PDA

View Full Version : So far I've learned...

TrenaLuna
03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
That I had NO CLUE what I was getting myself in to! lol
1. I've learned QUICKLY, that trying to get my children to do anything
that they do not like, causes nothing but stress!
2. My children DO NOT have the same learning styles.
3. Schedules DO NOT work for my kids.
4. DS hates math, but he loves fast fact sheets.
5. DD loves library trips and always has a book in her hands.
6. BOTH love ancient history.
7. My newborn does not like school. lol
8. We DO NOT have to do everything in the book!
9. Our original science curriculum was a big FLOP.
10. ebooks waste a TON of ink and paper!(duh)

Besides all of that, we love how it's going so far and are adopting a more relaxed approach.

Paula
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
What I've learned so far:

1. My son is fully capable of LEADING the day's "lessons." I don't always have to be "in charge."
2. Doing school while lacking a fun spirit sucks. A lot.
3. My son hates all the colorful, wordy math problems but squees if I hand him a black-and-white math sheet, time him, and test him ruthlessly. (who woulda thunk?)
4. My son learns things and picks up random words/facts/thoughts without my help.
5. I worry too much and need to just chill out sometimes.
6. Neither of us is cooperative if we're even the slightest bit hungry.
7. Learning (without all the tablework) is FUN!
8. Random days off (or days left for unschooling) are needed AND extremely beneficial.
9. Conversations in the car are just as important, if not more, as tablework lessons.
10. Homeschooling is more fulfilling, joyful and wonderful than I ever would have imagined, so long as I remember #1-9.

gypsylovecircus
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
What I've learned so far....

1. I can't keep a schedule to save my life
2. Sleeping in is good!
3. Everyday should start with tea and conversations
4. Jogging and tree climbing help wake your brain up
5. Fiction Books, Comic Books, and movies are GREAT sources for learning
6. Writing in books makes kids happy! (aka -Highlighters are fun!)
7. You are never too old for play time
8. Coffee shops, Playgrounds, and Libraries all make wonderful alt. classrooms.
9. Doing schoolwork in a moving winnebago isn't always advisable
10. No matter how tough a day can be, I will never regret taking the time to build strong relationships with my kids.

Homeschooling Rocks!

PS - Thanks TrenaLuna, this is fun.

WhatEverWorks
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
What I have learned:

We should have listened to all our family and done this years ago. They were right. There I said it.
My son will do just about anything if it’s hidden in science.
Humor is the best tool to get him to listen.
He can write just fine if it’s beautiful weather and his friends are waiting on him to finish school for the day.
I can actually teach something besides math and science.
Bribery works wonders.
Sleeping in most days is really nice.
I miss having the house to myself for a few hours a day, but not as much as I thought I would.
My son still thinks I know everything and is very surprised at how often we have to look up something.
The cat is super annoying, but a huge stress reliever and totally worth all the interruptions in exchange for the tears she’s stopped.

TrenaLuna
03-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Wow! I was just venting, but I love reading you guys responses! :)
We are only a month in right now.
I'm sure I will have more to add to this list around the end of April lol.

Tanuki
03-19-2013, 11:06 PM
1. I'm not as patient as I thought I was
2. I have been misunderstanding my dd9. She seems like a snobby brat, but she's really not at all. Bad mom! Badbad mom!
3. We hadn't been drinking enough before.
4. To think more outside the box. Furniture for the classroom that is easy to clean and inexpensive....hmmm. Costco foldable table and chairs are perfect for us! I'll never have to make my Katherine Janeway face again when the kids spill acrylic paint on the table.
5. spiral notebooks are MUCH better for us than other notebooks
6. it costs a lot more than I had figured it would.
7. our dd6 is in some ways more independent than our 2 older children. They tend to wait until I give them instructions on what to do next. Dd6, on the other hand, will bring her own materials from her basket (each kid has their own basket) and select which subject to do and when.
8. homeschooling takes up a lot of space.
9. it's a lot more fun and less stressful than I thought it would be

Tanuki
03-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Whateverworks, you're so right about cats! HUGE stress-relievers.

jenblackwell2
03-19-2013, 11:11 PM
What I've Learned So Far:

1) Schedules are not for us.
2) Breakfast at 10AM is ok.
3) My girls are scary smart.
4) My DH doesn't understand why I work so hard learning with them at home, but he completely supports me and glad to come on the ride.
5) Glitter and Glue are messy, but make everything better.
6) Even the most lame sensory bin can entertain for hours!
7) Edible craft projects, good!
8) Piles of books are awesome.
9) Just because worksheets bore me, doesn't mean my DD1 wouldn't enjoy them. Who da' thunk?!
10) You can make up a song for ANY task, and it is better if sung at the top of your lungs.

MichelleC
03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
So far I've learned (in the past year)...

1. I can teach math! (still in shock over this one)
2. I can't teach science (other than biology), but I'm married to someone who can.
3. Sitting on the couch together reading books and discussing them counts as school. There are fancy names for it that make it sound even more like school.
4. You can learn math without using math worksheets.
5. My daughter will do anything, if I ask if she'd rather do a math worksheet.
6. That we have previously undiagnosed special needs, and that some special needs are underdiagnosed in girls in schools.
7. That sometimes I need to get out of my daughter's way and let her learn, and that is still school.
8. That I can't tell my daughter she needs to write and learn and create and finish what she starts... unless I model writing, learning, creating, and finishing what I start.
9. That, contrary to what I thought when we started, homeschooling is nothing, nothing at all, like helping my daughter with her homework.

gypsylovecircus
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow! I was just venting, but I love reading you guys responses! :)
We are only a month in right now.
I'm sure I will have more to add to this list around the end of April lol.

Trena, Venting in such a positive manner leads to great things!!

quabbin
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
1.) If I don't supply enough for him to learn, my son will ask me questions, starting with multiplication facts before I've had coffee and going on to Why? and What if? all.day.long. Fine, we will do the kindergarten math books now.
2.) Might as well build in the time to go to the library twice a week if I'm going to enforce the one-bag rule. (See #1.)
3.) We have to start school with a song (guaranteed to lure him over to the school table) and end with the toys he'll want to keep playing with after our lessons (like the vowel tubs) if we're going to get everything done.
4.) Many people I love are Christians, but that doesn't mean I can be happy as part of a specifically Christian homeschooling group (as opposed to an inclusive group). Just not my cup of tea.
5.) I'm going to spend a lot of money on books and other materials. Fortunately my local bookstore extends the educators' discount to homeschoolers even without documentation and will ship things to me free if I can't get over there to pick them up.
6.) Non-homeschoolers who don't know I used to be a teacher get kind of quiet when DS or I say that we homeschool. (That's okay--I prefer quiet politeness to rudeness--but I didn't expect it.)

Mslksdh
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
What a great thread!
1. Un-schooling does not have to mean un-parenting.
2. Not sure why but others think I have unlimited free time because we home-school.
3. My home will never be as clean as my mom's was.
4. I CAN teach math & science!
5. Shopping can be an educational field trip. So can walking from the house to the car!
6. I don't need a ton of activities, curriculum or advanced planning.(Like when I was a teacher.)
7. Without monetary compensation I have no motivation to implement or enforce a schedule or routine of any kind.

And that is just what I have learned about me.

JinxieFox
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
What I've Learned So Far:

1. Keep on swimming, keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...
2. Documentaries are win.
3. It's easier to just smile and nod when people want to criticize.
4. My son is delightfully interdependent.
5. Science is much more fun now that I'm the teacher instead of the student.
6. A love of history and literature is not hereditary...
7. ...but that's OK, because I've learned to embrace my son's strengths (math and science), even if they are my weaknesses.
8. One's chosen homeschooling style does not need to be "all or nothing".
9. I love teaching.
10. My son can still surprise me with things he learns outside of our family school, and I love that.

WindSong
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Love this thread!
What I've learned so far:
1. My daughter doesn't do well with structure...
2. ...but my son does.
3. I don't need curriculum, at all.
4. Having a hs budget is a good thing, right?
5. I have too many books and resources. Less is more.
6. Letting them have days without formal lessons where they can just make and do to their hearts content is crucial.
7. Sometimes we just need to get outside! Take pictures, sketch, listen.
8. Non-homeschoolers are clueless about homeschoolers.
9. I will be elated if my kids choose to never go back to public school.
10. Through all of the ups and downs (and there have been many downs) we have experienced homeschooling, I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing right now.

Juno
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
1. Both my kids learn differently.
2. Starting the day on a fun note, reading something interesting and talking actually makes the rest of the day more productive and enjoyable.
3. My son enjoys math even more if we pretend that I am a bully that thinks he is stupid, then he surprises the bully.
4. I need to let my daughter just write when she is in mode and not correct her spelling and grammar until later it just stops the process for her.
5. I don't think A Well Trained Mind is for me.
6. I need to not compare my kids and house to other families.
7. Boys need wild time, wild sentences.
8. Let my kids do the guiding if it isn't working they will let me know.
9. My kids remember stuff I wouldn't have thought they would.
10. Don't complain to people who will make it worse.

Gummers
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm learning to let go. So many things I thought were important aren't. Grade level often doesn't matter, keeping pace with arbitrary standards doesn't matter. Its okay to miss a day and go out. Its okay to let them spend 3 hours drawing for a project. It doesn't all have to get done today. Relax and let go. Its not a race to the finish line or to a test... its about the journey.

crunchynerd
03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
...that I can't compare my son at 5, to how my daughter was at 5, nor can I forecast how my younger son will be at 5. They are so very different from one another, that I have learned to stop expecting that I can predict things ahead of time.
...that what style of homeschooling I think we are, is subject to change over time, and change dependent upon which kid we're talking about. Thank goodness we can just flex with the situation!
...that I can keep a clean house AND keep from-scratch food supplied, AND homeschool some, OR we can go out and about meeting people and going to things. But not both. Best solution is, have our house be the hang-out, and let friends come here.
...that my degree of patience is frightfully dependent on hormones, and heading into perimenopause when my daughter will be approaching puberty in a few years, has to be some sort of karmic debt payoff, so she and I have tried to agree ahead of time, to be kind to ourselves and each other, keeping in mind that we're probably fooling ourselves. Hey, at least we can try.
...that screen time is either evil, and I am a bad mom, or screen time is a practical necessity, and I am therefore resourceful.
...that a combination of getting 40ish and homeschooling, can pack on the pounds, and I need to go back to the dojo or something, and soon!
...and that I feel like the luckiest mother, and I feel like my kids are the luckiest kids, that we didn't just do what most everyone else does, and send them to the schools.

crunchynerd
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
....oh, and to Thank Heaven, for the girl next door, because she and my daughter have become very close, and because of her, we can actually look forward to a great summer for the kids, running back and forth to each other's houses, whereas without her, this neighborhood would be a social desert for my kids, and we'd be forced to go out a lot, just to keep a social life, and that is really, really hard to do, especially with food allergies.

Take2
03-20-2013, 06:56 PM
What a great thread! I really needed to read all of this to support our decision to homeschool again next year. We hs'd last year and I was in a constant battle with myself that the kids were not learning enough, that I was not structured enough, that they didn't "do" school long enough. Now that they are in public school I know that they DID learn a lot (much more than they are this year), that too much structure makes school a prison and there is a big difference between quantity of time in school vs quality of time spent learning. Thanks for the great lists!!

Patricia

crunchynerd
03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Dee, what was the deal with Well Trained Mind, and what were the problems with it? I like hearing real-life reasons why a curriculum was or wasn't a good fit.

1. Both my kids learn differently.
2. Starting the day on a fun note, reading something interesting and talking actually makes the rest of the day more productive and enjoyable.
3. My son enjoys math even more if we pretend that I am a bully that thinks he is stupid, then he surprises the bully.
4. I need to let my daughter just write when she is in mode and not correct her spelling and grammar until later it just stops the process for her.
5. I don't think A Well Trained Mind is for me.
6. I need to not compare my kids and house to other families.
7. Boys need wild time, wild sentences.
8. Let my kids do the guiding if it isn't working they will let me know.
9. My kids remember stuff I wouldn't have thought they would.
10. Don't complain to people who will make it worse.

Kimberlapoderosa
03-21-2013, 09:02 AM
So far I have learned:

1. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be!
2. I can homeschool and have a fairly clean house, but I cannot homeschool and try to start my own business and still have a even remotely clean house. (ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated!)
3. Reading about something or watching a video and then the boys going outside and including it in their play equals learning. Yesterday they asked if they could use some old cardboard to make shields. They are playing Athens vs. Sparta. :)
4. Hands on learning is way cooler than a boring worksheet even though it often means a messier house. (see number 1!)
5. I am extremely lucky woman to have a spouse who makes enough money that we are able to afford to have me home with the boys. I count my blessings every day even when the boys are fighting and I can't find a clean dish.
6. Most people who ask about our homeschool are really just curious about how it works.
7. I really need to cut myself some slack. Not sure how to do this one.

melissa
03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
1. I have nothing to prove to anyone. If my kid is happy and I know he's learning, it's all good.
2. I can not hold him back just because I think the subject is too complicated for him. He will ask over and over again until I show him how it is done.
3. I thought unschooling sounded kind of nuts until I nearly burned my son out on piles of worksheets every day. Now I know that the more I back off of him and let him do his own thing, the more he loves learning.
4. You don't have to have a college degree to know what is best for your child.
5. The moms (and a couple of dads)on this site are great for support and ideas!

Elphie
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
What I have learned so far:

- I should have started this when DS was 6 years old.
- Trying to balance HS one kid with 2 kids in PS is really hard.
- I actually really like learning about history!
- I still hate math and remember absolutely nothing about algebra despite getting an A in algebra in college.
- It is fun to discuss literature with my son.
- Now that we homeschool, I have the time to get to know and understand my son.
- I really LIKE who my son is.

farrarwilliams
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
This is a sweet thread, you guys.

What I've learned (that I can remember now), in no particular order...

1. It's okay to make a system, have it fall by the wayside, make a new system and continue that cycle ad infinitem
2. Copywork and dictation are surprisingly useful for teaching
3. It's hard to pick just one math curriculum when they're all so good
4. It's okay to have kids doing two different things
5. It's worth it to finish projects, even if it's a pain in the rear sometimes to sustain it
6. Science is the best subject ever
7. It's okay to use a scripted curriculum sometimes or even just a curriculum in general (when I taught school I always made everything from scratch!)
8. It's okay to curriculum window shop way too much
9. Stop comparing your kids to other kids (admittedly, I am still working on this one)
10. Patience and persistence, patience and persistence, patience and persistence...
11. Our co-op rules

JinxieFox
03-22-2013, 05:27 AM
So far I have learned:

1. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be!
2. I can homeschool and have a fairly clean house, but I cannot homeschool and try to start my own business and still have a even remotely clean house. (ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated!)

Kimberly, I use a schedule and To Do list to balance homeschooling, infant, housework, and work. There's even 30 minutes for me to shower and 30 minutes for me to read for pleasure each day.

My other solution? A 30-hour day.

Starkspack
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
My other solution? A 30-hour day.

Awesome! Where can I get some of these?? ;)

JLU
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
LOL all I can say is DITTO!

farrarwilliams
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
The Beatles told me you could have an 8th day in your week if only you have enough love... I'm still hoping for one of those.

Mum
03-22-2013, 02:20 PM
what a great thread!

2. Not sure why but others think i have unlimited free time because we home-school.

this to infinity!

Mum
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Random Order

* Most people are more open minded and supportive of HS than I expected.

* Homeschooler does not have to mean homemaker, housekeeper or any of the other additional, bullshit responsibilities expected of home educators.

* Talking in my quiet and calm voice accomplishes more than my loud, impatient, and exasperated voices.

* If I add "extra assignments" on the board (even though I have no intention of doing them with him) and then tell him he grasped the lesson so well that he doesn't have to do the "extra assignments" he feels more confident and thinks I'm awesome. SHHHHHHHH. This is our little secret.

* My kid loves biographies.

* My kid is extremely concerned about social justice and will filter every history and science lesson with this lens.

* There will never be enough beer or wine in the house on the worst homeschool days.

Stella M
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh yes to the housewife stuff Mum!

I don't really know what I've learned. I've filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge of history ?

I guess I've learned that habit is my friend. Except when it kills us with boredom.

Um.

You'd have though 11 years would be more instructive...

Batgirl
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
1. I fall in love with ideas way too much.
2. Kids aren't ready til they're ready.
3. Sometimes, public school is the best place to be.
4. Sometimes, home is.
5. Sometimes, you don't get to enter the halls o' learning by the front door. Sometimes you go in through the basement. Or the attic. Or by a trapdoor in the second bedroom. But once you've arrived, no one cares how you got there.
6. If you shut down your kids' love of learning, it's a net loss no matter how much they retain.
7. To homeschool a child with special needs effectively requires completely different skills than those required to work with the public schools effectively (that is assuming the ps can work effectively with you.)
8. Homeschooling is about relationships with your kids. Public schooling is about relationships with the staff.
9. Cooking and cleaning will pretty much always be at the bottom of my list.
10. Plans have to work for everybody.
11. Less is more.

TriciaJ
03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Even though I'm not full throttle yet....

Homeschooling is nothing like I initially thought
Letting the day 'flow' and having very vague expectations brings lots of pleasant surprises and opportunities to learn, controlling everything makes for a frustrating day
She's homeschooling and so am I, I've learned more in the past year than I have my entire life
My child teaches me valuable lessons daily
All you need is love....and to have your feelings validated
An ordinary day brings so many opportunities to learn that I can hardly believe it sometimes
All kids are brilliant and intelligent
Kids like choices and to be treated like people who matter
Mix it up