PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Inventory?

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I am sort of stuck. I have accumulated quite a few books and resources. I have one small bookshelf (with only 3 shelves) and a closeted desk housing everything. I find myself constantly rooting through looking for stuff and even forgetting I have something useful. Do you all have some method for tracking your inventory and what not? I am not sure how to go about organizing it to make it all easy. And right now I want to make a list to make sure I can get anything else I might need (other than paper and a chalkboard eraser).

Oh and another question, I have a small kids chalkboard that stands on an easel. Part of it is difficult to write on and it's kinda scratched (we have had this thing forever). Anyway to treat it to make it easier to write on? If not the opposite side is a dry erase board so I can still use it.

SherryZoned
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
No clue! But I have thought of writing down what I have so if I catch a thrift store or something on clearance I can see if 1 I already have it or 2 do I need it..

What about chalkboard paint?

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
What about chalkboard paint?

Hm, maybe fill in the cracks with it? Or maybe repaint the whole thing? Huh, hadn't thought of that lol.

Busygoddess
07-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I second the chalkboard paint. We did a wall in each of the kids' rooms in chalkboard paint. It works wonderfully & has stood up fine over the years (I think it's been 3 or 4 years).

I have a few inventories. I use Homeschool Tracker, and use the resource list in that. I also have an Excel workbook organized by subject. I'm about to make an Access Database to have an easily searchable inventory of our homeschool supplies. Of course, that's just for homeschool supplies. I also have Access databases for our books, movies, educational movies, and need to make ones for the CDs and software.

SherryZoned
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I was thinking repaint the whole thing. Maybe you could fill in the cracks with something else then repaint the whole thing. I have n idea. I think I need me an easel, maybe fore christmas i can make it one of the kids presents LOL..I just can not afford one right now.

StartingOver
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I track book on hstracker... pay once and get upgrades forever. They have wonderful customer service too. We also use color coded stickers like Sonlight does, a color per year. I have tubs where I store books we are not ready for. Everything we are using is up on bookshelves.

As for the chalk board, wood filler should work. I would go by a hardware store and make sure though. I love the chalk board paint. We have tables and walls of chalk here, along with our easel.

ercswf
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok, for books (and we have a lot of them 2 6'x5' shelves full, 2 3'x4' full and I just went out and got another one) We use index cards that also sere as a way to keep track of who has what book for those that get loaned out. We store the index cards in a card file and have dividers for different types of books. (reference, parenting, religious, etc..)

For the chalk board I would say the others pretty much covered it.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I second the chalkboard paint. We did a wall in each of the kids' rooms in chalkboard paint. It works wonderfully & has stood up fine over the years (I think it's been 3 or 4 years).

I have a few inventories. I use Homeschool Tracker, and use the resource list in that. I also have an Excel workbook organized by subject. I'm about to make an Access Database to have an easily searchable inventory of our homeschool supplies. Of course, that's just for homeschool supplies. I also have Access databases for our books, movies, educational movies, and need to make ones for the CDs and software.

I like the idea of using Access to track everything. I may do that after I pencil down what all I have.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I track book on hstracker... pay once and get upgrades forever. They have wonderful customer service too. We also use color coded stickers like Sonlight does, a color per year. I have tubs where I store books we are not ready for. Everything we are using is up on bookshelves.

Oh now that is an excellent idea on storing what we aren't using just yet. I have space in the floor of the closeted desk that I can stack up tubs. Color coding I may use as well. Not sure yet lol.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
And thanks so far! I enjoy seeing the different ideas so keep them coming!

I will check with Lowe's on the chalkboard paint. I would like to use that for our "letter of the day" type thing I am thinking of doing.

InstinctiveMom
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Oh - the sticker color per year is an AWESOME idea!! I am going to implement that immediately!

I also use Homeschool Tracker (but the free version is plenty for me) and track books and resources there. I plan in 6 week increments and on a planning week, I open my book marks and pour over my bookshelves to see what I have and what I marked for future use - I also weed out what wasn't useful or didn't work. I find that doing so frequently helps eliminate that "Oh, I wanted to use that for that lesson!!!" regrets. It also is helping to keep down the number of resources I am storing.

We also advocate chalkboard paint! I used the spray kind, but I think the paint-on kind works better - thicker, better coverage it would seem. We have a wall in our school room painted with cb paint and it's held up for... 8 years?? I just touch up in frequently used spots every now and then.

StartingOver
07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh - the sticker color per year is an AWESOME idea!! I am going to implement that immediately!

I also use Homeschool Tracker (but the free version is plenty for me) and track books and resources there. I plan in 6 week increments and on a planning week, I open my book marks and pour over my bookshelves to see what I have and what I marked for future use - I also weed out what wasn't useful or didn't work. I find that doing so frequently helps eliminate that "Oh, I wanted to use that for that lesson!!!" regrets. It also is helping to keep down the number of resources I am storing.

We also advocate chalkboard paint! I used the spray kind, but I think the paint-on kind works better - thicker, better coverage it would seem. We have a wall in our school room painted with cb paint and it's held up for... 8 years?? I just touch up in frequently used spots every now and then.

Heather I love it, right now I have 3 years worth of books on my shelves. Emma is doing PreK 3-4 and some of PK 4-5, while Quince is doing K and some 1st. This way I can see from a glance which books go where. To further this just incase you want to do it... I take a piece of colored paper and write on it, or print it out on the computer. I always use a piece of laminate to cover the sticker or paper, as it lasts longer, if I don't laminate the whole book, which I do with paper backs a lot.

I use Purple for Pre K 3-4 and print out RA = read aloud, R = Readers, SC=Science, M=Math, LA = Language Arts, A= Art, L for Latin, & etc.... Pre K 4-5 is Orange, & etc.

When the kids are older they can find what they want faster. I love being able to just reach up and find what I want at a glance.

SherryZoned
07-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Ohh how expensive is laminate? I totally would love to laminate some books to use dry erase with~ alatexan! lamination..such a good idea. Do you just laminate the pages in the book or what do you do? please explain?

StartingOver
07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Ohh how expensive is laminate? I totally would love to laminate some books to use dry erase with~ alatexan! lamination..such a good idea. Do you just laminate the pages in the book or what do you do? please explain?

This can be a touchy subject....... copyright issues.

Well I am talking about readers for the kids. Mostly earlier books, but even some paperbacks later.Some companies allow you to make copies for your family, or for the individual child they were purchased for, some don't allow any copying in any form !!

I do not laminate workbooks....... I feel that workbooks are much cheaper than we paid years ago for hard back text books. So I will gladly purchase a copy for each child, as to not violate a companies copyright. But if the workbooks says that it can be copied for the whole family..... I sure wouldn't laminate it. That would be to expensive. I would use sheet protectors, there are some made now for dry erase.

If you are just wanting to laminate something like first readers, then I just use contact paper. Since I don't expect them to be read over and over and over again, by two children. LOL Contact paper at Walmart or Target is much cheaper.

For books that I we will read for years over and over, I use Library quality laminate. My SOTW, OPGTR, FLL, along with read alouds and some readers are laminated.

SherryZoned
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Ahhhh ok! My copying mentality is I don't sell it, it is for personal use so I am good LOLOL

I have never done laminating but may keep that in mind for a couple things!

schwartzkari
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM

As for the chalk board, wood filler should work. I would go by a hardware store and make sure though. I love the chalk board paint. We have tables and walls of chalk here, along with our easel.

We do the same thing around here, homeschool tracker ( I still use the free version) and then I color code everything and keep the extras in separate tubs that I picked up from Target.

laundrycrisis
07-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I am keeping track of all of our books in my Librarything account. I have them on shelves by subject, both IRL and at Librarything.

I also keep a Googledocs spreadsheet with logs of DS1's work, and a list of all the resources we use, including books, websites, computer programs, and anything else.

Bellanina
07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
If you are just wanting to laminate something like first readers, then I just use contact paper. Since I don't expect them to be read over and over and over again, by two children. LOL Contact paper at Walmart or Target is much cheaper.

For books that I we will read for years over and over, I use Library quality laminate. My SOTW, OPGTR, FLL, along with read alouds and some readers are laminated.

OK, so maybe it's because it's 6am on a Sunday morning, but I can't figure out how you laminate books? My laminating machine I purchased from WM only laminates single sheets up to 8x11 size. There's no way I could put a book through.

But I have used the clear contact paper before and would think that's an easier job for books. Where would I find your library-quality laminate? And is it used like the contact paper?

Thanks,

StartingOver
07-04-2010, 12:19 PM
http://reddicovers.com/products.html

I don't laminate book covers with heat.