PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice; curricula

Yelenasmommy
02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Hello, I just wanted to post a quick inquiry about obtaining any curricula for pre-K, K from someone on this thread; I thought that asking would save me from having to search through every thread here. Thank you, your help would be much appreciated!;):D:)

farrarwilliams
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Do you mean obtaining as in how and where do you get a curricula? Or do you mean you want recommendations? If so, what do you want from a curricula? Do you want to buy one box with everything or do you want to buy different pieces? What sort of thing do you want?

Generally, people buy their curricula from the publisher, from Amazon, from homeschool sellers like Rainbow Resources or at conventions.

As for what to use, I would say having a curricula for PreK isn't necessary and having one for K probably isn't either. But there are some good resources out there - mainpulatives, games, etc.

Yelenasmommy
02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm beginning to discover this about Pre-k, k curricula. I appreciate the help and advice!! I was looking for something all inclusive, so as to be sure that I didn't miss anything that she needs to learn, but, she is a little on the developmental delay spectrum; I'm beginning to realize that she may not be able to grasp everything that the school board wants her to learn. I'm just going to keep it simple, and not fret about the big stuff! We're going to take it slow, reinforce learned skills, and introduce new ones when she's comfortable. Thank you again, so much!!

rueyn
02-14-2013, 01:19 PM
The best things I can recommend for pre-K/K are reading together, counting things like beans and flowers, gardening, nature walks, trips to local museums, and watching interesting documentaries :)

quabbin
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
My son just turned 5, so I'll give you an idea of where we are.

Each week, I have him practice writing one letter of the alphabet in salt, in chalk on an easel, and then finally in a Handwriting Without Tears (http://shopping.hwtears.com/product/MFSB/GSS) book. When we finish the letters, we'll do numbers.
He likes to use scissors, so we have also used Kumon cutting books (available on Amazon).

For reading readiness, I recommend the Amish Pathways (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=6&category=925) stuff. My son has started Before We Read and will eventually move on to Learning through Sounds 1 & 2. (You need the instruction book also: there are no directions in the student books.) They are inexpensive and require no preparation. My son does not like to write much, so I appreciate the fact that he can do most pages with a dot marker instead of by circling things with a pencil. He has enjoyed having me read chapter books aloud to him this year.

Most of his math so far has been counting things he likes. (How many strawberries did I give you? Now you've eaten some--how many did you eat? How many are left? How many more do you want?) Now he is ready to move on a bit, so I've picked up a Singapore workbook (Essential Math Kindergarten B, I think) and then we'll start with Miquon in kindergarten.

We are fortunate enough to live close to two science museums and have space for gardening, so we aren't doing a curriculum yet. We'll use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (http://pressforlearning.com/) for K and 1st.

I am not a boxed-curriculum person, but if you want some more links to what I am planning to use, I have it all listed and some things linked at White Hawk Academy: Curriculum and Materials (http://whitehawkacademy.blogspot.com/p/curriculum.html).

elvesandgiants
02-14-2013, 06:49 PM
I highly recommend the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp. It's an excellent guide to the standards for children at each level. My copy is dog-eared and battered. It's been indispensable for figuring out what I need to cover when.

LadyXDM
02-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I have two toddlers, 3 and 4, so we do everything together and I thought I'd let you know how we got started and what we do to see if it sparks anything for you. The only thing different with them is one reads while the other is learning her letters and one is doing really basic math problems on paper (but both girls like to use beads/blocks/laundry/anything to count, add and subtract) and the other isn't.

I checked out the kindergarden state standards for our state at the dept of education website. The states are all similar, though, since they all come from the national standards. Here is a link to AZ (http://www.azed.gov/standards-practices/). I did this to 'get an idea' but I don't check things off or stress it too much.

I searched homeschool mom websites on preschool/kindergarden workbox examples. Not so much to implement a workbox system but because there are GREAT hands-on ideas floating out there and I wanted to steal them :-) I'm not a creative thinker but I am an excellent 'borrower.' With all of my workbox ideas, I now have a ton of things lying around for us to play/learn. You'd be amazed what great ideas you will find and how many skills you can work on via fun little games with junk lying around your house.

We go to the library and check out beginning readers for the big girl and the books focused on individual letters for the little girl. Oh, and we check out about a billion other books each week or so...and we read them all...some of them many times. We talk about what is happening on the page, in the story, what do you think will happen next, you get the idea.

We play a lot on starfall.com and pbskids.org because they are fascinated with the computer.

We put together a lot of puzzles. Some they do alone (small puzzles) and we work on large 500-1000 piece ones together. They also have a tangram set they LOVE to use.

We play a lot of games. For a long time it was stuff like Candyland and Go Fish but just last week we made it through a game of Sequence so I'm hopeful we can play some more 'interesting to mommy' games soon. haha

Beads. I don't know what it is about beads but beads. We sort them, count them, make jewelry, I make patterns on string and they copy them, we find them when the container drops (haha)... My kids really like beads.

We watch documentaries on Netflix. My 4 year old loves dinosaurs. LOVES them.

Both girls love to have their special workbooks. I usually pick up cheap ones at the dollar store. It's nothing we do daily but sometimes they just want to curl up somewhere and practice things on their own. The older girl has numbers, reading etc. The little one has an alphabet workbook.

I know I could go on an on because every day is different with toddlers :-)

Back to the state standards thing....The last time I looked them over to see how we were doing compared to public school, we had covered everything for kindergarten in 5 months....and I wasn't even 'trying.' I think I read it best recently that kids do well with 'purposeful play.'

You can do this!