PDA

View Full Version : Arab-Israeli Conflict Resources - Finding Balance - Palestine ?

Stella M
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Just working out dd's Modern History in a little more detail. We're planning a trip to the Jewish Museum, as well as attending several workshops/events there this year.

I really need to balance it out with some resources from the Palestinian perspective ( cultural, historical ).

Online exhibitions ? Good books ? I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Any ideas ?

farrarwilliams
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
It's a little young (more of a middle school book than a high school one), but I really liked Habibi by Naomi Shahib Nye. And as you would expect from a novel by a poet, it has lovely language.

I feel like I have another suggestion... I'll keep thinking.

Stella M
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I found a novel called Mornings In Jenin, which looks promising. It's hard to work out this balance thing. I read some reviews on Amazon that accused it of being inaccurate and anti-Semitic - not my aim in history! - but the reviews in the Guardian, the Independent and Kirkus mention nothing of the sort.

farrarwilliams
01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I think I would trust The Guardian over an Amazon reviewer. :p

Stella M
01-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Yep.

Although I suppose one would expect the Guardian to be pro-Palestinian.

farrarwilliams
01-17-2013, 10:32 PM
True. But at that age, I would expect to have resources that have a potential element of controversy.

Stella M
01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
The history text we have is very neutral. I just want to balance out the emotional experiences of both sides.

Have found a few good books, radio doco's and documentaries while I've been looking today, so I guess I answered my own question :)

Gummers
01-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Since you answered you own question, I'll just leave this gem here: http://i.imgur.com/ZUVCL.jpg

Every map is like this that is sold here. Israel has been blacked out and then laminated over. The flag's been done the same way.

Stella M
01-18-2013, 02:28 AM
I don't understand, sorry. What is the map meant to be showing ?

And in what context are you suggesting its use ?

Dd's textbook already covers examples of both Zionist and Palestinian propaganda.

I'm looking for resources that present the narrative of living under occupation, to balance the narrative of a Jewish homeland.

Gummers
01-18-2013, 03:26 AM
I'm not suggesting you use it - you mentioned you already found what you were looking for on your own today and had already answered your own question...

I was just making a comment on how difficult it can be to find balanced sources regarding israel/palestine. I thought you might have found it interesting. The map shows a real life example of anti-israel propaganda, that the name "Israel" is blacked off the map by hand as the government doesn't recognize its legitimacy. This is the map hanging in my daughter's room because unaltered maps are simply not available.

Stella M
01-18-2013, 03:58 AM
OK, thanks. Where are you guys ?

Gummers
01-18-2013, 05:32 AM
OK, thanks. Where are you guys ?

UAE Dubai.

Pefa
01-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Have you read Tasting the Sky (http://www.amazon.com/Tasting-Sky-A-Palestinian-Childhood/dp/0374357331/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358595459&sr=8-2&keywords=palestine+memoir+young+adult)? I found it haunting. A peace to end all Peace (http://www.amazon.com/Peace-End-All-Ottoman-Creation/dp/B0006SHMRK/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358595580&sr=1-2&keywords=peace+to+end+all+peace) is a good readable account. the movie Munich also made it so clear how deeply entrenched we get in our own views.

Stella M
01-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you Pefa, that's great!