PDA

View Full Version : Question for the writers/language arts buffs...

summer94
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
So my DS11 has serious reading comp issues. (just like me) He can read very well, spelling is ok, grammar is normal, knows all of his "mechanics" as far as punctation, captiolization etc, voacabulary is horrid, he is dysgraphic and has a working memory deficit and anxiety. HATES to write...anythinig really. Not just because his hands hurt, he doesn't like doing it by typing either, it's the actual "what to write" that he has the most issues with.

Now I see what 5th graders "should" be doing as far as writing goes and he is no where near that. Even when he went to ps he had this issue. He is in a constant state of "writers block". I get that. I hate writing also...really hate it. When I had to write newsletters for my business, I didn't write how most people write, I write like I'm having a convo with you. Which my clients happened to love.

So here's the question...I am right now only working on building his vocabulary and reading comprehension with special online programs for dyslexic/reading comp kids (neither of us can make that imaginary picture of what we're reading without a LOT of brain power, to exhaustion, making reading not that fun at all).

I wonder should I leave him be as far as writing now? If I set him up with a blog that he can put his thoughts down as he chooses (so not a formal "this is how you set up a story"). Is that enough for now? I talked to him about it, he's not super fond of writing, he wants to post flash games, lol, but then told him that other kids can "follow" him and he got a big ol' grin "really!?". he does like that he can do whatever he wants with it. So I think we'll start there very casually on down time so he doesn't feel pressured to write. But again, is it enough for now?

I have no doubt that he will never be a writer. He's a builder, designer...just not with words. But neither am I, never have been. I learned to adjust. And honestly, if I need something "formal" written there are people I can pay to do that! lol

I guess my thinking is that once he has a better vocabulary he'll be able to write more formally, for say like an essay. Right?

dbmamaz
03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
not an expert, but right now my ds 9 and i are working through LOE, which he really badly needs. For example, we did the phonogram augh this week . . .and he clearly struggled to read some of the augh words . . . he had to think hard about the phonogram and sound out the words.

we were doing more bravewriter before this, but for now, friday is still free write. he gets to think all week about what he wants to write. mostly he writes about games he wants to make. the other week he was doing scratch programming (which right now is friday's science) and he wrote some backstory for the game, and I told him that counted as his free write. i dont grade this at all, but i did make him proof-read the game backstory before he posted it to a scratch board.

i dont want it to be a fight, but i want to try to keep him working on it. i have no requirements as far as length, but he's able to come up with something once a week, esp since i remind him thursday evening and friday morning that its coming.

Stella M
03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I'd suggest oral narration instead of writing.
Maybe keep up with the mechanics of handwriting and/or typing.

OldFarmer
04-14-2013, 11:20 AM
I'd agree with Stella. I would probably try to encourage telling, telling, telling. As the process of manufacturing ideas verbally starts to gel, maybe the writing part will be less of an obstacle.

As a writer, I am just the opposite. I can't tell a story properly (IMO) without paper/laptop. Things just sound better when I write them. My arguments are stronger when I have the chance to write them, too. So I guess it might make sense, if writing is an obstacle instead of a help, to take it away and see how the words flow without.

Rather than type or write for him, record and play back, and maybe then encourage him to write from his own recordings.

And read, read, read.