PDA

View Full Version : Have You Sent Your Child to Preschool and/or Kindergarten Before Homeschooling?

VictoriaCalvin
02-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Have you sent your child to preschool and/or kindergarten before officially homeschooling?

My husband and I have been discussing this as an option as we will begin PhD programs in the fall (we want a year or two to get settled and develop a routine, pass our qualifying exams and so forth). We've selected a private preschool and kinder program (which we've used before when our daughter was much younger), they offer Creative Curriculum with a Montessori set up. We've discussed starting official homeschool when our kiddo reaches first grade.

I am concerned about our little girl adjusting to schooling at home once she finishes preschool and kindergarten. My husband is not very concerned and feels that once we explain to our daughter that she will be schooled at home, she will be okay.

Has anyone experienced this? Thoughts?

hockeymom
02-25-2013, 06:40 AM
She'll be fine. Lots of us here pulled our kids out of school much later than that. :)

mpippin
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
(Pulled mine out for high school and fourth grade)

Actually, our school life has been in and out:

Bay: home for pre-k, school for k-1, home for 2-4, school for 5-8th, home for good
Tuna: home for pre-k and k, school for 1-3, home for good

They're rubbery, kids. They'll be fine.

Teri
02-25-2013, 08:55 AM
My 12 yo went to 2 years of preschool and 1 semester of kindergarten before we pulled him out. We had every intention of sending him to school.
My 11 yo wen to 1 1/2 years of preschool.
My youngest had one semester.
I kept the younger two in after I pulled Joseph out, but it got to be too much doing both. We loved our preschool though and I wanted all of them to have that opportunity.

MarkInMD
02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
We pulled one mid-2nd grade and the other after pre-K. Both have done fine with the adjustment, so I wouldn't worry much if I were you. In fact, it gives them something to compare to, at least on their level of understanding, and maybe, like our kids, your daughter will greatly prefer the freedom of homeschooling.

RTB
02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Both my kids went to preschool / daycare 2 days a week (I worked part time at the time). My ds went to PS before HS. He did fine adjusting to HS.

MrsLOLcat
02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I had one go to Prek/K and then come home; the other came home after first grade. Agree that they'll be fine :)

hockeymom
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I agree with Mark. In our case, having a couple of years of ps under his belt ensured that DS will very likely never want to go back! :) Of course some kids actually like ps, but it doesn't sound like yours will be indoctrinated for very long.

dbmamaz
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
dont let worries about 2 years from now steer you away from doing what is right for today. 2 years away is such an unknown with kids - worry about the future when it gets here. and really, the only thing that could be hard to adjust to would be if she loves her school so much she wants to stay . .. and if its that great a school and you an afford it, maybe that will be ok too.

Sionnon
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Both my boys attended preschool and K. We pulled the older going into middle school, and the younger in 3rd grade. I agree that having something to compare with made it easier for us.

LadyXDM
02-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Here's something that came to my mind right away (although, we are very new to homeschool stuff so I am by no means an expert on anything)... If your kids attend school for a little bit, they might be able to start homeschooling with some friends already from the neighborhood, even if you only see your 'still-schooling-friends' during afternoons or weekends. This might make the transition easier while you make some new homeschool 'day' friends after you leave public school. --Not to imply once you have day friends you ditch the weekend ones--LOL. Just more friends, overall :-)

Our challenge right now has been to find friends near our girl's ages since neither one has ever attended preschool or kinder and a lot of groups are far from us or are religious.

JenRay
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
My daughter went to a private preschool/Kindergarten 2 days/week for 2 years (although we were homeschooling simultaneously), and then came home for K. We have enrolled my son there starting in Sep, with the intention of 2 years for him as well, although everything might change over the course of those years. I am not looking forward to having to get everybody ready and out the door by a certain time again! Anyway, it wasn't a huge adjustment for my kid. Wasn't much of an adjustment at all for her, really. She liked preschool, and she likes homeschool. She would probably like school. But for now, the whole family is very happy with our choices.

quabbin
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
I sent DS to two years of 2-mornings-a-week preschool (at age 2.5 and 3.5) and I wouldn't say it did him any good. He didn't like it so much that he wanted to go back for another year, either.

VictoriaCalvin
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts everyone. I am sure our kiddo will be fine. I am the worry wart of the family. My baby girl adjust well to any situation. But like most parents, I always question my decisions. Husband on the other hand is not concerned at all! He looks forward to homeschooling our daughter when she hits 1st grade. I'm the one who needs to take a "chill pill"! LOL!

MarkInMD
02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
It's the worry of just about every homeschooling parent. You're going against the societal norm and taking on a big responsibility, so it seems like it should be more challenging than it actually winds up being. You'll see. You guys will be pros at this in no time.

Mum
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Preschool and Kindergarten can be really wonderful elements of your child's development. Generally speaking, teachers who chose to work with this age group are especially nurturing. Your kid has a great chance of experiencing a beautiful balance of nurture and independence that we're sometimes guilty of stifling at home. Self-included.

WhatEverWorks
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Preschool and Kindergarten can be really wonderful elements of your child's development. Generally speaking, teachers who chose to work with this age group are especially nurturing. Your kid has a great chance of experiencing a beautiful balance of nurture and independence that we're sometimes guilty of stifling at home. Self-included.

Totally agree. In my son’s case, he had some developmental issues that I would have never ever picked up on. All I knew is that for both our sakes, we needed a break a few days a week. His preschool teachers identified most of the issues we know about today. If we hadn’t started working with him that young, I shudder to think where he’d be today.

My daughter saw preschool as a super fun place. At that age, she found a love of learning that is still with her today.

My sister-in-laws both chose to start homeschooling instead of preschool. Their grown kids are all happy, successful, college graduates.

The point is that for most kids, put them with people who love nurturing, teaching, etc., and the kids will do fine – no matter if its mom and dad or someone else.

jujsky
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
We didn't do this, but our circumstances were different. Given your circumstances it makes perfect sense. I think she'll adjust fine once you pull her. Think of all the kids who go to school for years before they're pulled to homeschool who do well and love it.

Mum
02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
This thread is another example of why this forum is so fabulous, IMO.

People here *get* that everyone's circumstance is different. We don't have to all go about it the same way and we're supportive of whatever choices individuals make.

RachelC
02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
My son went to preschool for two years. Usually he didn't want to go, but then loved it when he was there and didn't want to leave. I think he was just into being contrary, and more comfortable with stasis than change/movement.

Anyway, I worried about this as well. And when we moved and it was time to homeschool with no more preschool, he was a bit upset- I want to go to a new school with friends! But I explained to him that he would now be in 'real school' and how it was different from the preschool setting he was used to. That helped. He was expecting to get to play, run around like crazy, go outside whenever he liked, interact casually with his teachers, etc. Shoot, if he could still do that, I would send him today!. Once he understood what awaited him in school now, he wasn't interested.

So I would suggest making a delineation right away between preschool and SCHOOL. I wish I would've done that, called it something else, like playschool. That way, maybe, they won't think they are missing out on that great, fun place when you start to homeschool (if they like preschool, that is).

Lianne13
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Here's our kids:

DD (10) - HS for prek, public for Kinder, HS for half of 1st grade and then was in public school for the last half of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and half of 4th.
DD (8) - HS for prek, then public for Kinder, 1st and half of 2nd grade.

We pulled them both out 1 1/2 weeks ago permanently. Although I sometimes think that I wish we had never put them in, I know they will never have that curiosity about "going to school." They both already say they never want to go back and are adjusting perfectly.

crunchynerd
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Whether you'll have to "deschool" her and to what degree, depends on the program.

My kids had two different experiences of the same program, because of new rules and regulations that had come down the pike since my daughter went, that were very restrictive. My son started hating it, and we didn't send him back for the 4 year old class the next year. We got the application in the mail, and they were asking a lot of intrusive questions, because of the new national longitudinal database tracking system in place for all school kids from preschool through age 20 or workforce entry whichever comes first.

Here's a fresh article on what's happening and why it matters to all of us: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/data-499062-schools-information.html

This probably belongs somewhere else on the site. Didn't mean to thread-hijack.

jenblackwell2
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
We did a traditional pre-school for two months before I decided to bring DD1 home. Although she loved seeing her friends everyday, it was totally exhausting for her. Schedules are not for us, so being at school at 8am when she wasn't used to being up before 8:30 was pretty hard. I thought she might get used to it, but I think there is something about wiring....

Any who one thing that made this transition more smooth for us was a regular play date with a couple of classmates she really clicked with. We did that for about a month and then the crazy winter holiday's hit and we have been good since... We still see our friends and have play dates but it isn't set up as regularly as it was before.

Deli76
03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Alot of us here have had our children start off in one type of school or another. My dd started in a homebased daycare (registered with the state ofcourse) While I finished school. Then while I did my internship she went to a Montessori school. I honestly would have kept her there but the tuition sky rocketed and we just could not afford it. :( I LOVED that school, so did she and hubby too lol. Then she started at the public school at the end of the block. That was a nightmare. After hubby was on board with home schooling after the 2nd grade nightmare, dd"s concern was missing her freinds, which is a valid concern. But after she realized that she would still see her freinds after school and on the weekends and meet more people at homeschool groups she was ok with it. She didnt really have any trouble adjusting. Its different for everyone. I wish you the best.

Lianne13
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I just read the article you linked to, wow now there is a reason to pull kids out if I ever saw one. BTW I love the mailman part in your sig.

Here's a fresh article on what's happening and why it matters to all of us: Data mining kids crosses line | data, schools, information - Opinion - The Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/data-499062-schools-information.html)

This probably belongs somewhere else on the site. Didn't mean to thread-hijack.