PDA

View Full Version : Adding whey powder to cookies

zette
02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I'd like to add whey powder to my oatmeal cookie recipe to pump up the amount of protein. Anybody have any idea on how much to use and how adjust the sugar and flour to compensate? The whey powder recipes I see online are for making things with no flour. My first try came out flavorless.

Sionnon
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd substitute it by taking out a couple tablespoons of flour, and adding the whey powder. This way the dry to wet ratio remains the same. You don't want to replace too much of the flour in a traditional recipe or it will cook different.

I used to make bread by adding 1 tablespoon each of soy flour, powdered milk and wheat germ in each cup of flour (and removing the corresponding amount of bread flour).

flock o geese
02-18-2013, 04:43 PM
i cannot give an exact measurement for substitution, as i cook like i watched my gradmother do it, and seldom measure out anything.. lol
but i get the flavored whey protein mixes (we generally get Body Fortress, because it is cheaper,this is not an endorsement)
And i add a couple scoops to countless things we cook, pancakes, cookies, cakes, etc.
of course we use the chocolate flavor the most but also use vanilla
when we are putting it in cakes, cookies or breads, we just add it to the mix, and maybe use a little less flour, but mostly just adding a couple of scoops hasnt changed how our food has turned out, and my kids still eat it, so it has to taste ok, because they are the most finicky eaters on the planet. (: