PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Philosophy - Coursera Class Just Starting

Stella M
01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
https://www.coursera.org/#course/introphil

In case anyone is interested for their high schooler. It's free and it looks like a nice intro. Lucy just started the course today.

Jen Law
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I have been doing their Modernism and Postmodernism couse for a few weeks now. It is much heavyer on reading than I had anticipated but definetly good quality online courses.

Demian Yumei
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Stella, my daughter is currently enrolled in the film class, Language of Hollywood and the class on Aboriginal World View which just started. We had considered the philosophy class but decided against it at this time. I'd love to compare classes your daughter may have signed up for with my daughter's, and perhaps we can take it together. My biggest frustration is not being able to get any interest in my local home school group. Most of the older kids are in cyber school, and therefore do not have time or interest in any additional classes. I'm willing to create a study group on a private forum I have created just for that purpose, but is not currently is use.

Brhiannon is 15 and is very artistically inclined, so her classes will tend to lean in that direction. I do have her signed up for A Short History of Humankind, as we need a world history class, and I think this might fit the bill for us. The date is to be announced. The history course that started from 1300 on was more of a challenge than I thought good for my daughter just starting out with these courses. The film class is a great start. It covers a lot of material, but is not reading intensive in the least, which is a good thing for her.

How does Lucy like her class so far?

I love the whole coursera experience. I just would love to see more home schooled teenagers use it and come together as a study group.