PDA

View Full Version : After years of consideration.

ercswf
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
It has taken 4 years longer then we had planned to make a decision on homeschooling. Then we chose to do it. My older son has been in public school for 3 years. My younger son did PreK and it was a disaster. Our reasons for home schooling this year (and hopefully every year here after) are many. They rang from crappy schools, to bad influences, to learning issues, behavioral issues, and family time issues.

The over view, My 7 1/2 year old son has been reading since he was 4, and doing addition and subtraction since then as well, in PS he has yet to move past those and is still being given beginner reader materials despite reading all the harry potter books at the age of 6. My younger son is 5 1/2 years old, he has, um, behavior issues and anger control issues that pop up when things change a lot (like as simple as me forgetting to have the pancakes ready monday morning at 7am so they are ready at 8) but he is bright as can be.

My husband was active duty military for a while and is currently in the Army reserves. (his attempt at staying in and providing more stability for us) So far he has done 2 15 month long deployments in the last 4 years. He is slotted for yet another one in a year.(funny he just got back!) Throw in the time away for drill and training and then the time college take and his job and he will not see our children almost at all until he is done with school. That is showing it's strain on the kids as well.

So for many good and selfish (some both ) reasons we will be homeschooling.

Oh, and I have a 3 month old daughter that my youngest doesn't like to leave.

Topsy
06-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Congrats on working your way through a difficult decision!! Making the decision to homeschool is never an easy one, but it sounds like you have thought through your options and made the right choice. I'm sure you will find it to be an exciting adventure and one that you will enjoy!! I hope this site will be a source of support and encouragement as you find your way. We have a group for Military Homeschoolers (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4) that you might want to join. There is also one for new homeschoolers too! Welcome to SHS.com!!!

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Welcome! I think whatever reasons you homeschool good for you for making the decision! I know one of our reasons was more family time also, and PreK was a disaster for my 5 year old too! I completely understand where you are coming from!

kcanders
06-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi and welcome. It is great to meet you. I have a 7 and 3 month old too, but my third is 10. It should be interesting adjusting to homeschool with a baby in tow. Our 3 month old has been extremely fussy for the last week or so and I can't get anything done.

It must be difficult having your husband gone for such long periods of time. Mine started traveling for work about 8 months ago and it has been difficult. He is only gone 3-5 days a week. I can't imagine 15 moths at a time. Good luck. I am excited to get to know you better.

Shoe
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the site. I hope you find it a great source of information and support. My thanks to your husband for his service. I'm sure that all those deployments must be terrible for the family. I look forward to getting to know you better.

ercswf
06-27-2010, 06:17 PM
The transition shouldn't be to terrible hard. After about 1 month of PS my older boy starts to beg to be homes-chooled. (we used to live by a family when in colorado that home-schooled) He never really wanted to go to PS in the first place. Most my family is on board and thinks its a good idea. Only one of my grandmothers and my SIL will have issues. But I know my grandmother will come round to the idea when she see's my kids are not getting cut off from the world. As for the SIL , she will never be ok with it because she is a "teacher" (went to school but has yet to land a job in several years of looking) and thinks that the socialization in public schools teaches kids how to function in real life situations.

But were really excited. Our books should start coming in over the next week or two. And we plan to begin on July 5th since we are taking a bit off in august with my husband being gone.

BeverlyM
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Kudos to you for taking on the challenge! And good luck!

Shoe
06-27-2010, 09:07 PM
As for the SIL , she will never be ok with it because she is a "teacher" (went to school but has yet to land a job in several years of looking) and thinks that the socialization in public schools teaches kids how to function in real life situations.Thank goodness real life is not like public school! I've got a few friends who are homeschooling parents who are also ex-teachers...after getting disillusioned with the public school system, they switched careers and took their kids out...just saying.

StartingOver
06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Welcome. My son and his wife are active duty, they have just decided to get out in a couple of years, before starting a family. Neither or them thing they could leave the kids. I think they will homeschool too, as both will still be finishing college also.

InstinctiveMom
06-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi! I'm new here too and also in TX. It took us a while to come back around to homeschooling as well, and we're so happy that we did! Good luck!!
~h

Snoopy
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the group :)

pandahoneybee
06-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Welcome to a great group;)

leav97
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome :)

reversemigration
06-30-2010, 08:28 AM