PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any children going to school while homeschooling others?

Jilly
07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I have been homeschooling since my twins were four, and this is the first year I am just not that excited about it. My daughter decided to go to public school last year, and she loved it. She will be going back in the fall, and this has been hard on me, and I think it is affecting how I feel about homeschooling. I find it is hard to have one in school and two at home. It is like we are in two separate worlds, and I feel as though I am still adjusting to having my daughter at school everyday. I miss her! :(

Even though I miss her, I see her growing more confident in herself and excelling in many different areas, and I wonder if her twin brother should be at school too. He does not want to go, and he is very happy being at home, but she has so many friends now that I feel a little sorry for him and his younger brother. The thing is her personality is very different from my sons, she is very out going and sociable, that I think even if my boys were in school they would not have the same experience as her.

Anyone deal with this? Do you find it hard to homeschool some children and have others in school. I think I am failing miserably at adjusting to this.

MamaB2C
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I cannot relate, I only have one kid, but I wanted to say I think that you are doing a great job. You took their wishes and individual personalities into account and everyone is happy it sounds like! What more could a mom do?

crazymama
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I have 4 kids.. oldest is 11 and came home after 1st grade. The next 2 are 5 and 4, then we have a little guy. My oldest was home for 3 1/2 years, we don't get along well, and I have a hard time accepting the "no effort attitude" he has, so in Feb. I lost it! I put him back in public school. He is doing OK there, not great, but he passed 5th grade with decent grades. I would love to bring him home next year because I feel something is missing, I hate having the school district dictate our schedule of life (like we can no longer take vacation in March without getting someone esle's permission). I hate some of the things he has come home having learned from his peers. I have spent the past week planning a trial run for him to see if we could make homeschooling work for us again, but my hubby is pretty sure he wants him to stay in public school. His reason is so oldest has friends, but really he doesn't have friends there, I think his reason is so oldest and I aren't fighting all the time.

I'm having a really hard time resigning myself to the fact that oldest probably won't be home next year, and feel like I may as well enroll my 5 yo in K and my 4yo in pre-k and be done with homeschooling all together. I KNOW it's not what is best for my kids, and I know it's not what is in my heart, but I too am having a hard time coming to grips with it... and my all or nothing personality is probably not helping me here..lol.

I know I have rambled a lot here, but hopefully you will find some comfort in knowing you are not alone.

Jilly
07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I cannot relate, I only have one kid, but I wanted to say I think that you are doing a great job. You took their wishes and individual personalities into account and everyone is happy it sounds like! What more could a mom do?

Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better. :)

I'm having a really hard time resigning myself to the fact that oldest probably won't be home next year, and feel like I may as well enroll my 5 yo in K and my 4yo in pre-k and be done with homeschooling all together.

This is exactly how I feel. I am glad I am not alone.

crazymama
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
It's really funny that you posted this today, I am really struggling today, even have that anxiety attack feeling going on inside...lol. I spent the morning thinking of things to make a list of for my oldest to pick from as electives, trying to get creative with the resources I have, only to tell hubby about my agenda and him to sweetly pop my bubble with his "it's up to you, but I really feel he should stay in public school". I tell him every time he tells me that that it makes me feel like he doesn't think I can do it, or that he feels they need the "socialization" or what ever and I should just put them all in.. but then I get the "The littles (what we call the 5 and 4 year olds) have each other" speech.

It's hard because I feel I should be planning for oldest, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time.

Why is this parenting thing so difficult?

Jilly
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
It's really funny that you posted this today, I am really struggling today.

It's hard because I feel I should be planning for oldest, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time.

I am struggling today too. I am resigned that my daughter is going to school, and she is happy, so I am happy for her. I am struggling more with what to do with her twin brother. They are so close, and I think her going to school has been hard for him (and me). I feel like maybe I should just enroll him too, but I know that is not the right decision for him, and he does not want to go. I guess I am just mourning the fact that they are growing older and starting to do their own things separate from each other.

I haven't even bought any curriculum for my oldest son for next year. I was going to put together our own history program, but I have not had any interest lately in planning for him. Maybe I should work on this, and then I will feel better about everything. I don't know. Today I just feel out of sorts.

crazymama
07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
You know, every time I think about the "I should just enroll the littles and be done", I think of how close they are. It would CRUSH the 4yo to send the 5yo out to school. He would be sooooo lost! They are a year and a day apart, and as close as two siblings could possibly be without being actual twins, so I know keeping them home and together is the best thing for them.. at least for now.

I have stuff for my oldest if he comes home, mostly because if I see something at a good price I buy it..lol and I do have general plans for every year so planning would only take a few hours. With the dream of bringing him home I'm scrounging to see what I could pull together to make life different if he were here... more unschoolingish type things and what not.

paganmomblog
07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Would anyone have issue if I link this particular thread in my blog post in the am? I am doing a post about unifying ps families with hs families and I want to show that not all hs families are primarily hs but do have children in ps as well. I don't want to link it if anyone is uncomfy with "strange eyes" peering in on the convo though. :)

Jilly
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Would anyone have issue if I link this particular thread in my blog post in the am? I am doing a post about unifying ps families with hs families and I want to show that not all hs families are primarily hs but do have children in ps as well. I don't want to link it if anyone is uncomfy with "strange eyes" peering in on the convo though. :)

I wouldn't mind if you linked this. Thanks for asking.

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't mind if you linked this. Thanks for asking.

No problem! I am hoping to show how different homeschooling families are and how some still use the public school system. Thanks!

paganmomblog
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok so apparently that failed!

Some chick read a blog post about why someone chose to homeschool and then spent time saying that parents who public school care as well, etc etc. She STILL missed the point with my blog post. I swear some people just want to be ticked off.

schwartzkari
07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Ok so apparently that failed!

Some chick read a blog post about why someone chose to homeschool and then spent time saying that parents who public school care as well, etc etc. She STILL missed the point with my blog post. I swear some people just want to be ticked off.

I agree with you, some people do just want to be ticked off. A few months ago, I shared a funny article about homeschooling on my Facebook page. I was extremely amused by it but apparently one of my mommy friends who sends her daughter to public school felt offended and used that same line "parents who public school care as well." The article I shared was humorus and never once "attacked" or belittled public school! I wish I could remember where I found the article...because it would be useful in this thread, darn it!

paganmomblog
07-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree with you, some people do just want to be ticked off. A few months ago, I shared a funny article about homeschooling on my Facebook page. I was extremely amused by it but apparently one of my mommy friends who sends her daughter to public school felt offended and used that same line "parents who public school care as well." The article I shared was humorus and never once "attacked" or belittled public school! I wish I could remember where I found the article...because it would be useful in this thread, darn it!

Ever since my eldest started PS I wanted to HS but was intimidated by it. Anytime I read something about HS I always would be "offended" but the reality was is that I was offended with myself. I just projected that onto the article I was reading. 10 times out of 10 my "offended" feelings were way off base. Maybe it's the same with that mom?

dottieanna29
07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
My oldest has always gone to public school. Homeschooling would never work for her - she is extremely social, thrives in the group classroom situation, learns well through the most common classroom methods. We'd also probably kill each other if we tried since things get tense if I try to spend 5 minutes helping her with homework.

My son on the other hand was getting in trouble in preschool. A large classroom would be no good for him for a variety of reasons - he hates loud noise, gets over excited in groups, doesn't sit still well.

Each child is an individual and has individual needs. Sometimes what is best for one is not what's best for the rest. Doing the right thing for each of your children is the best thing to do even if it means sending one to public school. JMO of course. :)