PDA

View Full Version : History for 6th Grader

sb550h
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Any recommendations for 6th grade history.-- my daughter uses Social Studies: The World, Grade 6 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0328017663/ref=wms_ohs_product), by SCott Foresman. She does it without any enthusiasm. I was wondering if anyone had other suggestion we could try. She is not fond of History perse, enjoys learning Geography and Government.We are using anoother Program Cicero for History- but it does not have much of ancient civilizations. Cicero is more about American History.

Thank you,

CloverBee&Reverie
01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm glad you asked- I'm wondering about what topics I want to cover as I inch towards thinking about 6th grade history for my daughter next year.

OldFarmer
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
My son is in 6th this year (at K12) and is using A History of US by Joy Hakim. It's really not bad, IMO, but it is history, and not a lot of geography--though we do consult the map to see where things happened. He is definitely learning a lot more about US history than I did at his age. And he's interested, which can only mean the narrative of the book is good. He likes to read good writing and would not tolerate something too dull.

rktowne
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Are you looking for an alternative curriculum or an alternative to another History "program"?

bcnlvr
01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
We are locked into k12 American History (after 1865) for 6th (if DS11 is homeschooling in the fall). We are doing the first half now (up to 1865) and he really gets a lot out of it. The readings are short (like) and there are many discussion points (like). I also use the student and teacher pages (like). I also add in relevant geography and games (civics and geo are included but I don't use their geo). This is the first history course that he has taken that he actually seeks out Netflix shows about and talks about at the dinner table. Also, he was a history-hater and now....not so much.

Having said that, if we weren't a year off in *our* sequence, I would consider k12 for World History for 6th. Excellent text. I would just get the text and pages, not buy into the "course" that they offer. Too $$$.

bcn

Sionnon
01-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Maybe a more hands on, or literature based approach to history will make it more interesting. History Odyssey and Sonlight are the first two programs with a literature based history that comes to mind. Sonlight is not secular but it is fairly easy to pull out any religious books from their reading lists. My boys enjoy the literature approach to history.

farrarwilliams
01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
I used to teach brick and mortar school social studies (among other things). There is absolutely nothing more boring than a public school social studies text.

Stella M
01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
6th grade we cover 20th C history. Dd used SOTW 4 and a ton of historical fiction and biographies plus narrations.