PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Recipes...

TriciaJ
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I know everyone eats differently nowadays...avoiding one thing or another. I always try to avoid processed sugar and artificial sweetners if I can. Or I try to substitute healthy ingredients for crappy ones. So here's a couple of my treat recipes that aren't as bad for you as the original recipe (for anyone who has a sugar addiction like myself):

No Bake Cookies:
I make a really small batch just for one person (ok, it would probably be for 2 people if you wanted to watch portions....), the upside is that it doesn't sit in my stomach like a rock, like the original recipe. They also don't really harden, as I just melt everything and eat it right out the pan like a heathen.
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup coconut milk (I use the light, from Trader Joe's)
2 tsp cocoa (add more or less to your taste)
splash of vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cup of honey (I'm not sure, I just squirt it in until its as sweet as I want it)
generous heaping TBSP of peanut butter
1 1/2 cups of oatmeal (I don't measure, just dump some in til it looks good)

Hot Cocoa:
saucepan full of milk
cocoa to taste
honey to taste
Its not bad with honey....pretty good actually. I heard honey and cocoa are good for you, so its just the milk that's naughty

Brownies:
I got this recipe from the Reader's Digest Diet....tweaked it some
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (Trader Joe's strikes again)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup flaxmeal
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 to 3/4 cup honey (however sweet you want it)
1/2 cup light colored olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2-3 TBSP peanut butter (optional, but peanut butter makes chocolate taste better IMO)
Bake 350, 9" square pan, greased, bake 15-18 minutes
Brownies crumble easy so try not to overcook, otherwise yummy

Banana Bread:
1 3/4 cup white wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
4-5 ripe bananas
1/2 cup light colored olive oil
2 eggs
Bake 350 for 55 minutes (or longer...til its done)

Anyone else have any good substitute recipes?

farrarwilliams
02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't really have substitute recipes, but my standard thing for baked goods is to sub half the flour for whole wheat and cut the butter by 1-2 tablespoons and it almost always has almost no effect on the taste. On the other hand, it's a pretty minor switch.

Stella M
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
What Farrar said, plus I always cut the sugar by a third. Oh, and I often sub rice bran oil for butter.

Pretty minor, yes.

KristinK
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I use butter or coconut oil in the place of all fats. and sometimes I add extra butter. I fully believe that saturated fats are actually GOOD for us, and many of the health problems out there relate to the low-fat-diet. I have been cutting the wheat flour in everything I bake, trying to edge us closer to a paleo diet, as I think wheat is a major culprit in many problems. But we're wheat addicts, so I'm taking the slow road - but I'll sub with quinoa flour or ground nut flours, or coconut flour, etc.
I have also cut out the refined sugars. I use honey, maple syrup, or sucanat when I can. I have organic "white" sugar for when I really feel like it's the only thing that will work well.

Paula
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Tricia, those recipes sound yummy, especially the hot cocoa. Mmmm...

I love honey as a sweetener substitute, but I'm also a fan of agave nectar if I need something really sweet. It tends to last longer in the cupboard than honey.

Sometimes I feel bad taking away so many things, so I try to add healthy things if I can: ground flax seeds in my oatmeal, and Grape Nuts, almonds, and fruit in my cereal, etc.

My FAVORITE good-for-you ice cream recipe is:

1-2 bananas, sliced and put in the freezer for a couple hours
1 tbs of peanut butter
Spices- cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Blend the partially frozen bananas in a blender, add a tablespoon (or more!) of peanut butter, add some spices to taste, and you will have amazing banana ice cream. I like it even without the PB, but my husband and son are PB addicts.

On a side note, KristinK, I love your children's names!

TriciaJ
02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Paula, I use agave too! I read that it has a lower glycemic index than honey..... but I do like the taste of honey a little better. I definitely want to try the ice cream! I love bananas and peanut butter together, and kinda like ice cream too:} That will be a great substitute in the summer because we tend to eat too much ice cream.

KristinK
02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I consider ice cream a healthy food :D We buy raw milk and get raw cream for ice cream making in the summer. Makes for an incredible treat, and has great health benefits :D I never feel guilty about eating a bowl. Homemade ice cream is SO much more satisfying too, and you eat less than you would store-bought...

TriciaJ
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I consider ice cream a healthy food :D We buy raw milk and get raw cream for ice cream making in the summer. Makes for an incredible treat, and has great health benefits :D I never feel guilty about eating a bowl. Homemade ice cream is SO much more satisfying too, and you eat less than you would store-bought...

Well.......damn I'd kill for some RAW milk ice cream! Raw milk is ILLEGAL here!! Isn't that crazy? The only way to get it is to 'lease a cow'....for about $80/year plus you have to buy a gallon of milk per week, to be picked up at very limited times during the week and the gallon is $9. Needless to say I can't afford it and work during the times of pickup. If I could make my own from raw milk there would be definite trouble.....

Stella M
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Ooh yeah, the frozen banana thing is awesome. I usually put frozen raspberries in as well. Yum!

Right now I am thinking about whether I could make iced chai. Which isn't so much of a substitution as an inversion.