&mommy
03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Ham-stuffed baked potatoes - I can post a recipe if it sounds like something your family would eat.
Oh that's a good idea. I'd like the recipe if she doesn't. :) Ham would also be good just as an additional topping for a baked potato bar. Yum.

MrsLOLcat
03-31-2013, 08:50 PM
No problem.

Ham-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
serves 4

4 large baking potatoes
1/2 c. minced onion
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 eggs
3 c. finely chopped cooked ham
1 tsp. mustard
1/2 c. grated Parmesan
Cream or milk (optional, to thin)
Salt and pepper to taste

Bake the potatoes once (I just use a microwave). Cut them in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Reserve shells. Mash the potatoes together with the onion, garlic, ham, mustard, and eggs. Season to taste. If the mixture is too dry, add the cream or milk. Scoop the mixture back into the potato shells (you'll have to pile it high). Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until heated through.

wife&mommy
03-31-2013, 09:32 PM
I thought of another one, Chicken Cordon Bleu. :)

dbmamaz
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
actually i wish we had more left. i made pasta salad the first day and we had sandwhiches once and there isnt that much left for the soup. yes, we had ham for dinner on thursday . . . whatever. its ham season lol

murphs_mom
03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Redneck ham n' beans, macaroni & cheese w/ham, scalloped or au gratin potatoes w/ham, omelettes, ham salad, pizza, BBQ ham, seasoning for green beans, & in pasta w/alfredo sauce.

Crabby Lioness
03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Other than just eating it, of course. Sandwiches... Ham and bean soup... Ham and cheese scones...

Please tell me I'm not the only person who will be eating leftover Easter ham all week. :)

Turkey breast for us. We're transitioning to a three-turkey/year family this year, with more in our future.

But we finished a ham just a few weeks ago. In addition to all the other uses mentioned, there's also quiches, casseroles, and pizza. Ham doesn't last very long in our fridge. It's more of a blink-and-you-miss-it dish.

Quiche, pizza, casseroles, soup, and sandwiches are the typical weekly lunch fare around here.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Frittata with ham, green beans, and fontina cheese (from Everyday Food)

Lentils with ham and rosemary (from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook)

Added to corn chowder (also from Not Your Mother's...)

Now I'm sorely tempted to go stand in front of my fridge and eat leftover ham right out of the ziplock bag. Nom, nom, nom.

Kimberlapoderosa
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I would love a recipe for home-made ham salad!

farrarwilliams
04-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Ooh, I want to try it in corn chowder.

Ham salad is one I won't do though. Not a fan.

dbmamaz
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
oh, yes, chowder sounds good!

MrsJadeDragon
04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Fried rice is my go to for using up ham -- especially good in kimchee fried rice if you like the stuff :) Also, budae jigae -- kimchee stew with ramen noodles, spam/ham, hot dogs, etc. :)

BakedAk
04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Doorstop. Seriously not a ham-fan. But some of these recipes are intriguing.

HappilyUprooted
02-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Ham and green beans! (http://poorpaleo.com/simple-ham-and-green-beans/) Simple, cheap and easy!

KiddyKat
07-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Ham and jelly sandwiches with toasted and buttered bread. YUM

Fairielover
07-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Scalloped potatoes.

murphs_mom
07-27-2014, 10:45 PM
S'mores 'n ham!

Kidding.

ikslo
07-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Forget eating the ham - have your kids become Foley artists and record what sounds they can make by slapping the ham against different objects, dropping it on the floor, blowing it up, etc. Then videotape them acting out a scene to go along with it. Throw in a quick history lesson of Foley artistry and Voila! a homeschool lesson is born...

It's a sickness. Really.

BerthaCardone
08-21-2014, 02:28 AM
NO, you are not only one who love to eat easter ham. I like easter ham with baby carrot. I also like city ham and country ham, which is soaked in brine and then either smoked or boiled.

bibiche
08-21-2014, 02:53 AM
NO, you are not only one who love to eat easter ham. I like easter ham with baby carrot. I also like city ham and country ham, which is soaked in brine and then either smoked or boiled.

Do you like SPAM as well as ham? ;)