PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Was Offended

paganmomblog
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I changed this post because I was contacted and some things are getting worked out. In light of the situation I want to make sure that a company isn't being "badmouthed" unfairly on my part. So I will let you all know what happens

StartingOver
07-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Dang and I missed the rant. Today has been a day for ranting, ranting all around. LOL I even did a bit myself.

paganmomblog
07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
LOL sometimes those "ranting" days are awesome. I will say in hindsight I think the person in question was just extremely clueless and didn't intend to actually offend me. I know they started investigating this morning and I am impatiently......err patiently waiting to hear back from the company. Once it's all said and done i will happily catch you all up to speed.

mommykicksbutt
07-06-2010, 09:46 AM
dang! I missed it Angela!

Melissa541
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm way too nosey not to be checkin' back in on this...

paganmomblog
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Well I am a little disappointed I haven't heard from them yet. I am going to give it another day or so. If nothing I will fill you all in and show you the comment that was left at my blogsite (can't see it now as I unapproved it so the company had time to address the situation).

paganmomblog
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Ok here is the update. I haven't heard anything from the company the guy repped.That bugs me but oh well, not much I can do about it. So I have his comment back up and my response. You can see it all here (http://thepaganmomblog.com/2010/07/05/retractable-fangs-and-a-roundup/) but I am going to just post the comments here so no one has to read the blog post if they don't want to.

The comment from the company representative:

Angel, What a contrarian you are!

Discussing halloween fangs on the 4th of July weekend!

Pointing out the reckless danger of fireworks! Never mind your list of oxymorons: domestic witch, modern pagan, secular homeschool, etc. Love it. Keep it up.

john

PS – Have you seen the oxymorons game on Vocabulary Learning Fun?
PPS – Thanks for the SpellingCity.com twitter tweet. Would you review Time4Learning.com?

And here is my response:

I had this comment up and I have to say that I found it a bit offensive. Sure, talking about halloween fangs is contrary to the “holiday” of the 4th. I talk about Halloween and Samhain all year long. But to basically spend alot of time calling me a walking oxymoron is seriously not cool. In hindsight, I honestly don’t think you meant to be offensive but at the same time, I would never walk up to a stranger or hit a new blog and spend time calling them a walking oxymoron. And really I am not sure how you are going to claim that Domestic Witch is an oxymoron. Redundant maybe, but not an oxymoron. I am assuming once again that you are just not aware of witches and what we do and how domesticated some of us really are. I am almost positive you have the imagery of Hollywood witches in your head and that isn’t exactly what real witches are. I can agree that the term Modern Pagan is an oxymoron. However, we use it to point out that we don’t practice exactly as our pagan ancestors once did (ie, blood sacrifices). Some choose to use the term neo-pagan but even then once again it’s a confusing terms to those who don’t know and understand paganism in this day and age.

Secular Homeschool is another word that is not an oxymoron but redundant. Homeschool is simply schooling at home. There is no requirement of religious curriculum associated with homeschooling, people choose to do so. I can also understand if someone assumed I was teaching my children pagan homeschooliing considering the nature of my blog, despite that not being fact. Secular Homeshcoolers label themselves as such so they can differentiate themselves from those that choose to homeschool religiously. We have to, because people make assumptions based on whatever biases they have been taught or grown up with. Or worse, assume everyone else does the same things they do for the same exact reason.

And after spending all that time calling me a walking oxymoron you choose to ask me to do a review of a website? Really? How exactly would you feel if someone showed up at your blog saying “LOL you are calling yourself a smart man! THAT is my FAVORITE oxymoron! Oh hey, would you mind reviewing my site?”? Think about that for just a second. Would you really be inclined to want to work with someone who just insulted you not to mention didn’t send you a personal email explaining why on earth you want the person you just insulted to do that review?

Furthermore, I was told that the company had been notified about this issue. At that time I expected some short and sweet “sorry, never meant to insult you. Didn’t mean it.” That was almost 3 days ago. I have had nothing. That says volumes about a company and whether they are worth my time. I am not looking to boycott or cause you financial hardship. But my time, money, and effort is valuable whether anyone else appreciates it or not. And it’s up to me to decide if someone is worthy of it. I would have happily reviewed the site had I gotten any sort of an apology. Since i didn’t, I am really not that interested. But thanks for stopping by!

SherryZoned
07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow dude totally insulted you! He should of had a sorry right quick. You handled that really well.

Marmalade
07-08-2010, 10:17 AM
***Standing up and applauding your reply!

paganmomblog
07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow dude totally insulted you! He should of had a sorry right quick. You handled that really well.

Thanks. There was a lot of breathing on my part as I got seriously passionate about my opinions. I spent a good 20 min writing my response and taking some stuff out that felt a little too "bashy".

schwartzkari
07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
He was extremely rude in his comment to you, my eyebrows raised when I read the "PS – Have you seen the oxymorons game on Vocabulary Learning Fun?"

I agree with Marmalade, I'm standing and applauding you right now! Your response was perfect and very well thought out!

StartingOver
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Gosh you were much nicer than I would have been !!! Kudo's.

hjdong
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Seriously? This isn't someone who hates the company? Not much of a selling point.

Riceball_Mommy
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Your response was great, very much so nicer than I would have been. He was very rude and insulting.

mommykicksbutt
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
What an ignoramus! The guy is totally clueless! My grandmother is a witch, she and her coven are the most domestic bunch of women anyone could ever met! They make their own homemade butter, cheese, soap, shampoo, lotions, perfume, candles, stained glass mirrors; grow and can their own fruits, vegetables; bake their own breads and dry their own meat jerkys. Not domestic, HA!

Modern homeschooling was a secular endevor until the laws changed in the 80's that made it difficult for a lot of church schools to remain open and the christian book sellers jumped on the idea of homeschooling and did a hard sell to the parents of the students of their former schools. These parents hijacked the bandwagon of homeschooling and veered it down the road of religion.

You were too nice in your response. I would have verbally given him the finger!

paganmomblog
07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Modern homeschooling was a secular endevor until the laws changed in the 80's that made it difficult for a lot of church schools to remain open and the christian book sellers jumped on the idea of homeschooling and did a hard sell to the parents of the students of their former schools. These parents hijacked the bandwagon of homeschooling and veered it down the road of religion.

I had no idea!

paganmomblog
07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone! I was hesitant about how you all would respond since I know a number of you use Time4learning (which also owns Spelling City). I have decided I really don't want to use Spelling City for the kids. I am pretty confident I can take care of their vocabulary needs without the site. It irritates me all over again because I joined Spelling City two days before he left that comment and I even tweeted about it for people on Twitter who homeschool. Lesson learned!

schwartzkari
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I had no idea!

Neither did I! That is really interesting, I always thought homeschooling started from a religious route and just branched off from there!

SunshineKris
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Neither did I! That is really interesting, I always thought homeschooling started from a religious route and just branched off from there!

Me either! But I guess, in thinking about it, it makes sense. Think back to the founding of our country. Were there public schools everywhere, or anywhere for that matter? Though universities were established, many students came from being schooled at home. That was the mom's job. Even in the ancient times. Yes, Plato and other scholars were there teaching new ways of thought, educating the population, it wasn't all formal. From my understanding (and I may be wrong) teachings happened in informal meetings, maybe formal meetings, but not the way we think of "school," even the formality of homeschooling.

Interesting how laws changed and the religious movement took over. Too many scholastic book publishers worried about going out of business?? Imagine if public school enrollment declined drastically. Think MacGraw Hill and Scholastic and the like would be worried? You bet they would be! (And I think one of our textbooks at Calvert come from one of the publishing companies.)

mommykicksbutt
07-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Indeed! I'm out of the country right now traveling so have limited internet interaction, however, once I return next month, if you all wish, I'll list the history of modern homeschooling - it wasn't a religious beginning.

paganmomblog
07-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Indeed! I'm out of the country right now traveling so have limited internet interaction, however, once I return next month, if you all wish, I'll list the history of modern homeschooling - it wasn't a religious beginning.

I would love to see it. No rush though lol. Enjoy your travels!

artmomz
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I know that this thread couple of months old, but I must say that my son doesn't like SpellingCity.com at all! And after reading this, now I'm glad we don't use it. (We use "Spelling Games" from this site, instead: http://www.kidwaresoftware.com/spell.htm We had to pay for it, but my son is completely addicted to the "Magic Hat" game that is included in the set. And while the software looks a bit dated, it has improved his spelling quite a bit.)

I would have been offended by that guy too...both as a Pagan/Witchy momma and as a Secular Homeschooler. What a wierdo he was...