PDA

View Full Version : Physics

dbmamaz
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I am going crazy trying to figure out what I'm going to use to teach Orion physics next year. he'll be a senior. I'm HATING chemistry this year. its not set up for homeschooling and I have to plan out lessons and i keep putting it off and we're really behind. So i was thinking i wanted something easier . . but i'm not much finding it.

the national repository of online classes has a class, which looks like my best bet right now, but the book is $50 used. which we can handle, its just a lot imo

i was thinking of the kinetic books people until i realized its not a self-grading curriculum, its just an online textbook

i dont think he likes video classes, he does well reading.

someone suggested Saxon and it honestly looks more rigorous that what he's doing.

ck12 . . . i cant seem to really click with their stuff.

some website called the physics classroom? again, looks like a supplement, not a full high school program

dont want his first community college class to be something as hard as physics!!

we've already read Hakim

grrrr

dbmamaz
02-03-2013, 11:16 PM
mmm. and About | Don't Touch the Photons (http://donttouchthephotons.wordpress.com/about/)

Teri
02-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Joseph did Physics on Udacity last fall and really enjoyed it. https://www.udacity.com/course/ph100

What did you do for Biology?

dbmamaz
02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
for biology we got a very old copy of the Campbell book. the first half was 8th grade, we read it and i paired it with videos from discovery streaming. then in 10th grade he read the 2nd half and took a local dissection-only class.

That udacity thing looks cool though. Esp cuz it looks more independent, maybe?

Teri
02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
It was very independent. It has a video lecture (very high quality, on site in Europe by a guy that could be a character on Big Bang Theory), has problems, and gives you immediate feedback.

dbmamaz
02-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Teri, i think you just solved my problem!! woot! now i can get back to planning out this painful chemistry curriculum we are using (hmm, or switch halfway through the year to another audacity class lol) and worrying about my upcoming surgery and the sorry state of the house and the yard

inmom
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
some website called the physics classroom? again, looks like a supplement, not a full high school program

If you're talking about this, The Physics Classroom (http://www.physicsclassroom.com/), you are correct, it's not a stand-alone program. However, it's great to supplement what you might use.

I also use this, Physics - PhET Simulations (http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/physics), for those labs that I don't have equipment for at home. The simulations also come with a variety of lesson plans/worksheets/questions made by other teachers, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

dbmamaz
02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Right, except I dont want to 'reinvent the wheel' as far as the full program. I want something all put together for me - so NROC or udacity both fit that bill, and udacity is looking good! i dont do much 'add-on' stuff . . . Orion learns quickly and likes reading, so we usually just do textbook/workbook. he's really fine with that. I mean, he likes FUN experiments, like grade-school ones, but not hard stuff where he has to be careful and write things down lol. and i am NOT a teacher. i never wanted to be one. I'm just trying to get him in to community college.

technically he could graduate from high school without 4 years of science, but i'm kinda attached to him doing 4 years of all 4 subjects, esp since he doesnt have much as a passion. Just video games.

Teri
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Here is another one that the kids started last week. They are really enjoying this one also. It is about thinking scientifically and it involves a lot of physics. They really like the idea of creating their own Super Hero. ;)
https://www.coursera.org/course/scientificthinking

bcnlvr
02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Plato physics? It's on sale over at the HSBC.

dbmamaz
02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
yes, but why would i pay $55 for a class where i am tied down to a specific time every day when i could do the other for free whenever we want? besides, i dont need it until fall, so i cant buy it now - its a one-year subscription.

yocumdeb
02-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Have you looked at Oak Meadows high school science classes? I haven't used them yet, but I was looking at them as a possibility down the road. Also, I got this interesting e-mail today about a site called Educator.com. This month they are giving a free-trail month to any of their courses-I believe they are all math and science. You need to use the coupon code "february" to get the free trial. I know you said your son would rather read than watch videos, but it might be worth a look. Good luck!

dbmamaz
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
hmm, might be a change of plans. This kid loved biology - we've already done two years of it - but is HATING chemistry . . we're doing calculating weights of reagents in reactions right now. He started asking why he has to take physics .... he can do math, but its really hard for him and not fun at all. and physics is mostly math.

he . . .wants to do more biology. we've already spent 2 years going through a high school ap/non majors college and he never complained about that. he did complain about the dissection, but he got through it. so maybe instead we'll just skip the harder bits of chem this year, do a brief overview of physics, and do some advanced bio topics next year? i HATE biology lol

RachelC
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Does anyone with high schoolers have their kid take a class at the high school? I am far from that yet, but lab science is one I would really want to consider doing that way. I know some states/school districts allow it and some don't; just curious about anyone's experience. Chemistry and Physics are pretty dry without the lab experience, IMO. I really liked the labs though, especially Chem.

Teri
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Texas won't allow homeschool students to take courses at the public schools. So no, we haven't considered it here. Lab sciences are a challenge for homeschooled Texans.

dbmamaz
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
we arent allowed either. i did pay for a bio dissection lab through local mom.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Ok, I am not trying to be obtuse here, but why does he have to take physics and why now? He could take something else at the CC and then do the physics later. He has no interest and is liking biology so why not stick with that? Maybe I have misunderstood but I think I remember you saying that he is going to go to CC right and you are looking at some sort of computer vocational training? So why do you have to do physics at home? If he needs it he can take it later at CC.

dbmamaz
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
i just said i'll let the physics go, except a quick overview. so i did not say he needs physics. we already read story of science which introduces a lot of physics, and i'm talking about maybe a month of videos or something, nothing hard

Accidental Homeschooler
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Oops! Sorry Cara, I missed that last post. Maybe he would like botany or zoology or microbiology at the community college. I think it is cool that he likes biology. I kind of wish dd15 liked it more. But I think dd7 is going to be more interested in science.

dbmamaz
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I dont want him taking new content his first semester at community college, i want him to be learning his way around the process without having challenging content. but there are some great video courses, the free online college stuff . . . i'm thinking of having him choose an online video course, watch it, take notes (really a skill he needs to work on) and then choose a subject they covered and do a research paper on it.

i guess when i posted i was still toying with the idea . . so i wasnt specific about my intent.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I think I did not notice a page two. I recently decided not to ask dd15 to do physics. If I made her she would do it but she would hate every minute and if she needs it later she can take it then, so I was thinking about physics anyway. She is going to do some elective sciences and chemistry. I doubt she will end up interested in pursuing a STEM course of study in college. But if she changes her mind she can take it there.<br>
<br>

dbmamaz
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
so i was trying to find videos on youtube to help explain the chapters in the chemistry book and i finally had that ah-hah moment. This chemistry book i choose, from the singaporemath.com website . . . its just a study guide for the high school standardized exams in singapore. no WONDER its boring and hard. what a total fail. and its already february . .. (granted we did not do any science in november and december because of robotics)

i think i'll skip some chapters, look for more videos, and try to end early, bring in a few fun physics videos, do a chemistry kit over the summer with both boys, and call it a day. well, advanced bio next year. kinda humbling to realize i can fail that badly in my 4th year of homeschooling.

RachelC
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
For physics and chemistry at the higher levels, I think it best to familiarize with the basic tenants and ideas- laws on physics, relationships, periodic table, common elements, compounds, and maybe a little history of each if you are so inclined, but leave the calculations til college. Physics can be very interesting, and some simple at-home labs to explore the laws fun, if you leave it at that. Once you get very serious about it and include the math, many ppl get lost and frustrated and start to despise the entire subject. If your kid is familiar with and comfortable with the guiding principles in both of these, and doesn't develop an anxiety about and dislike of them in high school, then they will do better in both in college (as long as their math skills are decent) IMO.

Science is beautiful, but we rush it and that ruins it for most people. Most physics curricula/textbooks should be covered in about three years, as opposed to one. Once the learner is comfortable with all the ideas and laws, then they would be ready to start manipulating them (with the mathematics). But we don't do that. It's like teaching the alphabet on day one and expecting written spelling on day three.

That's why people tend to prefer biology- it is usually broken down into smaller areas and learned over years. And very little math ;)

inmom
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
If you want a mostly conceptual approach to physics (any math is strictly at the algebra I level), you might want to look into Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, then supplement it with fun labs. This is Hewitt's website: Welcome to Conceptual Physics! (http://conceptualphysics.com/index.html)

You can find older editions of his text on Abebooks for under $4, including shipping. Your library may also have a copy, if you want to see it before you purchase.

dbmamaz
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
we already read all of 'story of science' and it really covered a TON of physics. just no practice problems or experiments. but even mentioning to him the physics of rollercoasters does not interest him at all

Cynthia Williford
02-24-2013, 10:23 PM
I was looking for Pk language resources today and found a good free resource for Chemistry and Physics. Georgia PBS offers video lectures, problem sets, labs and activities. Chemistry & Physics (http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics). Just click on Video and Print Materials.

kimgoldman
03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Thinkwell - I'm a big fan of their courses.

Cynthia Williford
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
I love Thinkwell too, but their physics course requires calculus. :( I was looking again today for a physics course that was free/low-cost and had little math. I found this:
Professor Richard A. Muller. Physics for Future Presidents
The most interesting and important topics in physics, stressing conceptual understanding rather than math, with applications to current events (free)
Physics 10, 001 - Spring 2006 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL095393D5B42B2266&feature=plcp)