PDA

View Full Version : Middle school curricula questions

Joesixpack
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm planning on homeschooling my sons through middle school (7th and 8th grade) and possibly beyond. I have a year and a half to get ready for the oldest. Where do I find out what subjects they need to master and where to get resources? I am startig my oldest on Singapore Math here in about a week and the younger one will follow pretty soon. Reading isn't a problem for either one of them as they both do so avidly. I'm wondering how to start a proper science and history program for them. I'll also add that the younger one is a bit ADD-ish so I'll probably have to tailor something that can work in small bites.

MrsLOLcat
01-24-2013, 11:30 AM
You can always check the core curriculum for your state; many of them have those posted somewhere on the state education site. If that doesn't seem to your taste, there are books on what your child should learn in X grade or you can check out Rebecca Rupp's book "Home Learning Year by Year." After that, you can decide what method will best work for you and your family and begin to decide on (or develop) a curriculum to work with that. You don't say how old your kids are (I've probably missed that post), but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any progress is better than none, and you can always play catch-up during the summer if they fall drastically behind :)

Teri
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
We used moving beyond the page (http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/default.aspx?affiliateGUID=ff3c9056-8eac-4e42-943d-549d72aeb03d")for 7th grade last year. They will come out with 8th grade this summer, so we will do it next year. This year we have been on our own, but the subjects covered next year aligned with what I was thinking we would do anyway (American History and Lit).

Joesixpack
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the Rupp recommendation, Mrs LOLcat, I'll check up on her. I'm also looking at the "Time4Learning" page for WA (the state we live in). My kids are 9 and 11 (4th and 5th grade) at the moment. I don't plan on taking them out of school until middle school (the elementary school they attend is exceptional and they get a lot of support there at the moment).

My plan is to get them started slowly with a gradual increase of afterschooling activities and over-summer work (less than an hour per day). I'll start the older one in the summer after he completes 6th grade.

Has anyone else started their kids' homeschooling at 6th grade? How did that go?

dbmamaz
01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
sometimes it makes a difference what your goals are - acceleration specific interests? keeping in step with the public school? Middle school materials are somewhat harder to find

WhatEverWorks
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
This might sound backwards, but I always start with where they need to end. Then, I plan based on where they are now and what the strengths and weaknesses are. So, my recommendation is to also look ahead to the high school objectives (curriculum , standards, what ever they're called in your state), especially if they might go back into public school.

I totally agree with Cara about how hard it is to find middle school material.