PDA

View Full Version : TS Alex is in the Gulf

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
If you live on the Gulf coast, you know that this thing could go anywhere LOL. So just in case I disappear for a few days or more, wanted to let you all know.We are currently on the Northern edge of the cone of uncertianty hehehe. But even 50 knot winds can take down power lines easily, and had even in fronts here.

The landlords are boarding up tomorrow, and we are laying in supplies just in case. We will be watching the storm closely here in the Corpus Christi area. But I don't want to run unless it becomes a monster. My sons asthma is better and we can use an aerosol inhaler now, ( normally we use a nebulizer but can't without power ), and Emma gets so carsick. So we will be staying here and hunkering down.

Anyone else in the projected path ? Or getting ready just in case of a shift??

Shoe
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Good luck and stay safe!

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Shoe, I really don't expect it to be much of a storm. But I have seen them sit in the Gulf for days and gain strength before heading in. Better safe than sorry !

paganmomblog
06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh crap, here we go! This was the one biggest complaint I have had about the oil spill outside of the ecological destruction.....the possibility of oil being thrust through the air on people. I hope it doesn't go anywhere near the spill and is pretty inactive. Stay safe!

BPier12
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
We aren't affected by this one, but this is our first year living in a hurricane zone and we are nervous about forecasts that are predicting a higher than normal occurence of storms. We are getting prepared with supplies, etc., and watching the weather like hawks. I hope Alex passes you by and that all stays calm for you!!

Snoopy
06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
If you live on the Gulf coast, you know that this thing could go anywhere LOL. So just in case I disappear for a few days or more, wanted to let you all know.We are currently on the Northern edge of the cone of uncertianty hehehe. But even 50 knot winds can take down power lines easily, and had even in fronts here.

The landlords are boarding up tomorrow, and we are laying in supplies just in case. We will be watching the storm closely here in the Corpus Christi area. But I don't want to run unless it becomes a monster. My sons asthma is better and we can use an aerosol inhaler now, ( normally we use a nebulizer but can't without power ), and Emma gets so carsick. So we will be staying here and hunkering down.

Anyone else in the projected path ? Or getting ready just in case of a shift??

Are you serious? I thought it was going to curve back toward Mexico... checking the path... oh crap! Stay safe, Jana!

hockeymom
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Stay safe and keep us posted as you can!

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks all. We laid in food, got the solar oven / stove supplies, and fill tank for the grill. Get charcoal and tons of water. We have ways to filter water, catch condensation, etc. We will be fine. Even if it turns huge at the last minute and is a direct hit, we have a hurricane shelter on the property ( the landlords ) but it can house 25 people, so we could all fit in with them LOL. Gathering can goods, and cleaning out the interior closet. Have a twin mattress in there, and a crib mattress to put over us. We are well prepared with emergency kits, oil lamps, flash lights etc.

I would hate to lose electric but we do have the pool filled, unless it some how blows away. Still the water is just about 1/8th of a mile away, so we can stay cool LOL. All will be well, just didn't want anyone to wonder where we are. The storm bands are supposed to start coming here tomorrow. Depending on the weather I may not be online. Will get back as soon as I can to let you all know how we are.

pandahoneybee
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Hope that you all stay safe! the only hurricane that we have ever been thru was Andrew in FL, can't remember the year but do remember sleeping in the closet!

Fiddler
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Jana, thinking of you and sending positive vibes that all is well with your family.

MamaB2C
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow you are way more prepared than I have ever been, even when we stayed for Katrina!

You will be fine! The no power possibility is never fun, but your plan is rock solid.

hjdong
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Good luck!

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow you are way more prepared than I have ever been, even when we stayed for Katrina!

You will be fine! The no power possibility is never fun, but your plan is rock solid.

Oh goodness !! Katrina was rough. I have never left for a hurricane till the past few years with Quince. Now he is stable enough, I am not running again. Emma gets so carsick, the last time we went to Austin she was sick the whole way. I will take my chances here LOL. Which are really good, since we are prepared.

Was your Katrina experiece really bad ?? Oh I wanted to go to New Orleans, I love it so, but I could not have helped at the time. Pre little-kids, I would have been one of the first responders.

mommykicksbutt
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you there!

MamaB2C
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
We got sideswiped pretty hard, flooding in low lying areas (including the cottage we were renting at the time, as our house was still under construction) and no power for several days. We just all holed up at my mom's high and dry and ran the generator a bit.

We responded into Gulfport within the first 3-4 days or so, a web-friend is a police officer there, and let me know they needed bleach and mops and stuff to keep the mold at bay because people were getting sick. It was really, really horrible seeing the utter destruction. We couldn't get to New Orleans from here really, we barely got into Mississippi. The roads were a mess, and gas was really hard to find for about 10 days.

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 05:59 PM
You were very lucky, my niece and her husband were in Gulfport at the time, in the Navy so not so bad on them. But many they knew lost everything. Her husband was sent to NO, and she stayed in Gulfport.

Snoopy
06-28-2010, 08:03 PM
We aren't affected by this one, but this is our first year living in a hurricane zone and we are nervous about forecasts that are predicting a higher than normal occurence of storms. We are getting prepared with supplies, etc., and watching the weather like hawks. I hope Alex passes you by and that all stays calm for you!! Beth, not to knock the forecasters (too much) but they predict that every year. Seriously. Get yourself a weather radio and set it for your county. Since you're on the coast, you should evacuate as soon as they give the orders. Keep your cars gassed up as much as possible during hurricane season, have plenty of bottled water and batteries, propane for your gas grill. Oh and keep cash on hand and maybe a couple of filled up gas cans. And don't panic :)

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Beth, not to knock the forecasters (too much) but they predict that every year. Seriously. Get yourself a weather radio and set it for your county. Since you're on the coast, you should evacuate as soon as they give the orders. Keep your cars gassed up as much as possible during hurricane season, have plenty of bottled water and batteries, propane for your gas grill. Oh and keep cash on hand and maybe a couple of filled up gas cans. And don't panic :)

Adding some can goods, a first aid kids, and scan all your pictures, or get a waterproof - fire proof box. Easier to print out important papers and pictures from a CD than to carry them all !! Make sure to have extras of any meds.

I agree don't panic, that would be much worse than being prepared !

BPier12
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Uncharacteristically, I'm not the one panicking, my DH is! We have basic supplies already -- need to get some more water, DH brought home MORE batteries today (we're starting to look like Wal-Mart here...), and we need to look into a grill or barbeque, but all in all, I feel like we are in pretty good shape.

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Uncharacteristically, I'm not the one panicking, my DH is! We have basic supplies already -- need to get some more water, DH brought home MORE batteries today (we're starting to look like Wal-Mart here...), and we need to look into a grill or barbeque, but all in all, I feel like we are in pretty good shape.

Tell DH to take a deep breath, the first one you go through is the hardest......... after that then only the big ones scare you. We have storm fronts that come from the north with winds to 90 + MPH, and storms off the Gulf too. So hurricanes don't bother me to much till they are catagory 4 or higher. Then I get the closet really ready LOL

StartingOver
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
So far we have had a few bands of hard rain, Alex is sure taking his time. Just enjoying the warm waters of the gulf.