PDA

View Full Version : For those with a Roku

Busygoddess
07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I know I'm not the only one on here with a Roku. I got it so we could watch streaming TV & movies from Netflix. However, Roku has many other channels besides the Netflix channel. They have radio channels, NASA TV, audiobooks, college lectures, sports and more. Some you have to pay for, but there are many free channels. I just thought I'd mention this, so that those of you with a Roku aren't missing out on any of the other great channels they offer.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Are you serious??? See I am talking to the hubs about trying to get a Roku or Wii so we can ditch the cable and phone (we have cellphones) and keep our internet. Then use Netflix for tv and movies. So my next question is what level of Roku do you have? I saw the basic one was like $80 and then there are two other "upgrades" to choose from. I was thinking of getting the basic one as it is more affordable but would that include any channels?

I have been on the fence about Wii because I am the only person in the house who can walk away from a video game after an hour. My hubs is a hardcore gamer and I am always fighting with him to putting his phone down or walking away from his laptop. That is really the only reason we don't have a gaming system. We had one and I finally got rid of it much to the chagrin of my eldest and hubs.

Busygoddess
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
We went with the HDXR (the most expensive one). We figured it was only $30 more than the cheapest & was the highest quality they had (with HD & extended Wi-Fi range). You should be able to get the channels with any of them, though. They have Amazon Video on Demand, Pandora (internet radio), radiotime, mediafly, NASA TV, you can even access your photos on Facebook & Flickr. Some require you to sign up with a website in order to use the channel (i.e. Netflix). Some don't require you to sign up with a site, but doing so makes the experience better (i.e. mediafly). They have premium (pay) channels for movies - Kung-Fu Theater or Cowboy CLassics for $1.99 a month; classic sci-fi & horror from the 50s & 60s or movies & tv from the 30s-70s for $3 a year. We haven't checked out all the channels & have yet to do any of the premium ones (except Netflix). You can see what's offered, on the Roku website, just click on 'channel store'. It shows all the channel options, tells you if they're free or preium, and gives a short description of the channel.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank you! I love this idea and being able to pick and choose channels would be awesome. I will discuss it with hubs again this evening. I would much rather do this than do the Wii.

paganmomblog
07-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Yea I think I talked the hubs into it. It won't be any time right now but definetly making plans to get one. I have whined for years about how I wish we could just pick and pay for the channels we actually wanted. Our 200 channels would dwindle down to about 6. I had no idea that the chance to do that would be available.

SherryZoned
07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
This is interesting! I definitely hate the advertising and some of the Cartoon network shows are AWFUL! But the problem is. We do not pay for cable it comes with the rental so it is like i don't want to pay for something when i already have for something else.

I had no clue about this but this is so cool. We do have a Wii and may eventually get netflix streaming..

Sarbare0704
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
CAn you just pick and choose from any channels you want? Im confused LOL I was just looking at their site and I dont really see where there are normal tv channels. We already stream our netflix through the Wii . I am quite the avid tv watcher though and I was just wondering if this would be a better bang for the buck kind of thing.

Melissa541
07-04-2010, 04:40 PM
We just got rid of our cable. Today is day three & so far nobody's collapsed of boredom. :) I do miss my morning coffee with John Stewart & Stephen Colbert, but that hour isn't worth the $100 we're saving by ditching the cable. Yep, one hundred smackers a month. Outrageous.

We stream Netflix through our Xbox & the Wii. I will say that the quality of the picture is MUCH better on the Xbox. I believe Hulu will be coming to Xbox Live in early 2011, so that'll be awesome, too! I think it'll be around $10/month.

mommykicksbutt
07-04-2010, 08:28 PM
humm.... I'm going to have to look into this more. We live in Spain and only get AFN (Armed Forces Network) which totally sucks beyond belief. I've been living off of hulu for my TV desires. There is only one place to get videos in English here and their selection is dismal. hummm... Internet based should mean I can use it here as long as it don't sink my Spanish ip to the Spanish language only.

SunshineKris
07-05-2010, 02:54 AM
MKB, you can get Hulu? It wouldn't work here in Germany. Trying to figure out if Roku will work here too. I've never heard of it before.

Busygoddess
07-05-2010, 05:45 AM
You can't access regular TV channels with the Roku. You won't be able to use it to get Discovery or History, etc. If you visit the Roku site (http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#1), you can see the channels that are currently available with the Roku. These aren't regular TV channels - you won't find your cable channels listed. It does have some great options, but if you're looking to replace cable (and still get the channels & shows you like) this isn't what you're looking for.

Melissa541
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
We live in Spain and only get AFN (Armed Forces Network) which totally sucks beyond belief.

My dad did some contract work for the Army when I was younger, which took us to Germany for a year & we had access to AFN. We missed American TV so much that my grandmother would tape shows (namely, Beverly Hills 90210) & send them to us. My whole family would gather around the TV & watch not only the shows, but we'd really enjoy the commercials, too. Infact, I'd have to say that we looked forward to the ads more than the shows. :) I do have some fond memories of Quatum Leap on AFN, though...

Sarbare0704
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
No, you cannot access regular channels on it as of yet (I have heard rumors that they are working on it though). But that is of no issue to me, since I am not a TV watcher anyway. I do like a total of TWO shows on Fox and I can see those on Hulu when I have the chance. Otherwise, the Roku is enough for me.

Bummer! Well maybe soon enough! I watch way too much tv! But not all that many differant channels. So that would be cool if they had that option! I guess I will have to keep sending myself to the poor house with the stinking cost of having entertainment!

mommykicksbutt
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Kris, yeah, we can get just about everything via the Internet. Some of the social networking site don't work so well though. Facebook is fine but Myspace is only in Spanish. Hulu comes in great, my favorite! Also like TV.com.

jettyspagetti
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I love our Roku! Last year I tried really hard to comb through our dish network tv listings to have tv shows that matched with whatever unit we were on or would download lesson plans based on whatever learning show was on during a fun day of school at home. We got our Roku in March and love it! Especially for my son who loves to learn by watching documentaries and then following up with reading and activities- it meshed so well with our homeschool methods. Plus I am just not a tv watcher- I cannot stand to get involved in a weekly program and have to be in front of the tv at a certain time each week so I miss out on all those must see tv moments. Since we've had the roku I've been able to watch some of those shows I always thought I'd like. Dexter, the Tudors, and finally- Lost:)

The kids love the search feature and finding old black and white movies and stuff.

SherryZoned
07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Amazon's gold box deal for the day is a Roku player thingie. From 130 to `100! Just letting you all know.