PDA

View Full Version : What's your Myers-Briggs type?-- Introverts only

Batgirl
02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
So, strictly in the spirit of fun, for all you introverts out there, what is your Myers-Briggs type?

For those who want to look beyond the superficial descriptions, www.personalityjunkie.com (http://www.personalityjunkie.com) is a good choice.

farrarwilliams
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I have changed over the years several times when I take it. I'm *always* IN... and then for a long time I was INFP. Then I was INFJ. Then I was INTF. Eh... I marked INFJ. The N is the only thing that's always constant for me. I'm never an S. I don't have many S's in my life either.

skrink
02-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I've changed a bunch, too. The I never changes, everything else is up for grabs. Have to say, though, this is the first time I've ever moved into the S category. I wonder how much your life partner affects this? Guess I should mention: ISFJ.

lakshmi
02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I am a hair into INFP .. I used to test as ENFP... but I guess I like to be alone more now.

murphs_mom
02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
I took the online version of the test a few years ago with great hopes of figuring out what new career path I should choose, where I should live, what flavor of ice cream I should order...in the end, I found that I fall into the INTP group which is only something like 2% of the whole population. So what did I learn? That I will never find a new career, I should stay in my current home, ice cream's a bad idea, that no one (especially other INTP's) will ever like me because I'm an INTP, and that I should just lie down in a mud puddle somewhere and wait for the buzzards to pick at my bones. A Ouija board may have been more effective. :-P

dbmamaz
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
i'm not entirely sure, but my daughter was obsessed with that thing for a couple of years, and she was sure i was intj. i'll take it.

MrsLOLcat
02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm INTJ, but it wavers back and forth on the 'N' part. I used to tend more strongly toward 'P,' but I'm becoming a crotchety old hag as I get older :p

bcnlvr
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
I am a strong I_TJ (like 60% or more for each). I score N/S about 50/50, depending on the weather. Today is S. :)

Batgirl
02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm an INFJ. I used to think I was INFP--went back and forth on the J-P thing, then learned the difference between introverted intuition and introverted feeling. I'm definitely more of an extroverted feeler, so introverted intuition it is.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-24-2013, 10:48 PM
INFJ here too.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I took the online version of the test a few years ago with great hopes of figuring out what new career path I should choose, where I should live, what flavor of ice cream I should order...in the end, I found that I fall into the INTP group which is only something like 2% of the whole population. So what did I learn? That I will never find a new career, I should stay in my current home, ice cream's a bad idea, that no one (especially other INTP's) will ever like me because I'm an INTP, and that I should just lie down in a mud puddle somewhere and wait for the buzzards to pick at my bones. A Ouija board may have been more effective. :-P

INTP Profile (http://typelogic.com/intp.html)

LOL, INTP doesn't sound that bad on this site.

wendygrace
02-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Currently I'm and INFP but the P is weak. I'm never an E. I'm sometimes an S or T. I'm about 50/50 on the J/P.

mpippin
02-25-2013, 04:22 AM
I test ISFJ but the description doesn't fit me. So I'm not sure where that leaves me. I'm an oddball, I guess.

Batgirl
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Did you try the personality junkie test? That one's better than a lot of them.

CatInTheSun
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm an introvert, ergo my MBTI is classified information. LOL

Stella M
02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Ooh, hello all you fellow INFJ's!!!

Gummers
02-26-2013, 01:27 AM

I just took the test on the linked site and INTP is what I got. I read the description and it doesn't sound that bad. :(

murphs_mom
02-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Much like a horoscope, a lot depends upon who's writing the schlock. :-) When I took the test eons ago, the site basically said that I fell into a really tiny percentage of the population, one that tends to be sooooo introverted, that one appears to be aloof/disconnected from the rest of the world. As a result, the INTP has few friends. The upside is that those friends tend to be uber tight. I'm also supposed to be so fantastic at math and logic that a career in something like architecture is ideal. Um, yeah, I'm stupendous at math...basic math. I can't do algebra to save my life. In the end, I just didn't put too much stock in the results. Like handwriting analysis, ijmo, it's good for a few chuckles but not much else. :-) VERY happy that there are brilliant, content, successful INTP's out there though!

mpippin
02-26-2013, 04:36 AM

That one makes more sense. I test INFP there. Thanks.

farrarwilliams
02-26-2013, 08:22 AM

I'd never done that one so I tried it. But it gave me INTP, which of all the various types of IN's is the type that when I read the description on various sites, I'm least like. I think I'm much more like INFP, INFJ, or INTJ. Also, it gave me no J points, but actually, I'm very J sometimes.

But it does depend who's writing the description. I mostly think it's silliness. Reading this stuff is like a funny sort of mirror... you see yourself in it or you don't...

CatInTheSun
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Introverts have a really tough time with MBTI tests, especially the popular psuedo versions of the test. The reason is that introverts have an inherent disconnect between who they are "in the world" and who they "really are" (in their inner world, which to an introvert is what really matters) and are AWARE of that disconnect. Introverts often struggle with the questions wondering if they should answer it based on what they would do in public, private, or what they WISH they would do...We tend to be aware that there is a difference between the self we put out in public display and who we are when we are relaxed alone.

For extroverts, the outer world is the "real one" and the one that matters to them, so they feel no conflict when answering the questions. They tend to be less aware of their "shadow selves".

The best book to learn about the types with the least amount of titillating pseudo-psychobabble of how fracked up or amazing you are based on your type would be to go to the source:

"Gifts Differing" by Isabel Briggs Myers.

IMO that's worth a read.

ETA: for example, Isabel gave the test to a class of incoming nursing and medical students, not to say "type X will become Drs and Y will not" but to track success in school and which specialties they later chose. We aren't born with a type, and it doesn't limit our options. It is just a snapshot of what skill sets we are most comfortable using.

purplecandle
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I find this test to be very accurate when gauging personalities. I had to do a college paper on this subject once...tested everyone I knew lol.

Personality test based on C. Jung and I. Briggs Myers type theory (http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp)

And these websites are great for type explanations
TypeLogic Home Page (http://typelogic.com/)

Keirsey Temperament Website - Overview of the Four Temperaments (http://keirsey.com/4temps/overview_temperaments.asp)

I am a rational mastermind.

MrsLOLcat
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, on the Keirsey one I get ISTJ; on the other I get INTJ. So meh. I_TJ. There. We'll go with that. (says she who must cross all t's and dot all i's).

Cafdog
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Sorry - Extrovert here. I'm ENFP - married to an ISTJ. We couldn't be more opposite if we tried.

murphs_mom
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Introverts have a really tough time with MBTI tests, especially the popular psuedo versions of the test. The reason is that introverts have an inherent disconnect between who they are "in the world" and who they "really are" (in their inner world, which to an introvert is what really matters) and are AWARE of that disconnect. Introverts often struggle with the questions wondering if they should answer it based on what they would do in public, private, or what they WISH they would do...We tend to be aware that there is a difference between the self we put out in public display and who we are when we are relaxed alone.

Good point. I think I have to agree with most of that. It's 'almost' my issue with the whole test thing. In my case, I don't think it's the quandry between my inner/outer self when answering, it's the if/then quandry. Often, the questions they give are SO generic that I can find myself answering different ways depending upon the specifics. In the end, I run through about 15 scenarios in my head, and then I choose the answer that I came up with most often. For example, eons ago (in my 20's), I had to take a pre-employment test. I apparently answered so many questions 'wrong' that the hiring manager phoned me to 'clarify' (he wanted to hire me, but his manager said my answers were too wrong) my responses. In every case he'd re-ask the test question and wait for me to give the 'correct' (in other words, the answer I didn't choose the first time) answer. And each time, I had to ask him to expand upon the question. The one that really messed him up was "I should always follow the directions of my department manager." I ended up answering 'no' and that boggled his mind. I explained that, yeah, the majority of the time I should follow directions, BUT if the manager (or anyone else for that matter) tells me to do something morally wrong or illegal (ex. turn a blind eye while he carries a box of merchandise out the back door), I just can't do it. In the end, I got the job. But precious few employers/hiring managers take the time to have candidates expand upon or explain test answers anymore. All that aside, I think tests like this (for me) end up being highly subjective because the questions are too vague and I can come up with far too many scenarios that lead to different answers. I'm nuts. I own it.

Batgirl
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I'd never done that one so I tried it. But it gave me INTP, which of all the various types of IN's is the type that when I read the description on various sites, I'm least like. I think I'm much more like INFP, INFJ, or INTJ. Also, it gave me no J points, but actually, I'm very J sometimes.

But it does depend who's writing the description. I mostly think it's silliness. Reading this stuff is like a funny sort of mirror... you see yourself in it or you don't...

Really? See, I was VERY surprised when you said INFJ, because I'd figured you for an INTP all along. With IPs, the judging function is dominant and internal. I thought you were an internal judger because you have such strong ideas about education and religion and a "P" because you seem really laid back about "external" stuff, like for example, messiness.

IJs are the opposite. They tend to like more structure outwardly but are inner Perceivers and are much slower to come to closure on what they think or believe. Also much faster to change their minds.

Anyhow, I love the Personality Junkie Site, because it goes much more in-depth and focuses on functions vs. just attributes like "introvert or extravert". Also, his descriptions are a lot less stereotyped. But, as in all things, I think Myers-Briggs is definitely a case of, "If the shoe fits....."

MarkInMD
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
INTJ. I bet a LOT of men fall into this category. :)

farrarwilliams
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Really? See, I was VERY surprised when you said INFJ, because I'd figured you for an INTP all along. With IPs, the judging function is dominant and internal. I thought you were an internal judger because you have such strong ideas about education and religion and a "P" because you seem really laid back about "external" stuff, like for example, messiness.

IJs are the opposite. They tend to like more structure outwardly but are inner Perceivers and are much slower to come to closure on what they think or believe. Also much faster to change their minds.

Anyhow, I love the Personality Junkie Site, because it goes much more in-depth and focuses on functions vs. just attributes like "introvert or extravert". Also, his descriptions are a lot less stereotyped. But, as in all things, I think Myers-Briggs is definitely a case of, "If the shoe fits....."

No, that is me. Huh. You're insightful. Well... I think that's me in my heart. Certainly that's how I was when I was younger and I was definitely an IP and I always tested INFP, though it was always close for everything except the N, where I never had any inclinations toward S. Once I started working with people who were just a big disorganized mess in every way, I became soooo much more about external structure and making structures that work. Messiness usually doesn't bother me... But messy structures and systems bother me a lot. So now I feel like one of my strengths is being able to see how to make a structure that will work - how to get a meeting to run well, or how to get a group to work together, or how to make the procedures in a class clear to everyone.

The thing that I think of my P vs. J side is that I very much need control of certain things. So, that meeting, that group, that class... I have a lot of trouble letting go and letting myself not just take everything over. But once I have control, I generally let go a lot. So, for example, when I teach, I'm a terrible team teacher and I always need to have everything all set up ahead of time, at least in my mind. But then in the classroom, once we begin, I'm happy to let go of nearly all of it with the students themselves and let things happen organically or be changed or whatever. So I'm very J with the structure or the school or the parents, but very P with the students or the kids.

This is all interesting.

CatInTheSun
02-27-2013, 01:27 AM
Good point. I think I have to agree with most of that. It's 'almost' my issue with the whole test thing. In my case, I don't think it's the quandry between my inner/outer self when answering, it's the if/then quandry. Often, the questions they give are SO generic that I can find myself answering different ways depending upon the specifics. In the end, I run through about 15 scenarios in my head, and then I choose the answer that I came up with most often.

I think that's symptomatic. LOL

In college I had a science teacher tell me I was the only student he'd had who could get every computation and analysis/essay question correct and yet get every.single. true/false question WRONG, saying I should have at least gotten 50%, but nope, I got 0% right. He actually threw out the entire true/false section of one of my midterm exams and recomputed my grade when I demonstrated how I could come up with some oddball situation which violated the "correct" answer for each question (so to me they were all "trick" questions, lol). You're not alone in nuttyville. ;)

Pefa
02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
ISTP here which doesn't mean a lot, since I can change a the drop of a hat. Once you've taken this once and are aware you can steer it in any direction. I think it shows tendencies or habits not set in stone traits.

Freshmen at B1's school took the myers brigg along with some other standardized pre pre pre SAT test. I don't remember his personality type because we were laughing too hard at a. his perfect score on the math and reading and the accompanying comment "you should do well on your pre-PSAT" and b. some career counseling advice (there had also been some kind of aptitude testing thrown in) that recommended office equipment repair as a career path. (Nothing wrong with that but it is so not B1 that all we could do was laugh.)

Jeni
02-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I got two different results from two different tests. One was ISTJ. The other was the test posted in the OP and I got INTP which I don't think sounds like me AT ALL. I picked the first one.

I: If you prefer introversion, you are energized by things within yourself. You don't need to be around other people to get inspired.

S: You use your five senses to help you decode information. You typically can't see patterns that emerge from individual details. (I'm not sure what this means...)

T: You are a very logical person who gives things a lot of thought. You aren't afraid to give criticism when necessary.

J: As someone whose preference is judging, you like order and structure. You bristle at plans being left up in the air.
(SO me! I am a judgmental, critical introvert.)

Mslksdh
02-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Okay I got ISFP
Introvert(11%) Sensing(1%) Feeling(38%) Perceiving(22)%

You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (11%)
You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

But some if the questions are really a matter of how one was raised. I was raised as a Navy brat. I am naturally paranoid. So the one about the room was odd to me. I sit to the side and usually with my back to a wall. But I can still be the "center" of what is going on.

crunchynerd
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM

A Ouija board is probably at least as effective...loved your writing, had me laughing for real, despite a head cold!

crunchynerd
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Much like a horoscope, a lot depends upon who's writing the schlock. :-) When I took the test eons ago, the site basically said that I fell into a really tiny percentage of the population, one that tends to be sooooo introverted, that one appears to be aloof/disconnected from the rest of the world. As a result, the INTP has few friends. The upside is that those friends tend to be uber tight. I'm also supposed to be so fantastic at math and logic that a career in something like architecture is ideal. Um, yeah, I'm stupendous at math...basic math. I can't do algebra to save my life. In the end, I just didn't put too much stock in the results. Like handwriting analysis, ijmo, it's good for a few chuckles but not much else. :-) VERY happy that there are brilliant, content, successful INTP's out there though!

I always got INTJ on that test, and that result, according to them, is also rare...but apparently all the rare types cluster here at secularhomeschool.com because just look at the INTJ's so many of us are!

Could be why I so often wonder why I can't meet more people in real life, like the ones I love to read posts from, here: perhaps all these rare birds really are rare in the general population, but become secular homeschoolers in extraordinary numbers? Why not?

Handwriting analysis is a funny one too. I wonder what they would make of my change in personality, from my diary entries when the baby was nursing at the same arm I was writing with, versus when his foot was kicking the writing arm? :_lol:

Batgirl
03-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Well, not too surprising!

1. Most of us choose to stay home with our kids.
2. Most of us have the gall to think we can actually give our kids a decent education ourselves.
3. An awful lot of hsers I've met irl don't use online forums. Of course, I've found that I spend a lot more time researching curriculum and education than these people.
6. INTJs and INFJs are the two most unconventional types. You have to be willing to swim against the mainstream to hs and many of the people on this forum speak of being surrounded by folks who don't share many values with them.

I will bet you anything that INTJ and INFJs are not nearly as well represented in places other than here and WTM, --the more religious hsing forms, but I don't know if I'm willing to take the time anywhere else to try to prove it.

CatInTheSun
03-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, not too surprising!

1. Most of us choose to stay home with our kids.
2. Most of us have the gall to think we can actually give our kids a decent education ourselves.
3. An awful lot of hsers I've met irl don't use online forums. Of course, I've found that I spend a lot more time researching curriculum and education than these people.
6. INTJs and INFJs are the two most unconventional types. You have to be willing to swim against the mainstream to hs and many of the people on this forum speak of being surrounded by folks who don't share many values with them.

I will bet you anything that INTJ and INFJs are not nearly as well represented in places other than here and WTM, --the more religious hsing forms, but I don't know if I'm willing to take the time anywhere else to try to prove it.

Interesting, but I don't think you can draw too many conclusions based on this poll (esp #6) -- seriously small number statistics going on, self-reporting and the fact that answering type meant making it public on the web, something I wasn't joking when I said is anathema to many introverts. (I won't name my type, tho if you have any understanding of MBTI should be fairly obvious).

OTOH I think you your intuitioin is correct -- there is likely a disparity between the types of the general population and those that select to hs, and further those that select to use forums as an outlet. I think given the different "vibe" between boards, I suspect you are also correct that there may be at least more introvert representation here than at the other forums, or at least some different ecology of type. ;)

It is nice to have so many introverts represented here, but extroverts have their uses too, such as helping all the introvert types to play nice. I guess they're good to have around, as well. LOL

Batgirl
03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Who's disrespecting? I already talked about how much I like extroverts on the introverts vs. extroverts thread, for exactly that reason.

Actually the polls conducted on the WTM forum showed a high percentage of INFJs and INTJs as well. I wasn't surprised as there are some extremely intellectual conversations over there on occasion . I didn't mean WTM. I meant places like homeschoolreviews.com, homeschool cafe (I think that's what it is.), possibly the Sonlight forums, the FIAR board. Those ones.

And I've also used your exact argument regarding poll size and self selection in a debate with crunchynerd. I think it was on the same thread. My point was that people who self-identified with IN_J characteristics, would be 1. more likely to homeschool 2. more likely to be secular 3. more likely to spend time online. I don't think you can draw any kind of huge conclusion from it because we are such a self-selected group, nor about the composition of the hs population at large (we are hardly representative of that here). But I do think it is fun!

CatInTheSun
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Who's disrespecting? I already talked about how much I like extroverts on the introverts vs. extroverts thread, for exactly that reason.

Oops, sorry. My post wasn't clear (I'll prolly edit to clarify in a moment) -- I wasn't at all meaning YOU were disrespecting extroverts. I was just being silly amongst all the introvert love of the whole thread and jokingly reminding us of the usefulness of the extrovert majority. One of those things that sometimes doesn't come across in text. :p

And yes, most of WTM is civil, just certain threads are cringeworthy, IMO. And yes, these polls are fun. LOL

crunchynerd
06-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Actually the polls conducted on the WTM forum showed a high percentage of INFJs and INTJs as well. I wasn't surprised as there are some extremely intellectual conversations over there on occasion . I didn't mean WTM. I meant places like homeschoolreviews.com, homeschool cafe (I think that's what it is.), possibly the Sonlight forums, the FIAR board. Those ones.

And I've also used your exact argument regarding poll size and self selection in a debate with crunchynerd. I think it was on the same thread. My point was that people who self-identified with IN_J characteristics, would be 1. more likely to homeschool 2. more likely to be secular 3. more likely to spend time online. I don't think you can draw any kind of huge conclusion from it because we are such a self-selected group, nor about the composition of the hs population at large (we are hardly representative of that here). But I do think it is fun!

Batgirl, and MrsLOLcat, Farrar, and everyone else whose debates and conversations keep me from going nuts from lack of people I can relate to irl: Thank you for being here! And I think even though MB is about as scientific as astrology (and perhaps even more fun!), it is a lovely thought to think that those of us who get a certain outcome from the test, do so because we do indeed have certain things in common that are rare in the general population.

And not only is this site teeming with smart, fascinating women who live richly in the realm of ideas, but most of them seem to understand the fundamental difference between an argument (as in, rational debate) and a fight.

Just so grateful for this place and the uber-smart and fascinating women here who make it a haven for the meeting of minds some of us can't easily get elsewhere. Thank you all!

murphs_mom
09-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Bumping the thread because of this 'report' (take with a grain): People With This Personality Type Are Most Likely to Be Unemployed (http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2015/08/03/personality-type-most-likely-unemployed/?SiteID=cbaolcompromotion_july_124&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-117119548)

I used to think that just being introverted would make a person more likely to be unemployed, but maybe not? According to these folks, it's more about being perceiving vs. introverted. Either way, I'm screwed. I'd like to more about the report...how big was their study, where was the study group from, which test did the study group take, etc.?

Does anyone with unemployment experience (IOW, your ass was canned) feel that their personality type was more of a factor than their actual job performance? Just curious. (And avoiding my kitchen...I'm not really in a cleaning mood.)

dragonfly
09-20-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm INFP, have been since the first time I took the test in my early 20's, and I think it's not about losing a job, it's about how difficult it is getting up the courage to go out and look for one. Interviews are hard. Also, maybe it's about employers not willing to give the introvert time to really settle into a job. I was always very quiet and meek for the first few weeks until I started to get to know the environment and feel comfortable.

TFZ
09-20-2015, 02:15 PM
I was fired once from a graphic design desk job. The owner was a big believer in personality tests. He mainly hired "mechanics" from whatever test he was giving, which I was one. Here I'm an ESTJ.

I guess you could attribute my unemployment to my personality. I was unhappy with the way the place was being run because it was inefficient and inconsistent. Even though I was one of the most productive on staff I was fired because of my "antics" - I think because I didn't want to go on a team building weekend, not get paid, and not have a day off which I made clear to my boss was unfair and taking time away from my family. It was the first time I spoke up against what they were doing. I feel generally bosses don't like that, haha. The other designers agreed with me but were just happy bitching about it all day and not saying anything.

Anyway, after the shock wore off I went back to school to get my teaching certification. Best thing that could have ever happened. I'm not cut out to sit at a desk for ten hours a day clicking away. I was good at it, but I hated it.

HawaiiGeek
09-20-2015, 06:59 PM
I am consistently an ENFP - I have developed organizational skills to survive in the world, but I prefer spontaneity. I have been very happy not working and I have never worked well in the medical world. My patients love me and I get my work done and am conscientious about labs etc because people's lives are in my hands, but I hated the world of medicine. Everyone in charge is anal and crazy and the rules have gotten insane. I just couldn't keep running the gauntlet AND doing the right thing for patients. I work per diem for Kaiser and I saw 32 patients in 9 hours last month. You just can't give people what they need at that volume. I really like teaching, but even that I don't think I would survive in the current teach to the test environment. At 44 what do you do when you already have a MD, but don't want to be a doctor?

Shoe
09-20-2015, 07:02 PM
I've taken it several times over the years, and have consistently been ISTP. The "I" is the only one that is consistently very strong; the others are only weakly prevalent.

murphs_mom
09-20-2015, 07:18 PM
At 44 what do you do when you already have a MD, but don't want to be a doctor?

My sister is (nearing 60y) is finishing her PhD in education (taught all grade levels for over 30y) and has just finished her Master's in nursing; she's a nursing instructor. She combined the two things she loves and is teaching the next generation of nurses. There's a high demand for nursing instructors, so the pay and benefits tend to be high. She also teaches high school science to incarcerated youth (kids in juvie) two days a week, and she's the charge nurse in a senior care facility on the weekends. Because she taught in a private Catholic school for so many years (with zero retirement benefits), she's scrambling to create a nest egg while she still can.

I know others who have studied law and gone into practice as medical lawyers, artists who focus on illustrating medical text books and study materials, and one medical professional who decided to open a string of group homes for younger people with challenges (autism, Downs, cerebral palsy, etc.). She purchases a large home with 4-5 bedrooms, has it remodeled to include additional baths, hires round-the-clock staff/aids, and does the required daily visit from a licensed medical professional herself.

Do your kids have any brilliant ideas? Littles always seem to have an opinion. :)

crunchynerd
09-20-2015, 09:25 PM
INTJ is the result I consistently get from that test (looks like a lot of us who voted got that, or else got INPJ) and looking at your link, that one isn't one that is high on the list for supposedly being linked to unemployment.

I did hold it out longer than most in one particularly crappy job that had a revolving door for my position due to a strong sense of honor on my part: I was one of the only ones who ever even gave notice before just quitting; most people who took that job walked out without a word, and didn't last very long. I trained something like 5 new hires to be my replacement, in a row, because none of them lasted. But that job did involve having the bosses from hell, who were married to each other and often gave contradicting orders. Ugh!

I did my best to go out on good terms. The female boss told me I had a job there any time I wanted to come back. I nodded and smiled and held my thoughts in my head, that I would rather dig ditches on the highway to hell, than go back to that job.

Have no idea what being an INTJ is supposed to do for one's ability or willingness to keep a job, though.

CrazyMom
09-20-2015, 11:21 PM
If I'd called a discount phone psychic....the reading would have been more accurate, coupon be damned. LOL:)

What if a mom and daughter team wrote a personality test....and mom was an agriculture teacher, and daughter was a political science major.....and neither of them ever really studied psychology?

There ya have it.

panama10
09-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I've taken this test twice in a span of 10 years for work related reasons. I'm a ISTJ. The only difference I've seen the two times I've taken it is the Introvert meter has moved closer to the middle as I've progressed in my career. I'm forced to be more on the extroverted side at work; but I still crave that quiet time to recharge my batteries

alexsmom
09-21-2015, 10:49 AM
I think its interesting how many INTJ /INFJ (myself included) there are. I wonder if its a typical representation of the population at large.

I dont see much woo in it, just another way to categorize or organize people. The site I took the test on had suggested careers - that was sort of silly but seemed harmless.

DS and I just did the Learning Styles assessment and I consider that the same sort of tool for giving insight into how we approach things differently. If it helps us figure out how to make schooling more palatable for him, then thats great.

Maela
09-21-2015, 06:18 PM
I voted INTJ, but then took the test again just now and it was INFP. I'm very strongly IN though.

TMMBBW
09-21-2015, 06:19 PM
ISTJ I've always been very consistent for the I and the J but the other 2 can change depending on my mood.

fastweedpuller
09-22-2015, 03:35 PM
INTJ and I never change. Hah!

I have, though, walked out of 2 jobs and been downsized once. But I am fairly amiable with work unless something is stupid and then I can't keep my opinion(s) to myself...because I am usually right, and generally it's because someone's forgotten some detail but I have not. The rest of my life? Yeah I can be wrong :D

My husband thinks I must be kind of a savant, memory-wise, with work shit. Hmm. Ok. I just thought it comes with the territory of "having a job," "being a good employee."

But: I have the same keychain since 1981. I just don't lose things. Is this related? Dunno!

HawaiiGeek
09-23-2015, 02:38 AM
murphs-mom - my mom got her phd at 58 in nursing and teaches nursing currently. How crazy is that? I have thought of teaching at a residency program, but must require full-time and I am not ready for that at this point in my life because I am really happy being home with the kids. We shall see, but thanks for answering my question. The fact that my DH is ISTJ may explain a lot about our marriage. I find it interesting to see what people are and then think about posts with discussions etc in the past. We are a fascinating bunch.

Diggerbee
09-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I just found a site called the Quiet Revolution that seems to be about families of introverts. Quiet Revolution: Unlocking the Power of Introverts (http://www.quietrev.com) I find that other, extroverted types sometimes just don't get us. They sometimes get offended when we all need to get away for a while and recharge quietly. It's nothing personal.

crazyme
09-23-2015, 05:16 PM
DH and I were both youngest kids - between the two of us we had maybe changed 3 diapers before we had DS. Read a book a long time ago that said two youngests would have lots of fun in life and lots of fun with kids, but might struggle to make sure kiddo bathes or gets chores done or other big adult responsible stuff. I'd say, for the most part, that's fairly true in our house.

That's great and so true! My husband and I are both the youngest (and I had almost NO experience with babies before having them!), and I'm the youngest of two youngests. Although, I have to say, my parents did a great job, even though they were REALLY the youngest (three and five siblings, their mothers were 40 & 41).

MNDad
09-24-2015, 09:28 AM
INTJ here.

Pretty skewed results here. Nearly 30% of respondents are INTJ but only 2-3% in general population. Fascinating. I wonder why that is?

In truth I've flipped a bit back and forth on S/N but mostly N.

Diggerbee
09-24-2015, 10:43 AM
It would make sense that IN(s) would be common to not just home schooling but to secular home schooling. It requires people who can work without supervision and be comfortable with those decisions even in the face of rejection or disapproval. Perhaps that sort of concentrates some IN profiles. It is also possible that in the case of the INFJ (The Advocate) that if people have done work in this field which I imagine many have, then perhaps personal experience could also make homeschooling more attractive to them than public school scenarios.

murphs_mom
09-24-2015, 07:48 PM
INTJ here.

Pretty skewed results here. Nearly 30% of respondents are INTJ but only 2-3% in general population. Fascinating. I wonder why that is?

Maybe because the thread had "for introverts only"? :) I've often wondered how many HSers are introverts...especially the secular sort.

Diggerbee
09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Guess its time to do a poll for extroverts next :)

MNDad
09-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Maybe because the thread had "for introverts only"? :) I've often wondered how many HSers are introverts...especially the secular sort.

:) true; so the expected frequency should be 4-6%... Oh well. But, to be a HS with a secular orientation, that's already an unrepresentative sample...

Soulhammer
09-28-2015, 05:09 AM
INTJ like most here, with 100% on the I. Hubs is an ESFP (the entertainer), which might explain why our fights and fun are pretty spectacular.

But you know, it takes all kinds. When I manage projects at work, I've noticed that the best teams have a mix of conscientious introverts and high emotional iq extroverts who help us rub along together. And although I am all I, I learned early on that you can't manage anything, esp. as a woman in the South, unless you shmooze and observe the social nicities. People are really quick to undermine you or call you "b***tch" or "aloof" if you do not.

Diggerbee
09-28-2015, 08:40 AM
You can't win, with an E or an I--either strong version of an introvert or an extrovert female are going to be "too" independent for some people's preconditioned tastes.

aspiecat
09-28-2015, 09:11 PM
I have NO idea what I am in accordance with the MB test. No doubt one of the introverted types as in every other personality test I've taken, I am HEAVILY introv!

Melyssa
10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
For the last 20 or more years, whenever I take these tests I am always in INFP.

alexsmom
12-20-2015, 11:34 PM
I added a poll for extroverts - because only polling the inroverts seems like it doesnt give the right impression of homeschoolers. Or maybe it does!
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/member-polls-and-surveys/17752-myers-briggs-extroverts.html