PDA

View Full Version : Confused about graduation requirements

mpippin
01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Our state of record, the state we report to for now, is Georgia. That will change if we get stationed in the US again, but for now, it's Georgia. I can't find their high school graduation requirements for homeschoolers. Do homeschoolers just follow the public school's definition of graduation requirements?

MrsLOLcat
01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Around here they do, yes, because homeschoolers don't have any requirements. So if I homeschool through high school, I would have to create a transcript showing that the same requirements have been met as PS. I didn't know other states did any different, to be honest :)

mpippin
01-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks. I didn't expect to be thrust into homeschooling through high school, so I am scrambling to get my act together. Bay's going to start high school level courses on Monday. We're going to try getting ahead and dual enrolling in a couple years. I just need to make sure we're covering what needs covering. Making it even harder is the fact that we will likely have a different home by the time she graduates, so our rules could change again.

bcnlvr
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
See question #18.

GHEA - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.ghea.org/pages/resources/tips.php#Transcript)

HTH

mpippin
01-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh, that's wonderful! Thank you for hunting that down for me. My Google-Fu is weak.

bcnlvr
01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I could scrub data for a living. "Internet Researcher" should be a job description. I would apply for such a job.

lol

Sherry
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks. I didn't expect to be thrust into homeschooling through high school, so I am scrambling to get my act together. Bay's going to start high school level courses on Monday. We're going to try getting ahead and dual enrolling in a couple years. I just need to make sure we're covering what needs covering. Making it even harder is the fact that we will likely have a different home by the time she graduates, so our rules could change again.

Look at what your current state requires, but also consider what she wants to do after graduation. If Georgia is anything like Ohio the stated requirements are the bare minimum. Students expecting to go on to college, a trade school, or even the military need more than the bare minimum. Look at the admission requirements for a few colleges to get an idea of what she should be covering in high school.

BarbaraH
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Michelle,
Would your child be attending college in Georgia?
If so, you'll want to look at the homeschool requirements for the HOPE scholarship and I'd also suggest looking at the homeschool requirements for the University of Georgia system. Because there is the HOPE money Georgia is a bit trickier than some states for homeschoolers who have unaccredited transcripts. Here's a link you may find to be helpful. https://secure.gacollege411.org/College_Planning/Prepare_for_College/Entrance_Requirements/USG_College_Entrance_Requirements/Freshman_Student/Unaccrediated_or_Home_School_Students.aspx