PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the benefit/drawbacks to....

Gummers
01-30-2013, 12:54 AM
1. Story repetition? It makes my child bored to re-read a story multiple times. K12 really seems to push reading the same story 3-4 times, 3-4 days in a row, and I can't tell if they do this because they don't want to create material for a larger # of stories of if there is a benefit that I am unaware of. If it is just to improve comprehension, well, that is unneeded for us and I'd like to stop.

2. Doing all history or science one week? My oldest has approached me about doing an entire week of nothing but science. I am happy that she wants to do this, but I worry that such a deluge of information might mean a lot of it isn't absorbed. But I like that she wants to do it.

I am easing away from the tight scheduling and long days that k12 mandates and trying to be more flexible. But, I used to think copywork was a bit useless/unimportant until I read a bit about it in prep for next year... so I want to make sure I'm not changing the lessons for the worse in an effort to make things more enjoyable for everyone.

mpippin
01-30-2013, 01:06 AM
1. Five in a Row does that (thus the name). Basically, you're meant to delve deeper into the book each day. Have you ever reread a book and found something you don't remember from last time you read it? Same principle. Also, I think it ties in with the rest of language arts. You're meant to make connections each day. Kids generally do this on their own, insisting on being read the same story over and over again at bedtime, for example. I only do it on a requested basis, never forced repetitive reading. Many people do, though. I guess it depends on your child's and your own temperament. It would drive us nuts here, for the most part.

2. We don't do all science in one week, but we do separate days. Tues-Thurs history and Mon-Wed science. It affords us more time to dig deeper into those subjects, which we find fun. When you are devoting x-amount of time to a subject (we devote the afternoon. without time minimums or limits), you can branch out any-which-way you choose.

CatInTheSun
01-30-2013, 02:13 AM
1. As Michelle said, it's a method used by FIAR. SOme kids thrive on it. My kids, like yours, hated it with a fiery passion. IMO its usefulness depends on the child. Some kids really benefit from revisiting a story and others are tortured by it.

2. WHatever works. Some call it "chunking". Again, some kids like to flit lightly and need time in-between sessions to absorb. Others like to delve deeply and soak it all in. Why not try it? If you find they have trouble with retaining information, then change. In the early grades, it's not high risk.

Jeni
01-30-2013, 02:57 AM
I use K12 as well and I just ignore the repetition. I don't repeat the stories. I may ask some additional questions if needed, but that's about it. We read so much as it is besides literature. I can tell when she's getting it and when she's not. If she's struggling we reread it, if she's comprehending everything I let it go. The way I look at it, we'll likely do this again with ds and the books are always here if she'd like to read them. Someone pointed out rereading books as an adult, and I'm totally cool with her doing that if she wants, but I'm not going to make her do it with her lessons.

I actually did History the first semester and Science the second. At least that's how it's supposed to be. I'm actually still doing history but we're almost done. It was just too much to do it all every day.

rueyn
01-30-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't have experience with FIAR, but ds has had a week of science. When he asks for it, he pays attention more, and no, he won't remember every single thing, but the big ideas stick :)

farrarwilliams
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
1. Agree with Michelle. It *can* be a way to delve deeper each time. Yes, you understand the story on the first pass, but on the second, you appreciate the pictures, on the third you see the metaphors, on the fourth you notice it's like another story you read. And many younger children adore this and crave story repetition. That said, it's not the only way. Some kids don't want to watch the same episode of Blue's Clues fifty times in a row - my kids were the 3 yos complaining about too many reruns. And on the other end, Charlotte Mason talked about getting kids to really listen on the first time and not repeating yourself.

2. Sometimes spreading things out can help a kid remember because you're doing it incrementally. Sometimes creating an in depth experience can because you do more and it's more memorable. I think it's fine to do it however you want.

Mum
01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Calvert beat the story to death for my DS too. Sometimes his lit would go over the same story for 2 weeks and then make references to it for the next few weeks. It drove him crazy.

Teri
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
My kids HATED FIAR because of the story repetition. It was not a good fit for us.

I say 'go for it' on doing a week of science. I think that sounds like a lot of fun. We do unit studies here, so it wouldn't be unusual for something like that to happen. You will be amazed at the other subjects that will naturally enter when you approach a subject like that.