PDA

View Full Version : My plan for next year

Sarbare0704
06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
This is my plan so far for next year. This is for Lucy (age 4) I think she has a really good grasp on pre k skills so we are going to do kindergarten skills. I figure we will just work on each thing until she has it mastered and then go onto the next so some of this we may not get to and some of the subjects I may need to add to. She loves "doing school" though and I want to make sure I have enough things planned to keep her satisfied. I would love some feedback!! Do I have enough there? Too much? Am I covering the things she needs to know for K? Thanks!

Math
• Master writing numbers
• Counting by 5s and 10s
• Patterns
• Time
• Money
• Addition
• Subtraction
Social Studies
• Study of Kenosha possibly Wisconsin too
• Study of history of holidays ie: Thanksgiving, St. patty’s day, Presidents day etc.
• How other people (cultures) celebrate holidays
• Simple maps
• Common local jobs
Health
• Fire safety
• Stranger safety
• Emergency safety
Reading
• Work on ch, th, sh, oo, ee sounds
• Beginner readers
• Vocab words pulled from stories we’re reading
Language Arts
• Daily journal
• Spelling
Science
• Senses
• Seasons
• Animal homes
• Weather/ climates
Music
• Learn basic songs
Art
• Basic arts and crafts holiday, season, etc.

StartingOver
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I think that is great, the only things Quince worked on last year besides that was basic US geography & some place value. We also did the state flags, biords and flowers, not mastering but just recognizing them, at his request LOL. Strange child.

camaro
06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
If Lucy is an eager learner (as you seem to indicate) and picks up things without much trouble, your list is probably fine. If she can handle it, it would be hard to say it's "too much". Generally speaking I think it's more than required for a child in K to learn. Matthew and Michael start K level next year (though I think Matthew might be a little behind) and I think I'll be concentrating on the basics such as beginning reading and basic adding and subtracting. I won't worry too much about science and social studies at their age yet though they will certainly be looking over Mitchell's shoulder at times in those subjects. But my plans are based on my assessment of my kids skills and desire to learn. My kids are definitely not the "I want to do school!" type. :)

MamaB2C
06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I am roughly where you are with a 4yo, and we have already started K type work. Although all listed out like that, it looks like a TON, really it's all quite appropriate I think, especially for a student that loves to "do school".

So far I am only "formal instruction" with reading (The Reading Lesson, supplemented with Bob Books, Starfall, my own sight words list, and sound blends) and math (we use Math U See, just finishing up Primer and will start on Alpha soon)

We do everything else very opportunistically and freeform....and it works really well for us.

Starting in the Fall I will be adding a bit of structure to science, concentrating on scientific methodology (observation and description to start with) as well as hands on projects on a more regular basis.

StartingOver
06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
If Lucy is an eager learner (as you seem to indicate) and picks up things without much trouble, your list is probably fine. If she can handle it, it would be hard to say it's "too much". Generally speaking I think it's more than required for a child in K to learn. Matthew and Michael start K level next year (though I think Matthew might be a little behind) and I think I'll be concentrating on the basics such as beginning reading and basic adding and subtracting. I won't worry too much about science and social studies at their age yet though they will certainly be looking over Mitchell's shoulder at times in those subjects. But my plans are based on my assessment of my kids skills and desire to learn. My kids are definitely not the "I want to do school!" type. :)

I think boys are just different. Sometimes they are ready, sometimes not. I have always kept my boys interest based at their own pace till around 7. My oldest son had no interest at all in school till 6 and it was just learning to read. The other two started early,one hem was a non writer till after 6, I think Quince might be the same. So we do work orally. Only when they ask for school, in a very hands on playful way. With tons of reading.

My daughters are different, Emma thinks she is 4 already and can do everything her big brother can. She can do most of it. ;-)

paganmomblog
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Just a suggestion from what my girls' had to learn in K at ps, maybe learn your phone number and address. Course you may have thought of that in the fire safety and whatnot. Another thing my kids did on their own around 4-5 is pick up on directions. Whenever we drove anywhere they would start telling me which way to go to get home. I always started making it into a game whenever they started doing that. Including making wrong turns so they would learn from the mistake.

Sarbare0704
06-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Just a suggestion from what my girls' had to learn in K at ps, maybe learn your phone number and address. Course you may have thought of that in the fire safety and whatnot. Another thing my kids did on their own around 4-5 is pick up on directions. Whenever we drove anywhere they would start telling me which way to go to get home. I always started making it into a game whenever they started doing that. Including making wrong turns so they would learn from the mistake.

She pretty much has both our address and phone number down :)

Thanks everyone for your input!! It does kind of look like a lot but the only things I am really concerned in making sure we are working on are the reading and math type stuff. I know all the rest of it will be fun to her and I suspect we may end up doing more then I have planned out for things like the science and social studies because those are both the kind of things she is always asking a ton of questions about! I am completely prepared to go off on whatever whim she has with questions and what she wants to know more about so who knows maybe we wont get to all that stuff but a bunch of different things. I am very excited! So is she! We are working on a prepare for K work book right now and she loves it and is sad when the two pages of work a day are done! She will grab her clip board and a book and just copy all the words LOL She is a silly kid! Shes dieing to know how to read and is asking me how to spell everything!! So hopefully we can satisfy that to some extent this year!

camaro
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm so impressed with Lucy's attitude and skills that she's learned already. I guess like Jana says, sometimes boys are just different. If it's any comfort for me, though, I can rest assured that with all the practice my boys are getting with their Nerf guns we shall all be safe from any impending alien/zombie invasion.

StartingOver
06-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm so impressed with Lucy's attitude and skills that she's learned already. I guess like Jana says, sometimes boys are just different. If it's any comfort for me, though, I can rest assured that with all the practice my boys are getting with their Nerf guns we shall all be safe from any impending alien/zombie invasion.

Hehehehe !! My Corky is 20 and was my late bloomer, the would still keep up with your boys today. He joined the Navy because of his love of weapons hehehe.

Quince on the other hand will have to fight off the Aliens and Zombies with a book. He is a nerd with some hands on science - explosions thrown in.

Sarbare0704
06-30-2010, 07:10 PM

LOL! Well hey I am glad to hear that! I am not so sure of our zombie removal skills over here! Thanks! That is actually a big reason we are homeschooling is because she is so excited about learning and wants so bad to know more and more. I feel like if we waited another year before we sent her to K at PS she would be bored out of her mind! That would be like either asking her not to learn for a year or making her relearn things next year because the kid is dieing to know!

hockeymom
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
"I feel like if we waited another year before we sent her to K at PS she would be bored out of her mind! That would be like either asking her not to learn for a year or making her relearn things next year because the kid is dieing to know! "

That's exactly what happened to DS. Now I wish that he hadn't had to go to ps at all, but at least we brought him home before he lost his love of learning. I could see that in time his natural curiosity and excitement would be sucked out of him by an uninspiring and repetitive school experience. He would literally come home every afternoon and beg to learn something! We were amazed that his energy level and intensity returned to "normal" as soon as we took him out of school, and it's just been awesome ever since.

Have fun! :)

camaro
06-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Though it wasn't the primary reason we kept Mitchell home, a lack of enthusiasm for PS was certainly a not-insignificant secondary reason. When he'd get home from school we'd ask him what he did that day and he'd tell us he didn't remember. It seemed to be a rather uninspiring experience for him. At least with homeschooling I have the opportunity to let him learn things he cares about.

Shoe
06-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Don't forget to include the Zombie Survival Guide. (http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628)..I personally think it should be required reading for everyone. You never know when it might be needed!

paganmomblog
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Don't forget to include the Zombie Survival Guide. (http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628)..I personally think it should be required reading for everyone. You never know when it might be needed!

I need to get that for the eldest. She stole my "How To Survive A Horror Movie" book and now she is really into zombies. Might be helpful to have someone on hand who is well equipped to deal with a Zombie Apocalypse. Course for now we will stick with the Zombieland Rules.

Shoe
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I need to get that for the eldest. She stole my "How To Survive A Horror Movie" book and now she is really into zombies. Might be helpful to have someone on hand who is well equipped to deal with a Zombie Apocalypse. Course for now we will stick with the Zombieland Rules.

Don't forget the advice in Shaun of the Dead...heading to the nearest pub seems like a great idea to me!

StartingOver
06-30-2010, 10:41 PM

LMAOO I must get that !

paganmomblog
07-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't forget the advice in Shaun of the Dead...heading to the nearest pub seems like a great idea to me!

LOL she hasn't seen that one yet. I need to put it on the queue for her. She has a list 5 miles long of movies she wants to see and I am trying to ease her into the horror genre. She takes up too much space in our bed and I don't want her freaking out. Not that Shaun of the dead is scary lol, just there is so much for her to watch.