PDA

View Full Version : How did I not know you existed until now?

Lolov
06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
:D

I'm thrilled to find this community! I'm Lo, living in Richmond, VA (a transplant from So Cal) and finding it tough to live in a place where religiosity is expected :/ I found you because I put out a call on my local HS list to start a SECULAR co op in this area (there are tons of religious ones, and one other secular one that I know of... but it's far away) and our initial meeting is today. I'm curious what they think "Secular" means as the general consensus around here seems to think it means "all religions welcome (even those "weird ones!")" So, wish me luck.

I'm looking forward to reading here and learning a lot :)

Lo

Bellanina
06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the site!

I'm Carla, and live in Saskatchewan, Canada. We just finished our first year of homeschooling our 3 sons. Mitchell (done grade 2) and twins Matthew & Michael (starting K this fall). It's been a challenge but a pleasure at the same time.

Topsy
06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Welcome, Lo!! As the admin, when I get the question "how did I not know you existed until now?" I answer..."Um...because obviously I'm not doing my job well enough!!" ;) But hey! If you get that group started, you can share the site with your new members and do the job FOR me!! ;) We do have a list of secular/inclusive support groups by state on our Resource Page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources), so if your group takes off, be sure to share a link to it with me so I can get it added.

Wishing you luck on your initial meeting!! Come back and let us know how it went!!

Sarbare0704
06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the group!

camaro
06-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Welcome, Lo! I agree it was both a surprise and a relief when I found this place. I hope you find it as welcoming and helpful as I did. :)

pandahoneybee
06-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Welcome Carla! You will see that we all are a little crazy up here but loveable;)

hockeymom
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you will find yourself right at home here! :)

inmom
06-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Welcome, Lo! This is far and away the best secular virtual group out here! You'll be glad you joined!

reversemigration
06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Welcome, Lo!

If you're looking for secular resources in Richmond, Cara (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/43-dbmamaz)could probably help - she's there also, and probably will chime in on this thread. Glad you're here!

salina1976
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi LO!!! I'm very new and still finding my way around the site myself. I not only live in the south (HHI, SC) but I was born and raised in the south. I am starting to get use to people looking at me like I have a second head.. but the third head that apparently pops up when I say we are secular... HAHAHA I'm still getting use to that one. I think I actually enjoy that look though.
We are just starting preschool, so we are feeling our way trhough the information that I find. Gook Luck in your journey!
Feel free to look us up on our blog if you want. www.therobbinszoo.blogspot.com (www.therobbinszoo.blogspot.com) I love meeting and talking to other parents of the same general mindset.

firefly
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Lo! I'm new here too & I LOVE it! I've been AFMC (away from my computer) for a week or so and my dd reached over, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Momma, you need to get back to your people!" She was right - I feel really at home here & hope you will as well!

Shoe
06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Welcome, Lo!! As the admin, when I get the question "how did I not know you existed until now?" I answer..."Um...because obviously I'm not doing my job well enough!!" ;) But hey! If you get that group started, you can share the site with your new members and do the job FOR me!! ;) We do have a list of secular/inclusive support groups by state on our Resource Page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources), so if your group takes off, be sure to share a link to it with me so I can get it added.

Wishing you luck on your initial meeting!! Come back and let us know how it went!!

With 841 members, many signed up in the last few months, I would say you are doing a fantastic job, Topsy!

And Lolov, welcome to the site! I hope you'll find it as informative and supportive as I have.

Cheers.

BeverlyM
07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I basically had to do the same thing you did with a co-op. My first year homeschooling was heading up a co-op that was "all inclusive" and just simply started asking people as they joined the group whether they were interested in a secular or christian environment under the ruse of "just so I can point you in the right direction if this is not what you are looking for " :) It worked really well and now I have my own secular yahoo group that derived from the original one. So good luck to you!

Lolov
07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

The initial meeting went well... then we had the (what I now realize was inevitable) few pipe up with "But I'm CHRISTIAN and how dare you expect me to not BE christian all over you.. who wants a REAL INCLUSIVE (meaning religious) coop?" I thik they thought "secular" meant we weren't teaching bible study, but all the prayers and other stuff were A-OK LOL... I got very hurt and upset (and vented to Cara, who was at the meeting THANKS CARA!!) but now realize that a) that was inevitable here and b) it was a GOOD thing because it weeded out the people who really don't comprehend that you don't have to blanket everyone with your christianity wherever you go :) I'm hoping there's a core group of a few people who really want and need a safe place to be secular here.

I'm very glad to have found you all :)

Lo

Lolov
07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
And oh, btw, Shoe.... I wear my VFF's every day :D LOVE THEM.

StartingOver
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
We are very glad you found us !

Shoe
07-16-2010, 06:08 PM
And oh, btw, Shoe.... I wear my VFF's every day :D LOVE THEM.

I love mine too - just did several runs on my vacation in them on country gravel roads - no cuts, no pain, just wonderful runs...I'm a definite convert to nearly barefoot running!