PDA

View Full Version : What do I make to celebrate the 4th, you ask?, and you make?

pandahoneybee
07-02-2010, 07:51 AM

OK now I know that some of you are not in the US but I thought that I would share the cake I make every 4th of July. One because my boys love helping make the flag out of fruit and two because it tastes so damn GOOD! This would work for anywhere that likes jello,cake,cool whip and fruit together:oVery yummy even my picky son eats it! Now post what foods you like to make for the 4th or just for the summer.....

Jello Cake

1 package white or yellow cake mix (for two layers)
1 small package flavored gelatin, any flavor
4 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water (for the cake mix)
1 (12 oz.) container Cool Whip
1 cup water (for gelatin)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cake, according to package directions, using eggs, oil and water. Bake cake in a 13x9-inch pan for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for at least 15 minutes.
Poke holes across the entire surface of cake with a fork.
Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water. Pour the warm gelatin slowly over the surface of the cake (gelatin will soak into the cake). Place cake in the refrigerator and chill for about 4 hours.
Spread whipped topping on top of cake before serving. Refrigerate leftover cake. I go a step further and usually sliced strawberries to make a US flag on the top of the whip cream, Strawberries for the stripes and blueberries for the starshttp://time4learning.net/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

inmom
07-02-2010, 09:23 AM
We do something similar but less elaborate. We make simple cupcakes, frost them variously red, white, and blue. Then my daughter prints out tiny flags and attaches them to toothpicks and puts one in each cupcake.

schwartzkari
07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Usually I don't make anything special on the 4th except for cheeseburgers, lol. We take the kids to Sonic to get ice cream and then find a good spot to watch fireworks.
BUT, I might have to try your cake, that looks and sounds delicious. I think my daughter would really love it because she's a huge fan of strawberries and jello.
:)

pandahoneybee
07-02-2010, 03:43 PM
My oldest loves the strawberries the youngest loves the whole thing! win win for me. We don't do anything too special just B_que and simple stuff this is the most work related thing;)

Busygoddess
07-04-2010, 05:02 AM
We usually do a BBQ with family or friends, so I make whatever needs to be made. This year, we're getting together with some family, at a park for a picnic. So, I'm doing kabobs. I've got chicken & shrimp marinating in Thai peanut sauce, some marinating in Teriyaki sauce, and some chicken & beef that aren't marinating in anything.Then, of course, we've got veggies for the kabobs. I made a light shrimp pasta salad. Dea made an angel food cake with a pineapple & mandarin orange topping. We wanted to go with a light, healthier menu this year.

pandahoneybee
07-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Usually I don't make anything special on the 4th except for cheeseburgers, lol. We take the kids to Sonic to get ice cream and then find a good spot to watch fireworks.
BUT, I might have to try your cake, that looks and sounds delicious. I think my daughter would really love it because she's a huge fan of strawberries and jello.
:)
it is soo good. kinda of sounds weird with the jello in a cake but I guarantee if they like all the things that go into it they will love it;)

pandahoneybee
07-04-2010, 07:30 AM
We do something similar but less elaborate. We make simple cupcakes, frost them variously red, white, and blue. Then my daughter prints out tiny flags and attaches them to toothpicks and puts one in each cupcake.
ummmm i love cupcakes;) and i love the flag toothpicks, next year maybe the boys can make those!

pandahoneybee
07-04-2010, 07:31 AM
We usually do a BBQ with family or friends, so I make whatever needs to be made. This year, we're getting together with some family, at a park for a picnic. So, I'm doing kabobs. I've got chicken & shrimp marinating in Thai peanut sauce, some marinating in Teriyaki sauce, and some chicken & beef that aren't marinating in anything.Then, of course, we've got veggies for the kabobs. I made a light shrimp pasta salad. Dea made an angel food cake with a pineapple & mandarin orange topping. We wanted to go with a light, healthier menu this year.
ok so what time should i come over? that sounds much better than the hamburgers and hotdogs we are having!

hockeymom
07-04-2010, 08:21 AM
We'll go to the beach and have a BBQ. Grilled New England seafood "bake" (corn on the cob, cod, shrimp, and potatoes wrapped in foil and grilled), spicy cabbage salad, green beans, blueberry pie and homemade raspberry sorbet with fresh whipped cream.

paganmomblog
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
We don't usually make big plans for the 4th but yesterday hubs and his friend decided we were going to cook out. Talk about waiting until last minute! So we are going to have cheeseburgers, hotdogs,lemon pepper chicken, mac and cheese, baked beans, and chips & dip. His friend is a pyro so he is also bringing some fireworks over for us to set off when it gets dark. It should be a fab time, we enjoy cooking out and have yet to do it this year.