PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a high school credit?

mpippin
02-03-2013, 05:12 PM
If you're creating your own curriculum, how do you determine what counts as a credit? It seems like most electives are given half credit and most core classes are given one full credit. How do you decide this?

dbmamaz
02-03-2013, 07:40 PM
pretty sure there is an 'hours' conversion somewhere? but yeah, core classes are a credit and electives are half, i guess. But really, I"m thinking I'm just going to call it "9th grade english" and 10th grade english" etc . . . except maybe this year because we are doing a literature study of LOTR the whole year.

RachelC
02-03-2013, 08:06 PM
From http://www.hslda.org/highschool/docs/EvaluatingCredits.asp:

For courses that do not use a standard high school-level textbook (perhaps you are putting together your own unit study, or you are using an integrated curriculum), log the hours that your child spends completing the course work. One credit is approximately 120-180 hours of work. The upper end of this range (180 hours) is usually appropriate for lab science courses, while 150 hours is the average for a year long academic course such as English or History. Don't become legalistic in keeping track of each minute, but generally, when evaluating credit for an academic course, a good rule of thumb is 50 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 36 weeks, for a one-credit course.

Teri
02-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Here, 1/2 credit is a semester long course and a full credit would be a year long course.

Pefa
02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
FWIW, B1's hs is giving him half credits for all his college courses, because apparently they're electives.

I like Teri's explanation. Keeps it simple.

mpippin
02-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Thank you all.